• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, the Basilissa's husband is a Swede, and it's a regular marriage, so the ERE will become Swedish. Question is, why isn't it the first son who will inherit? Bastard? Or is this an elective monarchy here?

First son was probably born before she came to the throne, second son was born and thus is the only kid with the 'born in the purple' trait. The oldest kid with born in the purple supercedes all of the other children, IIRC.

(By the way, the best part is that it's not just a Swede, but apparently also a mercenary leader who is the husband of the empress and the father of the future emperor.)
Yes, that's what I was trying to point out. ;)

The Emperor (by marriage) is the head of the Varangian Guard, and so his dynasty will inherit and their children are Swedish Orthodox.

Well, the Basilissa's husband is a Swede, and it's a regular marriage, so the ERE will become Swedish. Question is, why isn't it the first son who will inherit? Bastard? Or is this an elective monarchy here?

(By the way, the best part is that it's not just a Swede, but apparently also a mercenary leader who is the husband of the empress and the father of the future emperor.)

If the second son has "born in the purple" he is higher on the list to inherit over the first bro. The first one was probably born before the mom became empress.

If the second son has "born in the purple" he is higher on the list to inherit over the first bro. The first one was probably born before the mom became empress.

Hate that rule myself. Sucks when your emperor lives long enough that your heir has several near-grown children. Then he inherits, and his wife pops out a late one, and now you're stuck with a regency when he dies unexpectedly.

Its because the first son is going to inherit the Varangian Guard. The game usually wouln't allow one child to take two top liege inheritances without some meddling.

As you can see, she is his first wife. Unless the first son is illegitimate.

That's a very pretty and plausible AI Byzantium there. As opposed to the humungous blob and/or Fatimid-ridden hellhole it usually tends to become
I do tend to feel warm and fuzzy every time I see the Levant in this scenario.

Last edited:
Hate that rule myself. Sucks when your emperor lives long enough that your heir has several near-grown children. Then he inherits, and his wife pops out a late one, and now you're stuck with a regency when he dies unexpectedly.

It makes me wonder why so many ppl don't know about this, as the ERE emperor you can make your heir any of your sons by granting the desirable one honorary title "Despot", so if you want your elder son with no "born in purple" to inherit give him the title and he'l become your heir, if you want your youngest son to inherit and he has older brother with born in purple also, you can use this trick even here so cheers :) , the only thing is you can't change that decision, that is you won't be able to grant Despot title to another son once you have done it for the first time, so choose wisely :)

I think they changed it because i have tried to make my seventh son my heir and it didn´t work.It only makes not born in purple equal to born in purple,if you give them Despot title.

I think they changed it because i have tried to make my seventh son my heir and it didn´t work.It only makes not born in purple equal to born in purple,if you give them Despot title.

That sucks. Historically it was more up to the discretion of the Emperor which child would inherit than inheritance laws.

It makes me wonder why so many ppl don't know about this, as the ERE emperor you can make your heir any of your sons by granting the desirable one honorary title "Despot", so if you want your elder son with no "born in purple" to inherit give him the title and he'l become your heir, if you want your youngest son to inherit and he has older brother with born in purple also, you can use this trick even here so cheers :) , the only thing is you can't change that decision, that is you won't be able to grant Despot title to another son once you have done it for the first time, so choose wisely :)

This is the first I've heard of this. I've been using the Depot title as a simple relations booster with my heir appearant.

You're sure it's the honorary Despot, not the King-level title? Do you have to have an elective succession law or something?

samwell.png

Don't make me laugh :D

I had a game when I conspired to make Hodor of house Hodor King of the Seven Kingdoms.

This is the first I've heard of this. I've been using the Depot title as a simple relations booster with my heir appearant.

You're sure it's the honorary Despot, not the King-level title? Do you have to have an elective succession law or something?

It's the award honorary title one. It works and my ERE is primo.

Here's another amusing AI ERE setup; no idea if this succession will actually happen (things can always change) but I don't think I've ever seen this before.

YjnPb.jpg

SxWvk.jpg

It makes sense, actually, and especially for the still post-Roman Doukas empire where life was different from the rest of Europe. She's listed as a Tough Soldier, war is the single thing she knows most about, she has a scar going right through her face that she must have acquired somewhere, probably in a rebellion attempt. She doesn't want to elevate or spurn any of the leading Byzantine families, including several branches of her own cadets (presuming she's not a cadet herself actually), so she goes for the captain of her household troops/bodyguard. Being Diligent should could've come up with something like that instead of following the easier routine of picking one of the typical BYZ aristocrats. What's relatively strange is that it's not a matrilineal marriage, keeping the Swedish surname for the heir.

Not sure what happened here as I haven't really been following events in the East. All down to the AI, though.

cSCri.jpg

LqRwA.jpg

First cousins as HRE and ERE. Not a bad little setup, eh?

My guess is that a dynastic dinastic extinction may have brought along a Salian succession from a normal alliance/prestige marriage some decades ago. Crown Authority, laws on women or succession wars explaining why some count's son and not the main Kaiser line inherited.

I know, nothing really strange about this, but I somehow never grow tired of this stuff:
View attachment 68553View attachment 68554
1170 & I have no idea what happened.

Not impossible, though normally I'd expect the son of the Holy Roman Emperor to elect to just die in such circumstances or simply be expelled/ransomed out of there. IMHO the game just has too stiff feudal mechanics binding you to land.

Last edited: