• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As Italy in TPTT, I conquered Rome. The Pope evacuated to a nearby city in Savoy, took a wife and started a hereditary papacy. They stayed there for a while and then they relocated again... To Aquitaine!

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2228/popelol1.jpg

It had been an independent kingdom for most of the game and one of the Popes had married the Aquitainean queen, resulting in the next pope inheriting half of France.
The papal Aquitaine called two crusades and acted like the normal papacy. However, as you can see the Kingdom was still Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture, and the pope only had one daughter...

Behold, the Pope-Queen of Aquitaine!

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/2096/popelol2.jpg

But the unrecognized and unlegitimized bastard would still be of your dynasty... right?

Sadly, I've never encountered this in-game, as fun as it could be. Having the marry anyone cheat on just isn't as fun. Well, it's fun watching random rulers marry each other or something, but it isn't as hilarious for me.

Well, worse than that, I got the event without any other options... I had to click make a move (luckily she spurned the advances of the king)... weird stuff

Mods? Current version LFOE checksum?

Well, worse than that, I got the event without any other options... I had to click make a move (luckily she spurned the advances of the king)... weird stuff

You can not refuse if you are lustful.

The event has a condition in the first chain event trigger...

Code:
trigger = {
		--SNIP
		liege = {
			--SNIP
			NOT = { is_close_relative = ROOT }
                        --SNIP
		}
	}

So either the event shouldn't of triggered or there is something wrong with that event. Unless there is mods involved...

Oh, I wish I had the picture a but I was playing this game on another computer and something hilarious happened. I had a lustful ruler who was feeling quite.. lustful and the event happened that he was going to search for someone to... do things with. Turns out he found my wife! My wife found out I was having sex with my wife and got angry with me. Was quite puzzling, especially for the king I imagine.

But the unrecognized and unlegitimized bastard would still be of your dynasty... right?

Sadly, I've never encountered this in-game, as fun as it could be. Having the marry anyone cheat on just isn't as fun. Well, it's fun watching random rulers marry each other or something, but it isn't as hilarious for me.

No, a bastard (black blood symbol) is not considered part of your dynasty. Game over if he inherits. This incest event seems to be programmed on purpose because it's the only way a character can get the Inbred trait isn't it? The game won't let you marry close relatives.

78FE65188B4E9150A4E8C34A105F8B751EB325CE

Hey! Why the insults!? I thought you liked me ...

I believe it's because of his arbitrary trait.

Anyhow:

EEF37054A294690E03D2C0AFAD72E8AC76058C8B

Seems she didn't manage after all to match her present counterpart. Too bad, being ambitious and all, she surely would've been a great minstrel.

I think inbred checks for shared grandparents. The game WILL let you marry your first cousins, uncles/aunts and nephews/nieces. Half-siblings are verbotten though, as are parents and siblings of course.

A bit OffT I read somewhere that whole "kissing cousins" is overrated; i.e. if you were to get it on with your first cousin, there'd be some chance of problems, and higher than "normal", of course, but apparently it's about the same chance as if the woman had children in her late thirties. That's only if it's a one off though, if it keeps going on semisystematically you're gonna end up with Charles II of Spain.

Edit: Wall of Text warning.

Yeah, I just went by two games: one I had to restart when the Almoravids realized, "hey, free count"! and the other I restarted when I realized I'd given an in to the HRE into Iberia when I swore fealty to the Kaiser and he proceeded to steamroll the minor moorish states essentially killing my chances at expansion.

Third time's the charm though. Almoravids decided to annex Valencia the Duchy into their realm which gave me time for my daughters to grow and be married to a prince of Denmark (matrilineally, need to expand the dynasty) which gave me a reliable ally, and then my beautiful beautiful daughter who married the heir to France (normally, but the alliance, my goodness, that alliance...)

Then the Sheikh of Lleida and Tarragona DOWed Urgell when the count revolted against Barcelona, they annexed via assault and where rich enough to usurp the Emirate of Barcelona, I took my chance before they could convert the three counties to Islam and managed to take go from Count of Valencia to Count of Valencia, Lleida, Tarragona and Urgell.

Then disaster struck in the first years of the 1100's! The Emir of Valencia DOWed me for Valencia, my only useful land holding. Thankfully though, Denmark and France rallied to my aid, the newly independent Barcelona counts offered to join the war. And then the Almoravids joined in the fun as well, which I managed to survive thanks to his Iberian blobbishness, Castille who joined in my defense as well.

I won the war against the Emir, and the Sultan Yusuf the Lion died from old age at 64 which brought peace. And the Emir brought about 300 gold, plus a gift from the Pope made my situation a bit more tenable. The succession war between the new Sultan (first son of the first son of Yusuf, though for some reason his father was skipped over and become Emir of Valencia instead of Sultan) and his uncle (the second son of Yusuf) raged for a decade which allowed a nice Reconquista.

First came Murcia, which had broken off, and while that was going on, Ramon Berenguer of Barcelona attacked me. Luckily the gold from the victories allowed me to get two mercenary companies (the small 75 gold ones) to end that war in victory while I kept siegeing Murcia. When that was over I DOWed Barcelona and Empuries to have them as my vassals, and as Barcelona had just been crushed I was able to easily win that and then revoke the title from the guy to move my capital there.

Finally by 1117 there was a Holy order available so I decided to go holy warring one last time with Rodrigo to cash in on his piety and took the loyalist Granada in 1119, and the breakaway Cordoba in Feb 2 1120. Duke Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar of Barcelona then died in March 27 1120 at the grand age of 77 due to severe stress.

His son, Diego, is my current soon to die character at age 72. He usurped the Crown of Aragon, and liberated a recently conquered Sicily which had been invaded by the Fatimid Caliph three months prior. I DOWed him so fast his head must have spun, though he would then return the favor tenfold. Diego Diaz de Vivar has managed to expand into France when the Capets got ousted from the throne itself by pressing the claims of my two daughters by Beatrix de Poitiers, into Gascogne and Aquitaine.

His main claim to fame has got to be the survival against the Second Fatimid Invasion of Sicily. Which also brought the MOFO Sultante of Rum in as an ally, as the sister of the Sultan of Rum is the primary wife of the Sultan of the Fatimids. FML. He also just recently took advantage of a breakaway Seville to annex it to the realm, though now it's time to rebuild...

and get the freaking Empuries back under the Crown of Aragon! How the hell Empuries became part of the Duchy of Britanny and independent when the CA is set to High I'll never know. What's worse is that the Count of Empuries was my vassal and he then became Duke of Britanny. AFAIK, that should mean he's still my vassal, only a Duke instead of a Count!
That's a pretty impressive campaign, I have never ever managed to get much bigger than a small/medium size duchy with a Count start (other than ireland 1066 start obviously), although the only counts I have played the Karling/deVivar/Conchobair families. For me it is a major problem if I am vassalised because there typically arent many counts that are under direct rule/aren't under a powerful duke and in kingdoms with higher Crown Authority, especially in later starts. Late date starts annoyed me because there aren't many opportunities for statelets to survive and thrive, and in ck2plus, small empires are automatically destroyed through events and you can't attack another religious group without a world war starting.

That's a pretty impressive campaign, I have never ever managed to get much bigger than a small/medium size duchy with a Count start (other than ireland 1066 start obviously), although the only counts I have played the Karling/deVivar/Conchobair families. For me it is a major problem if I am vassalised because there typically arent many counts that are under direct rule/aren't under a powerful duke and in kingdoms with higher Crown Authority, especially in later starts. Late date starts annoyed me because there aren't many opportunities for statelets to survive and thrive, and in ck2plus, small empires are automatically destroyed through events and you can't attack another religious group without a world war starting.

A good idea is to live outside the de-jure territory. If you start in Burgundy or Italy you are unaffected by the HRE crown laws, and likewise starting anywhere in Aquitaine means at least 100 years of complete freedom.

Otherwise, as a vassal you need to proactively bring disaster to your liege to weaken him - he's not your ally! - If you make sure a weak leader is put on the throne by assassinations etc you can inspire revolts that can easily lower the CA.

If you need to expand then play the marriage game - marry a female heir, who is far up the line and murder those ahead of her so your next generation will inherit. You can even do this with your daughter in an elective realm, if you can find a heir or next-in-line who utterly despise their liege, marry them matrilliniary, then make sure your dear son-in-law inherits asap.

Also remember that wars outside the realm is allowed up to Absolute crown authority, you can attack weak lone states and claim them for yourself. If you take a title equal to your liege you can even secure your own independence!

Also remember that wars outside the realm is allowed up to Absolute crown authority, you can attack weak lone states and claim them for yourself. If you take a title equal to your liege you can even secure your own independence!

Essentially this. If you swear fealty to a powerful and distant king, or Emperor even better, you can grow outside of the realm as usual, which in Iberia is a great because your surrounded by great opportunities every time there's a succession crisis in the big realms. The only possible problem you might have is that by swearing to the Kaiser or Basileos, he might realize that he's huge and powerful and a new little corner of his empire is surrounded by easily conquered heathens, so they might DOW the weak targets you intended for yourself and hence deny them to you.

Emperors are great because you can essentially grow to Kingdom level within the protection of the greater realm from outside invasions while being able to take potshots at neighbouring realms.

As to the mini AAR, right now... Diego I died, Diego II inherited. His brother, Luis, was made duke of Seville by Diego II but still rebelled in a succession crisis which thanks to the fact that Seville was recently conquered and wrong culture and religion didn't take much to put out. Right now the future King is my only son, Rodrigo, who's set to inherit my kingdom + Croatia and Jerusalem from his mother. Very vexingly though, I married him off to the daughter of the King of Castille Luis I, which was great because I would then be able to call on the Iberian ally. This King then died of old age, and his genius mastermind theologian son, and my son's brother-in-law inherited. I was looking forward to pushing my grandsons claim when he was born. Unluckily, someone killed Rodrigo's wife before she could produce a son, so I only have one granddaughter whose claim I might press. And then the King of Castille died sick in bed due to illness at age 30.

I'm thinking I'm going to push my granddaughter's claim to Castille while her cousin the current king is relegated to King of Leon alone. And then, when Galicia finally drifts into Castille and it becomes a titular title, I'll have her killed so my son inherits Castille from her. Yay!

There's been no growth in territories and Empuries remains Breton on account of a Second Crusade for Jerusalem; currently the Kingdom is de jure held by Queen Sofia the Just of Croatia, my lovely wife, though most of the territories are held by either the Fatimids or the Seljuks. The Crusade started during the reign of Diego I, and Diego II joined in the fun to try to get more counties to his wife which will later be inherited by his son. However, the Crusade lasted for 10 years and ended in white peace, and was truly a world war. The Seljuks in Persia reach the Meditteranean in Aleppo, and are also the same dynasty as the Sultans of Rum, plus all the sundry muslim realms who joined, against a laundry list of Kingdoms and Duchies. Terrain ended up being the main advantage though due to attrition and length between catholic reinforcements.

When the Crusade ended though, the Persians basically imploded due to a child king, and they're hovering at 97% decadence so I'm forseeing some nice expansion in the area thanks to rebelling dukes.

And a JIHAD was called for Andalusia by the Sunni Caliph against me. Again. Thankfully Europe came to my aid, and the Hospitallers where hired for some piety and 0 maintenance costs, plus some of my levies where able to crush the armies marching all along Africa as they didn't have enough boats to move the massive stacks, so I was able to intercept them with ship landings at 2 to 1 odds or better almost constantly.

I'm playing a handsoff game whilst I read for funsies, so I'm not entirely sure HOW it happened, but

73p6L.jpg

1. They are based in Pisa and not actually Jerusalem.
2. Also they have a bunch of silly provinces scattered around the mediterranian like Granada, Corsica and Modena.

Pisa won crusade for Jerusalem ... easy enough to explain

He did say they're not in Jerusalem anymore, but it's common enough to see the title continue to exist elsewhere, since its creation conditions prevent Muslims from creating it. I've even seen all of Jerusalem proper drift to Egypt, and Jerusalem hold de jure land in Brittany and Wales.