• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
gd28U.jpg

What about Knights Templar Grandmaster King Louis VI of France:D?

It took a lot of scheming, money and innocent lives to achieve this but now I have a cool title with primogeniture succession (although it's a duchy title so I got -10 relations hit :/) and free crusaders :)

How did you pull that one off?
First I took possession of duchy in de jure France, then I gave it to the grand master together with duchy of Alexandria. Since I was his de jure liege, had +100 relation and was quite strong he accepted vassalization offer from me.
Then one of his successors changed inheritance from Open Elective to Gavelkind, unfortunately all his children died in accidents :p so as his liege I inherited all.

That's rather interesting, Myrten. Every time I've given land to the monastic knightly orders, the game has considered them independent. Is there any trick to getting them to recognize your suzerainty?

That's rather interesting, Myrten. Every time I've given land to the monastic knightly orders, the game has considered them independent. Is there any trick to getting them to recognize your suzerainty?
They will be independent when you give them land. In order to have them as vassals you have to use 'Offer Vassalization' diplomacy option, it's hard to make them agree but it's doable (de jure liege + same culture + 100 relations).

So in my case I gave them Duchy of Anjou which seceded from France but came back when they agreed to become my vassal.

Ahh, I missed that detail in your original post. I have no idea why I never thought of doing that, it's a fantastic idea.

Alas, a quick check reveals that none of the Orders would be willing to go along with it in my Sicily game. Oddly, the Pope is perfectly willing to excommunicate the Hospitallers for me, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, AI grand master changed it from Open Elective to Gavelkind although I dunno how. Maybe Grandmaster was not his primary title?

Alas, a quick check reveals that none of the Orders would be willing to go along with it in my Sicily game. Oddly, the Pope is perfectly willing to excommunicate the Hospitallers for me, though.

I assume you are King of Sicily so you should give duchy in de jure Sicily to the grand master, however it may now work for you since you are Norman and grand masters used to be Frankish, German and Italian so you are being hit by culture penalty.

Last edited:
ck2_6.jpg

ck2_7-1.jpg

very fractured england and france.....
And Cordoba in northern france....:blink:

NOT MY DOING! I've been busy schemeing on how to make the Shia Caliphate fall apart so the pope will get the balls to call a crusade for Jerusalem!

qdrCC.jpg

Not sure if this is a common occurrence when Muslims conquer Rome or not.

I conquered and re-converted Rome, but the Papacy remains Muslim 70 years later. There are no more Catholic crusades, but everything else seems to be working fine. Oh well - at least I don't have to worry much about my bishops sending their tax to the pope thanks to the infidel modifier.

• 1Haha
Reactions: