• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
gagahga.png

I've seen Wales doing that a couple of times now. Not sure how and why.

Older but much shorter "strange screenshot" thread merged into this one, if you're wondering about some oddities.

ck2_9.jpg

Just a couple of fun things happening down there in this game.

1. The Byzantine Empire is, generation after generation, crumbling bit by bit as various parts of it win their independence. Notice that giant chunk of the Kingdom of Syria in what use to be Byzantine Empire land? They're fond of declaring for anyone who rebels to give them in a hand in their independence.
2. The Emirate of Azerbaijajan: literally the biggest badasses down there, and regularly use the Byzantines as their personal pinata. See that little sliver of Georgia just north of the Byzantines? This picture is out of date, and Azerbaijan has since conquered them and made Georgia a now extinct kingdom. The even beat the freakin' Shia Caliphate in some random war!

I'm pullin' for Azerbaijan now, I confess it. I hope to one day see them punch out the HRE... which, unlike the Byzantines, is even more ridiculously powerful than it was at the start.

This. You must be a very fortunate player if this hasn't happened to you yet.

Or maybe it was just that people were so eager to expand over-quickly in the demo, leading to crap like this.

1) If the Mercenary attacks France because they couldn't pay him any longer - why should he use the Invasion casus belli?
2) This is not the demo; who has overexpanded anyway in you eyes?

And finally, we have a female baron who is taking the virginity of all the peasant girls. But we're ok with that. Prima Noctae event.

Noticed a revolt in a neighbor's province. Rebels were seiging the prince-bishop's holding because he'd supported his baron's claim to Primae Noctae. I go to see who the baron is and it's a 10 year old boy. Really made me feel like a late bloomer :/

When the first explorers were despatched to the north, they probably didn't expect to find lederhosen and sauerkraut there.

ck2_459.jpg

These Germans also seem to prefer the local pagan rites to Catholic mass.

Last edited:
1) If the Mercenary attacks France because they couldn't pay him any longer - why should he use the Invasion casus belli?
2) This is not the demo; who has overexpanded anyway in you eyes?

It's clear it's not the demo; no one's overexpanded.

What I meant was, in the demo, the bankrupcy=>mercenary takeover was quite common and commented on a lot. In the full game, it seems much less common, despite mercenaries being more expensive. My theory for this is that in the demo, people were so impatient they tended to overextend. In the full game, people aren't trying to conquer all of Europe in 20 years, and so are playing more conservatively.

This is probably one of the most bizzare games I have seen yet. I started in 1080 and unlike all my other games the Byzantines never managed to recover, they just got hammered by the Sultanate of Rum, Normans in Sicily, and civil wars at home. The Komnenoi took power, but were hampered by constant civil wars eventually after three empeors they were overthrown by these Norman vassals House Duergont who happened to be Cathari, then the Empire completely imploded now the Duergnot Emperors hold court on Chios, and barely maintain control of Crimea and Athens. The Orthodox Duke of the Aegean Islands rose up in civil war and currently holds Constantinople and some assorted territory, the muslims control the rest. Too bad my claim on the Byzantine throne expired a generation ago otherwise I would totallyclaim the throne and become the Byzantine Emperor of Italy, I would throw the pope out and claim Rome too! (actually this is my new goal)

CathariByzantineEmperor.png

Also the Muslims have just been destroying everyone while the HRE has captured North Africa Maurentia has sacked Al Andalus and moved into France, I think this is because the HRE has been in turmoil and civil wars this entire game, the Salinas lost control to the Von Luxembourgers and of course my constant meddling.

IslamAscendant.png

Also of note I am so happy to have actually broken off from the HRE it was the hardest fight I have had so far, even in the middle of a civil war it took 50 years of stockpiling gold for mercenaries beefing up my conscription laws, and caused the deaths of pretty much every mercenary in the western hemisphere along with at least 100,000 levy troops over a 8 year period.

This is probably one of the most bizzare games I have seen yet. I started in 1080 and unlike all my other games the Byzantines never managed to recover, they just got hammered by the Sultanate of Rum, Normans in Sicily, and civil wars at home. The Komnenoi took power, but were hampered by constant civil wars eventually after three empeors they were overthrown by these Norman vassals House Duergont who happened to be Cathari, then the Empire completely imploded now the Duergnot Emperors hold court on Chios, and barely maintain control of Crimea and Athens. The Orthodox Duke of the Aegean Islands rose up in civil war and currently holds Constantinople and some assorted territory, the muslims control the rest. Too bad my claim on the Byzantine throne expired a generation ago otherwise I would totallyclaim the throne and become the Byzantine Emperor of Italy, I would throw the pope out and claim Rome too! (actually this is my new goal)

CathariByzantineEmperor.png

Also the Muslims have just been destroying everyone while the HRE has captured North Africa Maurentia has sacked Al Andalus and moved into France, I think this is because the HRE has been in turmoil and civil wars this entire game, the Salinas lost control to the Von Luxembourgers and of course my constant meddling.

IslamAscendant.png

Also of note I am so happy to have actually broken off from the HRE it was the hardest fight I have had so far, even in the middle of a civil war it took 50 years of stockpiling gold for mercenaries beefing up my conscription laws, and caused the deaths of pretty much every mercenary in the western hemisphere along with at least 100,000 levy troops over a 8 year period.

sometimes history does actually repeat itself (see Manzikert battle)