• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Internal Affairs and a Crossing the Adriatic Sea

Of Various Things

In March 1201, a genius of an engineer came to Turquetil, with proposals on how to make the castles of Palermo even bigger. Especially, the keep. It was thought that over the years, Palermo castles have been built to the max, but since there would be some room for improvements, Turquetil commissioned a new grand keep to be built, first in Monreale, then in other castles. Overall, that would increase the available troops by 25%, but the cost was tremendous, 500 gold (well, that’s about 4-5 month income, to be honest) and it would take over 5 years to complete. Still, Turquetil accepted the construction.

sicily194.jpg

When large isn't great enough anymore

Following the conquest of Rome and curbing the Papacy, the Cathars started to consider Turquetil some kind of holy man. Not a saint, for there are no saints in Catharism, but something in the lines of purest of the rulers. Bishops and perfecti gathering in Palermo declared Turquetil as a perfecti supremus, some sort of holiest of the holy men. Ok, basically, they created saint from him, though no-one would dare to say that. Overall, Turquetil the Holy, new holy man for Cathar faith and third saint from de Hauteville family, was becoming more popular with the Bishops and strangely enough, even with the Pope.

sicily195.jpg

Holy Turquettil!

In June 1201, a son was born to Turquetil and Adelaide. They named him Robert Guiscard, after the creator of the dynasty and the first Duke of Apulia, who had started all the mess. The future Emperor seemed to be holding up the usual de Hauteville quality.

sicily196.jpg

de Hauteville line is secure- and future looks bright, with this lad becoming the next Emperor.

Across the Adriatic

In July 1201, Normans finally crossed the Adriatic Sea, by declaring Holy War on Kingdom of Croatia, with intent to capture the Duchy of Dalmatia, consisting of two provinces, Zadar and Split. 2 weeks later, Kaiser Leopold of the Unholy Large Empire joined on Croatian side. That made the intended cakewalk a bit more difficult.

In August, Norman troops were ready to invade when first reports came that large German army was marching through Verona. Swiftly, the fleet changed direction and sailed there, releasing 21 000 Normans upon the Germans. Thus, the first battle of the war was fought between Empires, not against Croatia. 6000 Germans lost their life and the small army was annihilated to the last man, while Normas lost only 400.

After the victory, Normans boarded the fleet again and by the end of August, landed in vicinity of Split. By 4th September, the city that was built into the ruins of palace of the Roman Emperor Diocletian and all the surrounding lands were Norman. By the end of September, Zadar suffered similar faith.

After securing two provinces, Norman army boarded the fleet once again to help the Doge of Mallorca with the rebels, leaving just small garrisons behind them. The arrival was just in time- Doges own troops were defeated by the rebels and the beautiful Eivissa, capital of the province, was threatened to be looted and burned by the rebels. A mix of Muslim, Spanish and Norman cultures and architecture, the city was a marvel of the Mediterranean and one of the most beautiful in the Empire. So no wonder that Duke Torf was that greatful that Norman main army rushed to his rescue- actually, grateful enough to finally embrace the new religion, leaving Adelard de Hauteville, Doge of Ancona, the only grown-up ruler in the Empire who still embraced Catholic faith.

Croats were of course using the time to gather their own counter-attack and were sieging Zadar with over 7000 soldiers- only to be defeated in battle in the beginning of December 1201. Same time, Byzantine de Hautevilles asked Turquetil to help them in their war for Rhodes. Doux Isaakios I “The Great” de Hauteville was planning to add yet another province to his realm, and was deemed perfectly capable of doing that without the help of Sicilian Normans.

Anyways, Normans beat the Croats, tracked them to Senj, beat the remnants of their army and took the province by January 1202. From there, they marched on to Veglia, took the province by the end of January, boarded ships yet again and took final coastal province of Croatia, Ragusa, by the end of February. Normans controlled the entire coastline of Croatia, but did not move inlands.

Meanwhile, troops of Kaiser Leopold were coming to the rescue. Two armies, one with 10 000 soldiers and another with 12 000, had been marching south all winter and had finally arrived to help the Croats. Both armies moved to Norman-controlled territories, one to Senj and other to Split. Smaller one that went to Senj was crushed by Norman army in March, but for the other one, it was decided that more troops would be good. So, African Dukes once again lent their troops to Turquetil and in the end of May, an army of over 20 000 Normans sailed across the Adriatic and attacked the Germans outside the city of Trogir.

sicily197.jpg

The situation on March 1202

Of 12 000 Germans, little over 3000 survived while Normans lost about 2000 men. Germans should learn by now that marching south equals marching to their doom. They have sent hundreds of thousands soldiers over the Alps, and every time they came back with their noses bloodied. Still, they came and came.

sicily198.jpg

Germans are beaten back

King Jitej I of Croatia wasn’t as stubborn as Kaiser Leopold though. All the coastal provinces were under Norman control, his personal armies defeated, Kaiser’s armies also lost. No wonder that King decided it would be a fine time to give up. Peace was signed in July 1202 and Normans became proud owners of Duchy of Dalmatia.

sicily199.jpg

New Duke eyeing his new lands

Of conversions

Mallorca was the first province to embrace Cathar faith. Scared by the rebels and grateful for the assistance of the King, the populace saw the light, drowned the Catholic priests and embraced the Catharism.

Palermo, capital of Sicily, was next. Randolf de Tabor, court chaplain of Sicily, had convinced the locals that Catharism is a way to go and seeing that King and everyone who mattered were converted anyway, the local population followed suit.

sicily200.jpg

Catharism way on it's way of becoming the dominant religion of the Empire

Over the year, several other provinces from all over the Empire converted as well, though the most of the populace were still loyal catholics.

Overall, things went well, until in the beginning of July 1203, Turquetil gained the following message:

sicily201.jpg

This is going to be interesting.

Chief Ragusa- total agreement here. Only thing is about truces- i can take one Duchy from HRE every 10 years. I'd like to see them split up, so i could get them faster. And Normandy is definitely in plans!
Nikolai- thanks a lot! :)
alhoward- as you can see, still able to win wars against HRE, so not a real threat. More like huge grey annoyance.

Ouch. A Crusade against you, that's no fun, with the mighty HRE probably joining in.:( Seems you're capable of taking him out though, good luck!

The Germans always die when they come south of the Alps. There's no one left to tell anyone about the Normans. It's why they keep coming back. Croatia wouldn't have been my first choice, but you may not have had any other options. Doubtless, you'll be working on that. This crusade against your Empire
should give you the opportunity to reduce the Emperor's prestige and see what will then shake loose.

The Crusade for Jerusalem

It started so well for the Pope. People from all over Europe answered to his cries that Jerusalem is in the hands of the heretics and the most Holy City must be liberated. Kaiser Leopold was the first to join, bringing the might of the Holy Roman Empire with him. Next were the Holy Orders. Both Templars and Hospitallers joined the war and as they had holdings in Holy Land, the warfare took off immediately. Finally, King of England and Queen of Castille joined the war, making almost all Europe to stand united against the heretic de Hautevilles. It seemed all well... but!

But Simpicitus II had forgotten one very important factor- Papal holdings were in 2 places. Bishopric of Trapani, located in the Isle of Sicily and Barony of Benevento, located in mainland Italy. Both were provinces controlled by de Hautevilles and well, that meant that the war started this way:

First, troops raised from Trapani strated the siege, then when troops from Girgenti joined them, they assaulted the holding. In 14th July, the Papal capital fell. Meanwhile, only 6000 troops were raised from Palermo, where they sailed to Napoli, marched to Benevento and kicked the Papal ass there.

The Crusade had lasted for a month when the Pope came crying down for a peace. In 1st August, Pope caved in and begged for mercy. Thus ended the Crusade for Jerusalem.

sicily202.jpg

This is the end

Hehh, it's the shortest update i have yet done- and it's the Crusade :D

Nikolai- well, that was fun actually. Albeit a little short!
alhoward- that would be a fun challenge actually. We'll see soon :)
Chief Ragusa- Heh, that's one way of describing why Germans are still coming! As fro Croatia- it's nearby, it's not owned by me and i want it! There will be other targets too, i promise.

I was roaring with laughter with that ending of the Crusade. It should be harder to win a war than that, especially a Crusade,.
So now, wit hdecade regulatrity, the Pope will issue a cry for Crusade nad lose his two paltry castles right away and lose more authority. More and more heresies will rise to sieze lands .It'll give the HRE several kinds of fits trying to keep his "empire" unified.

Absolutely awesome AAR. Just finished reading it (in one sitting ofcourse), so just wanted to say, keep it up! The Normans must rule all!

Just marathoned your AAR. Best CKII one I've ever read. Great work and great writing I've also learned quite a bit from your explanations (how to create a merchant republic etc.) so thank you for that.

This Means Holy War, part 1

Holy War for Aracena

Aracena, a single province inside a Duchy of Seville and owned by Duke Velasco of Algrave, an independent Iberian Duke, owning 2 provinces of Duchy of Algrave and a single county in Sevilla. To be honest, there is nothing much to tell about the war. War was declared in November 1203, 10 000 Normans sailed from Palermo, beat the enemy army coming to siege Cadiz, won the siege, took Aracena and moved to Algrave when the Duke gave up. Peace was signed in May 1204 , Normans got what they wanted and the province was gifted to the Duke Gerbert of Sevilla.

sicily203.jpg

The end of that small war

Holy War for Fez

Queen Benita of Leon was an old lady, aged over 60. She had been ruling the Kingdom since 1149, making it 56 years and still counting. She had consolidated her holdings, she kept the kingdom in order and she had been married to King Alderic the Great of France. Though Alderic had long passed, his lands now ruled by King Eudes, Juanita was still around. After Alderic died, she remarried, to the firstborn bastard son of Aderic, 20 years younger the the Queen. There were even rumors that Queen Benita had poisoned her husband, for he had discovered his young Bastard in his bed, shagging his wife. That is just court gossip though, the real worry for Normans was that King Eudes of France was the future heir of Kingdom of Leon and him currently being the vassal of Holy Roman Empire, the death of the Queen meant even growing influence of the Empire. Empire Leopold being brother-in-law to the daughter of Queen Juanita made them allies anyway and the relation between Empire and Leon much more closer then the Normans would have liked.

sicily204.jpg

Soap Opera Kings 2- meet Benita, his former husband, his new husband and bastard son of his old husband and finally the lucky sod Eudes, son of Benita and Alderic and heir to throne of Leon and the man who has to call his stepbrother stepfather

Few years ago, Benita felt her position was strong enough to expand- and to expand south, to Africa, trying to wrestle the Emirate of Fez from Muslim hands. Such a development had been worrying the Normans, who considered Africa their own backyard and didn’t look kindly upon other European powers attacking there. Even worse, Benita was winning- and with a help from Holy Roman Empire, no less, who had sent about 20 000 soldiers to Africa to help Benita with her conquest.

In July 1205, the Emir of Fez was finally forced to surrender. His only ally and former liege, Emir of Marrakesh (former Sultan of Mauretania) was under attack from Castille at the time, so the help gained from them would be non-existent. Most of his armies defeated, his provinces occupied and his coffers, the poor Emir had no choice but to surrender his lands to Leon.

Just 2 weeks after the peace was signed, Norman envoy entered the castle of Leon, demanding that Benita would withdraw from Africa and leave the continent to Normans. She refused, of course. So, without much choice, the envoy gave the Queen declaration of War, claiming Norman divine ownership of the province and stating that as proper Cathars, they much kick Catholics out of Africa. Less then 2 weeks after the first Holy War for Fez ended, the second one started, this time between Catholics. Another 2 weeks later, Kaiser Leopold intervened on behalf of Queen Benita and Holy Roman Empire and Hauteville Empire were at war yet again.

For the war with Emir of Fez had just ended, Germans were not able to bring their troops out of Africa yet. Turquetils first plan to divide his personal troops into two were shattered by two German armies marching from the south and looting and pillaging lands in Tangiers. Germans made a mistake of splitting up, one army of 8000 and another of 6000 soldiers. Norman troops combined their forces, first beat the 8000-soldier army, then sailed to next province, beat the 6000-soldier army and finally sailed to Tangiers to beat the remnants of the first army. That was the sad end of Germans troops in Africa. Two Dukes, of Orleans and of Gelre, the leaders of the armies, were captured and sent to dungeons in Palermo.

sicily207.jpg

Germans marching back from successful war with Muslims, only to find themselves fighting the Normans

sicily206.jpg

... and as usual, not being very good at fighting Normans.

Knowing that fortresses of Fez would be tough to crack, Normans did not plan their assaults. Unforgiving land and heavy fortifications required a different kind of approach. So, Turquetil ordered Doge Gervas of Tlemcen to munster his troops and start siege of the enemy lands. Figuig was the first one to be under siege.

Norman main army took a quick detour to Mallorca, where another Catholic revolt had been started. The rebels were quickly crushed, but the time was passing quickly. It was already December when the reports came of large Leonese army marching south through Seville. Normans set sail to meet them in the field of battle. Normans landed in the southernmost of Sevilles provinces, Algeciras. They marched to North and finally met the enemy outside the city of Ronda, some 50 kilometers from the coast.

As the armies approached each other, the Norman light scouts sent ahead rode back, screaming: “Templars! The Templars are with them!” Looks like this time Normans would have to face the toughest, most disciplined soldiers Europe has to offer.

knights-templar2.jpg

Templars marching to meet Normans at Ronda

To be continued...

Who will win? The Evil Catholic Templars of the Good Cathars Normans? Stay tuned to find out, in the next Episode of Brave and Heretic!

Chief Ragusa - actually, I agree. But somehow, i get the feeling that Paradox did not count for the fact that this kind of situation would arise. I mean, Normans taking Holy Land, making Kingdom of Jerusalem, putting a Pope on throne so that Pope gets bishopric of Trapani, turning heretic, taking Rome and finally having Pope at their mercy. That's what i love about this game- you never know what will happen. And i love even more that most of the time, even i don't know what will happen :p

Speaking of that, does anyone know what will happen in game if i take even the last of the two holdings from the Pope?

Tallfellow- thanks. And ruling "all" would be a bit too much, but grabbing the lands to remake the borders of Roman Empire at her peak have slowly crawled into my head... Around 250 years to play as well, so there might just be time for that, unless something horrible happens.
PointGiven - That's a very high praise. Thanks a lot and i'm glad you liked it! :)
Dovahkiing- Just look around in your game- you most likely have some kind of similar bizarre situation. :D I'm actually glad i declared war on Leon just to have discovered that mess :D

This remains a great AAR and a delightful read as always. The craziness with religion may not have been counted for, but it sure makes things a lot more fun!

On a related note, you've recently been awarded the Character Writer of the Week Award over in the main AAR forum. Congrats!

Saithis, thanks a lot for your praise and your nomination! Awesome! :)

Well, actually in the game I'm using for my AAR 'Peers of the Realm', something almost as equally bizarre happened:

Matad of Atholl overthrow King Duncan of Scotland with the aid of my huge mercenary army paid for with cheat gold. Now, I have no idea how the game allowed this, but it appears that not only was Matad's son Reginald's mother his paternal grandmother, but Matad was somehow married to his own mother, and so little Reggie was not considered a bastard and was allowed to inherit his incestuous daddy when he died of a coma....
Only to die at age 14 in an accident.

Well, he's just like Joffrey I assume: Never acknowledged for the bastard born of incest he is, his dad dies and he becomes king, and then dies unnaturally...

Are you sure George R.R. Martin doesn't code CKII's family mechanisms?
Oh no wait, he's been transferred to work on Soap Opera Kings 2 (no clue what happened to the original- perhaps there's a reason why...)
SOKII will come out soon: Its release will be strategically placed to coincide with the release of The Winds of Winter (we can dream...)

Anyway, to close out this unnecessarily Homer Simpson-sized reply, this is an awesome job, fully deserving of the Best Character WritAAR award or any other AARland can give. Keep up the good work (I noticed this has been running since CKII was released- how'd you do that?)

I'd expect the Pope to receive some other lands.

So Templars against Normans. No one can stop the Normans, unless it's Muslim sorcerors and theeir foul spells. The Germans have done what hey usually do against the Normans, died to the last man. I find it kind of ironic that The Templars are the ones defending Catholicism.. I'm not surpisedthat everywhere you turn, you find the HRE dogging your steps.

I find it funny that most games I have seen where there isn't a player in southern Italy means the place gets eaten alive by the Muslims. However as I am currently a loyal vassal to the Kaiser I can not help but hope that doom befalls you. Preferably German doom but I am ok with other forms of doom. Maybe another mistake where you misclick something and become Catholic again? Though if you managed to recreate the Latin Empire I would be very impressed and given your strength you could probably do it to. How are the Byzantines doing?