• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Heh, yet another 2 wars without battles fought...

grumpie- As you can see, moving into Egypt. As for patch 1.06- i've started the game when the patch was 1.1, now i'm up to 1.5 and no plans to give up. As for claim for Pisa- well, you can't have claims for Doges. But Pisa is a special case. It rebelled against the Emperor 50 years of so back, the Emperor took the Pisans, revoke the Doge title and gave it to Count of Provance, against whom the Pisans rebelled again, lost, got their county revoked. So we have Count Siegharten of Provance, who also happens to rule the city of Pisa. And when i went to war, took the title and city of Pisa, game made Roger de Hauteville automatically a doge. As for claims- the fact that i had a claim to Pisa was actually a surprise for me. I've been marring left and right and have about 10 claims to go to war with against the Kaiser, most of them useless baronies or counties up north, but apparently, had Pisa as well. :p
alhoward- I was thinking about making myself Holy Roman Kaiser- but decided against it. The thing is- i don't want to become Kaiser, i want to beat Kaiser back across the Alps!

Anyways, my dear readers! I've long ago decided that once i have 4 kingdoms, it is time to make an Empire. No, now for some modding to get the Empire in, but the question remains: what Empire? How should it be called? So, i'm asking for your help here- help me decide. Here is what i was thinking:

Norman Empire
Empire of Sicily
Yet Another Roman Recreation (YARR for short! :p)
Hauteville Empire
Empire of Jerusalem

Help me choose and of course, you are free to make the suggestions yourself as well! :)

Last edited:
Anyways, my dear readers! I've long ago decided that once i have 4 kingdoms, it is time to make an Empire. No, now for some modding to get the Empire in, but the question remains: what Empire? How should it be called? So, i'm asking for your help here- help me decide. Here is what i was thinking:

Norman Empire
Empire of Sicily
Yet Another Roman Recreation (YARR for short! :p)
Hauteville Empire
Empire of Jerusalem

Help me choose and of course, you are free to make the suggestions yourself as well! :)

You don't have Rome or Byzantion - yet
4 kingdoms is an achievement for the de Hauteville family. Sicily is the reason for their rise and it is fitting that the new Empire reflects this - the Empire of Sicily.

how bout somethign liek the emprire of the medditerenian(ofc. with fixed english)? it looks like youre well on the road to conquer eveyrthing around there.

what exactly is your stack and siege policy? i generally put eveyrthign in one large stack and assualt my way through evryones lands, but that proved very ineffective against larger realms as a not too large realm due me losing over 10k jsut from attrition and sieging. i do have noticed that you seem to split your army in half, siege for a bit, and then assualt when its morale is lower. also, how many cities do you have in your demense? from observation it looks like you have 2 or so, but at this point i'd say that army is MUCH more improtant.

nice to see youre moving on egypt. its lands are quite rich, and with all the rebelliosn going on oyu should be able to grab some more lands just using your personal levies.

Last edited:
De facto Empires were often called by the family's last name(Carolingian Empire, Jagiellonian Empire, etc.), so Hauteville Empire gets my vote.

Empire of Sicily.

I'd say conquer Rome, move your capital there, and declare a new Roman Empire. Then, naturally, have a bog ol' war with the HRE over the honor of succeeding the Romans in the west. After you've won, either mod out the HRE or change it to something like 'The German Empire'.

Realistically, if we can even use that word, the idea of the Roman Empire is the best and most sensible way of unifying your lands behind the de Hautevilles. However, it may make more sense to call it 'The Empire of Rome' than 'The Roman Empire', as the former simply implies an empire centered on Rome while the latter implies a 'Roman' identity to the people of the empire in question, while both still imply succession to the old Roman Empire. I believe that the Europeans of the age were somewhat beyond identifying themselves as Roman, and as such the latter makes less sense.

And some replies inbetween:

Chief Ragusa- neither did Charlemagne have Rome of Byzantium, didn't stop him though. :p
grumphie- as for stack and siege: it varies, depending on support limit and castle sizes. I'll try to keep armies just under support limit of the province. If the castle has low defenses and low garrison, like an average European fortress, then i'll assault right away and take the province in less then a month. If the province has good defenses and 2000-3000 armies garrisoning it, i'll send in a force under the supply limit so i'll never lose troops to attrition and then when it's taking too long time to fall or i'm just bored, i'll bring in fresh troops and assault away. About cities- had another, built it up, gave little more income then a castle, so gave it away and built another castle. So currently have only Palermo- cities outside capital net only few golds more then a castle and produce less troops more slowly. If i could rewind the game, i would have built Palermo a bit different though: 2 cities and 3 castles instead of 1 city and 4 castles. Still, there is more then 150 years for the game and i'm suspecting that after 50 years or so i have nothing left to build and Bohemond XVII can take gold baths :p
esemesas- true about Carolingian, but did they ever call Poland-Lithuania Jagiellonian Empire? Or for that matter, an Empire at all?
germanpeon- move away my well-established lands in Sicily to the Rome? That would work, if i could make one bishopric in Rome into castle, then it would be an improvement, but now... it would be the same with much of tyranny rating for revoking every castle and city to my own. Rather i'd name Palermo New Rome, conquer Rome and name it Dump :p Seriously though, i'd prefer to do with something new, not try to recreate the good old Empire of Rome.

Rest of you, thank you for voting!
Now, currently the score seems to be:

Empire of Sicily, 3 votes
Hauteville Empire, 3 votes
Empire of Mediterranean, 1 vote
Empire of Rome, 1 vote

Oooh, i feel like in an Eurovison! :p

I'll keep on counting and in case life doesn't come up with something nasty (btw, life, this was not a challenge), i'll call the votes and write an update on Thursday.

Thanks for replies, everyone!

esemesas- true about Carolingian, but did they ever call Poland-Lithuania Jagiellonian Empire? Or for that matter, an Empire at all?

Not really, but informally, it is sometimes and also it's a region in EU III(Poland-Lithuania, parts of Hungary, Bohemia and Germany).

ooooooo, a update tomorrow. cant wait.

if youre swimming in gold: go do some charity: marry lowly claimant into your dynasty, and help him into power and support him. got the whole map united against the mongols that way once:p it was not pretty. + you get a free ally

This AAR us great : I really enjoyed reading it in one time !

My vote goes to the Norman Empire. It's far too diverse to be called after one place, and Norman authority and culture si what cements it together.

Now, I have a question : how does this Doge system work ? Vassal management has never been my specialty, and having tax-paying Republics instead of power-hungry feudal rulers seems à great prospect...

its easy. give a mayor control of a count, preferably a coastal one. do that wiht every county in the duchy. after that, you make the county holder with the highest potental wealth(most holding slots) doge. a 5 county full coastal duchy in muslim lands+harsh city tax should bring in almost 100 a year.

Coronation of Emperor Bohemond I

Bohemond III de Hauteville was leaning at the window in his palace in Palermo. It was typical day in the Mediterranean- sunny, warm, with gentle breeze, blue sky and even bluer water. He was used to it, but he still knew to appreciate it. The stories of Hauteville homelands, not even Normandy, but the cold, unforgiving land of Scandinavia, when in winter there was almost no light, when the snow would be up to your waist and when the polar bears knocked on the door and demanded all the bad children for lunch (Bohemond doubted that now, but in his childhood, he was truly terrified of the huge white beasts whose diet consisted of hooligans) and where you could walk on water... he still remembered them. He gazed north, but found nothing but the magnificent city of Palermo and beyond that, Mediterranean.

Below him, bustling city lived his own life. Now, with coronation close in hand, the city was even more crowded then usual. Dignitaries from all over the place, plus their followers, plus other interested people who came to see the coronation, plus horde of common folks, hoping to drink and eat on Bohemond’s expense till they drop, plus beggars, thieves, prostitutes and robbers- all of them making their way in the city. The port crammed with ships- of course, docks of Palermo were never empty, but this was something else. Masts and sails filled the harbour and there was even more coming from the sea. No wonder, for this was a special day even for Sicily.

Bohemond absent-mindedly gazed at the city and followed his own train of thought.

It was back in 1035 when first Normans came to Southern Italy. Not as conquerors, but as mercenaries. Fighting for Byzantines, fighting against them, fighting for Langobard Dukes and against them. Bohemond chuckled. What would his great-great-great-great-great grandfather, Roger Guiscard, adventurer, highway robber, mercenary, say to a man who told him that in time, power of his heirs not only rivalled the great Byzantine empire, but surpassed it? He would most likely thought that man to be crazy or drunk of both.

It had happened though. From Apulia to Sicily, from Sicily Normans under rule of de Hautevilles were expanding everywhere. The Muslims from Africa defeated, Holy Land under Norman control, on their way to becoming masters of Italy, owners of the Mediterranean and made first small steps into Greece. Looked like nothing could defeat the Norman advance.

Today, in May 1192, it was made official. Today, Bohemond would be recognized as one of the three most powerful men in all Christendom. Kaiser Leopld II of the Holy Roman Empire, Emperor Hovhannes II of Byzanties and Bohemond I of Sicily. Of course, two first ones refused to acknowledge Bohemond’s title. They wrote polite letters of refusal, explaining Bohemond why they or their representatives cannot attend this ceremony, but they referred to him only as King of Sicily. It did not matter. Bohemond was stronger.

It was not easy to create title like this. The opposition of yet another Emperor was widespread, in both the courts of Europe, within Sicily and especially with the Pope. But it was just something one had to endure. Diplomatic envoys had had a very tiring last month, to soothe the other crowned heads of Europe and to make Dukes and Doges of Sicily to accept the title, Gifts were given, concessions were made... and as for Pope, the direct threat of Norman invasion had forced him to succumb. As for coronation, Pope refused to do the ointment and conduct a mass, claiming that he is too old and weak to travel.

Today, it did not matter though. Today was a day of glory and celebration and most expensive and lavish coronation ceremony ever. And now it was time.

Bohemond left the windows, walked through the door, left the palace and mounted the horse. His entourage was waiting for him, and they rode through the streets of Palermo, slowly, enjoying the cheers of people. Bohemond, his vassals, his soldiers, his friends and family, thousands of people riding with Bohemond on his procession. Tens of thousands people from all over Europe screaming his name. If Bohemond would have known the word, rockstar would have been proper.

Cathedral of Palermo was filled to the prim. People had trouble moving, breathing and to be honest, the stench of sweat, dirt and other side-effects of not washing regularly was so horrible that even the smell of myrrh that tried to fill the church had finally given up and went to some corner to pout.

Soldiers with halberds were keeping the path clear for Bohemond and kept the best seats of the church to the dignitaries following Bohemond. That resulted in bruises, black eyes and even some blood spilled, but no-one seemed to notice or care. Even the owners of black eyes did not seem to mind much.

As Bohemond approached the steps of the cathedral, the crowd grew even more restless, cheering, trying to get a glimpse of the King, pushing the soldiers back. Keeping his majestic slow pace, Bohemond walked towards the altar. It was Bishop Gervais from Cefalu, a Bishopric in Palermo, who conducted the mass. Bohemond and his wife, future Empress Consort Cundo de Hauteville, finally arrived, kneeled and the ceremony begun.

Bohemond was properly bored through the mass, much like everyone else in the church, but after countless latin words, there was finally time for coronation. Bohemond gazed around, feeling a bit nervous. In first rows, he saw his advisors, his Dukes, his other vassals. It looked like de Hauteville family reunion, for most of them were somehow related to Bohemond and most of them were calling themselves de Hautevilles. Even Isaakios, Doux of Samos, has graced his relative by attending the ceremony.

Perhaps that point of coronation marked the change of relations between Normans and Pope. Tradition would demand that member of the church, preferably the Pope, would do the coronation. Thus marking the divine blessing of God and church, showing that Bohemond would gain his authority from church. Instead of that, Bohemond took the crown into his own hands and crowned himself, thus marking that he got his title and authority from God and God alone. Most of people did not care, but instead cheered happily, but the ones in power took notice that the church was openly diminished and reminded themselves the eternal struggle between Pope and Kaiser. Most of them agreed that when Pope had to fight two Emperors, his chances of success would not be that high.

482px-Kr%C3%B6nungsbild._Evangeliar_Heinrichs_des_L%C3%B6wen.JPG

Coronation of Bohemond and Cundo. Notice how it's Jesus who gives out crowns, not the Pope

All that was for the future though. Bohemond I, Emperor of Hauteville Empire, (Upstart Norman to his enemies) was crowned and Palermo and all Sicily drowned themselves in wine, food and celebration.

sicily160.jpg

Here we go, one Emperor title made

And we have an Empire!

As you can see, i named it Hauteville Empire. That and Sicily gained equal amount of votes, so i thought about it a bit and gave my vote for Hauteville Empire. Reason: we're way beyond Sicily. Africa, Mauretania, Jerusalem are quite far from Sicily, so i thought Hauteville would define that strange landmass better then one island in Mediterranean.

esmesas- ok, i can agree to that- that can be called Jagiellonian Empire and as you can see, i named Hauteville Empire on same basis :)
grumphie- first, i have some of my holdings to build to full strength, plus i think towns will soon need universities and bishoprics cathedral schools. Plus, when i get someone to power, I, as an Emperor, have the option of vassalizing even Kings! ;)
Le_Carabinier - thanks. And as grumphie explained, give a county to mayor and you'll get yourself a doge. Give a Dukedom to Mayor or Doge and you have yourself merchant republic. But be careful and don't do it too much: they give you money, but much less troops then feudal vassals and their troops recover more slowly. Careful mix between two of them is the best and for example in this game, Holy Land is only full of Dukes while African my African holdings, safe from everyone, are merchant republics.

On a side note: anyone can tell why i can't give Duke-Doges King titles? Arrrrgh!

And we have an Empire!

As you can see, i named it Hauteville Empire. That and Sicily gained equal amount of votes, so i thought about it a bit and gave my vote for Hauteville Empire. Reason: we're way beyond Sicily. Africa, Mauretania, Jerusalem are quite far from Sicily, so i thought Hauteville would define that strange landmass better then one island in Mediterranean.

esmesas- ok, i can agree to that- that can be called Jagiellonian Empire and as you can see, i named Hauteville Empire on same basis :)
grumphie- first, i have some of my holdings to build to full strength, plus i think towns will soon need universities and bishoprics cathedral schools. Plus, when i get someone to power, I, as an Emperor, have the option of vassalizing even Kings! ;)
Le_Carabinier - thanks. And as grumphie explained, give a county to mayor and you'll get yourself a doge. Give a Dukedom to Mayor or Doge and you have yourself merchant republic. But be careful and don't do it too much: they give you money, but much less troops then feudal vassals and their troops recover more slowly. Careful mix between two of them is the best and for example in this game, Holy Land is only full of Dukes while African my African holdings, safe from everyone, are merchant republics.

On a side note: anyone can tell why i can't give Duke-Doges King titles? Arrrrgh!

i believe its impossible to grant doges or archbishops king titles without modding. it isnt too bad, keep the for yourself.

EDIT: :eek: almost 200 posts and over 26000 views.

Last edited: