• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whack-a-Mongol

Gotta Get ‘em All

In March 1343, Sayer declared war on all of the Mongols. Well, with the exception of few really eastern ones to whom his Holy War agenda did not reach yet. The idea was to push on, not wait for the first wave to expire and then declare another series of wars. Even new Khagan Munglig got one- for the Duchy of Bryansk in Russia.

Forces from all the eastern Norman Kingdoms were recruited. Khazaria alone bringing over 50 000 soldiers, then Mesopotamia, Syria, Armenia, Georgia, Arabia and Jerusalem. Plus six Norman main armies (yes, Sayer had recruited another army of 15 000 Normans). In Russia, forces of Poland, Bulgaria and small republics/duchies of Russia were recruited. Forces dwarfing the horde of Ilkhanate rose up from all over the world and started their advance towards Mongol territories, totalling over 350 000 soldiers.

First one to fall was two remaining provinces of Sarkel. Lightly defended, they offered no opposition to combined might of Khazaria and Sayer. In the Middle East, the situation was more tense. By June, Norman armies had taken in positions, but the enemy was well fortified, the provinces were full of Mongols hiding behind the walls and overall, the situation was not good. Still, Mongols sieged and assaulted on.

sicily653.jpg

Middle East in the middle of summer

In June, Khagan Munglig himself gave up, ceding Bryansk. Sayer ordered his three Russian armies to south. There was still one province that was under direct Mongol control in Russia, rest were either Norman or under command of rebels. Next, in July, last province of Duchy of Vitebsk became Norman. About the same time, the county of Pereyaslavl, last holding of Khagan, became independent. Guess the local ruler just declared himself free and as Khagan had no means to stop it, he just agreed.

Also in July, Armenian forces tried to assault city of Resaina, in the province of Bira, northern part of Mesopotamia. They lost over 8000 soldiers in the siege, managed to kill off about a thousand defenders, but the city remained Mongol. Normans were forced to retreat.

In August, one of the most powerful (former) vassals of Ilkhanate, Duke of Esfahan, attacked Sayers army sieging Fars. The numbers were even, but this was Sayer’s army. Fully trained men against recruited peasants and part-time warriors. Normans defeated that one with barely a scratch.

sicily652.jpg

One of the few big battles in the war

Other news in August- Mosul gave up. First three provinces of the Middle East were now safely under Norman ruler. With that, for some strange reason, Sayer decided that conquest of Mesopotamia was complete, though he still needed some more Duchies for that. Finally, in August, Turov in Russia became Norman holding.

sicily651.jpg

I think Sayer is suffering from premature celebration here

Until November, it was quiet. Minor skirmishes, some assaults, small battles. Then, Volhynia gave up, meaning that all the rebels in Russia were defeated and the war in that region was over. What Ilkhanate had gained back in 1334 was totally lost in 1343, just 9 years later. Also, Kermanshah, a Duchy in the border of Mesopotamia, gave up and Bira, a single province, also changed ownership. Normans were winning.

In December, one of Sayer’s army sieging Fars became under attack from forces of Esfahan and Birjand, the biggest vassals of Ilkhanate. Totalling over 20 000 units, they assaulted Normans. The war had also meant that Norman troops were too spread out- no other army in the next province to help them out. Another Norman army raced towards that province, but alas! they were too late. In Battle of Bandar-e Ma’shoor, Normans were defeated for the first time in quite a while. They lost 7000 soldiers and fled. One of Sayer’s armies was in all-time low.

sicily650.jpg

This is bad...

In January 1344, Dzu Zabi, last province of Oman, gave up. With that, all of Arabian Peninsula was Norman.

End of Arals

Bala Balaid had begun his revolt against the decadent Arals in the end of 1340. Now, four years and five Khagans later, taking advantage of the total disorder of the Ilkhanate, he finally succeeded. Mongols now had a new Khagan. Much better in warfare and in state affairs then Munglig ever was. Thus, they also lost appetite for civil wars.

sicily648.jpg

New Khagan, new dynasty

Sayer still managed to get Khiva (or rather, all but the main holdings of it), County of Azerbaijan and finally, Duchy of Tabriz. Additionally, Normans gained revenge for Bandar-e Ma’shoor when they kicked the Mongols there in March 1344.

sicily649.jpg

...this is better

In April 1345, it was all over. Vassals of Ilkhanate accepted the new Khagan and thus, ended the Norman invasion. The whack-a-mongol had lasted a bit over a year. When it was over, Ilkhanate had lost all their Russian holdings and several provinces in Middle East. During that year, Sayer had gained total 20 provinces, lost a battle and failed a siege. Mongol Horde was nothing but a shadow of itself. And Khagan Bala should soon expect traditional Norman coronation gift...

Last province standing was actually Fars, still independent and gave up his lands in the end of April.

sicily647.jpg

Poor Mongols, lost in sea of purple

And here we go. One small war for Normans, one big step towards world conquest for Sayer. And there is really nothing to write about these wars- they are increasingly coming whack-a-mongols then true wars. Anyways, you don't have to suffer for much longer. This AAR is finally starting to look like it is about to finish.

DensleyBlair - Normans, murder artists! I like how Paradox makes different plots, so they don't repeat much. As for world conquest- if i can kill Khagan per year, then decade is just about right.

Ricardo Rolo - Biggest flood i've unleashed to this date! As for Hordes- well, i've seen Golden Horde in shambles in this game once. But i was too busy in Germany to take advantage of it. Though yes, compared to European nations, where i had to kill a few and then factions all over the place- more resilient. Though i think the reason is simple- because of the distances and the time it takes to collect their able men and march to war, their main armies often reach the battlefield when the war is over. And when the war is over, they still have their troops intact. Or they just really-really don't like to rebel.
About failures- since i used plots, the failures were actually a few. For 10 Khagans killed, i think i had total 4-5 failures plus some assassinations where i was discovered. It was more annoyance- clicking through all accomplishes, checking if there was bribe that had expired, seeing if there was chance to make someone to reconsider about not joining the plot and so on. But the one Khagan in prison took three tries, most went out with one and i think got two instances where the plot was discovered. Of course, the plot power ranged from 150+ to 500% as well.
Badai seems like a good story- but unfortunately, it was a typo. Balaid, not Badai. Shame actually

SirkTheMonkey - didn't manage to get all the proper land before they gave up, unfortunately. So i'm not too sure what would happen- though i suspect that when last of the Horde is conquered by me, revolting vassals would still be independent.
Ynglig Khagan got hosted by Sartaq family, but he won the war and these are just remnants of his land being taken. Soon, they will be back in the hands of their rightful (?) ruler.

SirkTheMonkey, Jarren - Heh, yea. He timed that soo right- Torgil attacked the Golden Horde in perfect time- when they were at war with me and Ilkhanate. And he started his assaults in Poland. Basically meaning that when Alchi signed the peace, he was left with lands of Poland- and these lands were mostly occupied by Torgil. It would have been impossible otherwise, but sometimes, the time and place are just right.

Finish? Nooooooo.......:( Don't cry Alexander, there is more worlds to conquer. In EU4!*nods*

It's— It's— It's beautiful.

Just clean up the exclaves and enclaves and you'll be good to go for one final push eastwards. Surely this needs to be converted to EUIV? If only for the reason of being able to witness the quickest WC ever ;)

It's a shame that their rebellion ended before you finished with all those bite-sized morsels. It's a shame that the story has to end when the world has been conquered. I can only imagine the chaos that would result if the Roman Empire title happened to be destroyed and Europe was again beset by dozens of decently-sized Kingdoms free to attack whoever they want.
I don't know if an EU4 conversion would be that interesting given that you'd be a magnitude more powerful than even Ming, unless it was a race to WC ASAP.

The Last Kingdom

Sad-Sad end of the Balaid Dynasty

In June 1344, Sayer was ready to give the new Khagan this now really traditional coronation gift. The main difference this time was that Bala Balaid managed to get himself to power and did not rely Sayer murdering his predecessor. This time, Sayer decided that Hamadan, a four-province Duchy in Persia, would be a perfect target. Also the same time, he declared war on Pereyaslavl, the last Ilkhanate holding in Russia, now happily independent.

Half of Sayer’s armies were positioned in north of the Ilkhanate, between Caspian and Aral seas and from there they marched south. Other half was marching towards the targets. Khagan also had two provinces deep in Norman territories- border provinces of Syria and Mesopotamia were still Norman. Perfect spot- Sayer had four kings whose holdings bordered these provinces- Syria, Armenia, Georgia and Mesopotamia. Guess what Mongols there did not have any chance at all?

Basically, by October, Bala gave up, though he had not lost any holdings in Hamadan yet. In the north, Normans had advanced from Khazaria and in the west, the two provinces were overrun by Normans- so Khagan new he had lost. In the same time, Pereyaslavl gave up. Russia, conquered so recently, was now Norman.

Bala was a popular Khagan though and Sayer could not find any more accomplishes, so in February 1345, he sent hired knives to do the job. Bala died and his firstborn Tumen became the new Khagan. This time, the target was Esfahan. Again, Normans from North and in the West marched, quickly assaulted the already ravaged holdings and already in May 1345, Tumen gave up.

sicily658.jpg

Typical war- Khagan giving up even before Normans reach the target

Tumen died tragically in October 1345 and his brother Jurchedei took over. This time, the target was Hormuz and war took place from October 1345-January 1346. In March, Jurchedei had a tragic accident with assassins and died. Thus ended the really short-lived Balaid dynasty.

The Last Kingdom

Khadagh of the Batbyar was the first of Batbyars, wealthy landowners from the Bukhara region. Sayer celebrated it with the biggest coronation gift yet- war to take Birjand that is most likely the biggest Duchy in the game- consisting of total 8 provinces. Once again, the war was over before it started. This time, Sayer got especially lucky. In one siege, he managed to capture Prince Godan, precious heir of the Khagan. Fearing for the life of his son, Khadagh gave ended the war in April 1346. In just four month, Normans managed to take entire Duchy- and that happened even before Sayer’s troops reached the province.

sicily656.jpg

With the conquest of Birjand, Sayer had now enough land to create the Kingdom of Persia. It was the Last Kingdom- Sayer had every other one under his rule already (well, or he could create them every minute if he wanted to).

Also in Ilkhanate- another rebel appeared. High Chief Bedugun decided he did not like the current Khagan and rebelled. He was a holder of Duchy of Khorasan and a province of Tabaristan in the duchy of the same name.

sicily655.jpg

Norman conquests, one nice rebel and the last King

End of Golden Horde

After dealing with the rebellion in Ilkhanate, Sayer turned one of his eye northward, where remnants of the Golden Horde still lived. Their territory once reaching from Khazaria and Russia to Poland, they now controlled three provinces. One in Khazaria, the County of Perm, one in Poland, the county of Kujavy and one in Lithuania, the province of Podlasie. Sayer decided it was time to end if and ordered death of Khagan Torgil. Torgil died in November 1344 and lost Kujavy in January 1345.

Torgil's son, Ulv, took over. He was only 7 years old... and it was clear he would not rule for long. Indeed, in April 1345, an accident happened to the poor Ulv. He fell off the castle parapets and hopefully died quickly. Just before he died, Henri, King of Khazaria, managed to declare war on him, claiming Perm, Horde’s only holding in east. His uncle, new Khagan Torgil got his declaration of war in June 1345 and by September, Podlasie was Norman.

sicily659.jpg

Like father, like son

By March 1346, it was over. King Henry of Khazaria had taken Perm, last of the holdings in the Golden Horde. A nation that made the Europe tremble, that sacked Moscow, Novgorod and Warsaw (amongst the others) had now ceased to exist. All of their lands were Norman purple.

sicily657.jpg

Now, there is Russia. Properly purple.

Lands of the Ilkhanate are getting smaller and smaller. Now, it is a race against time- does Sayer die first or does he take over the world?

Nikolai- Finish, sooon! :p

DensleyBlair - Ahhh, when you zoom out and see all the purple- that is beautiful! As for enclaves- i decided to leave them. Mostly because now that i hit Mongols every time, it is really useful to keep around some holdings that offer no resistance when assaulting. Makes the war much more easier.

SirkTheMonkey - Well, ending rebellions don't matter that much- look at the pace i'm conquering anyways. Heh, but destroying the Roman Empire would basically restore the situation what was before the Normans came! :p One difference though- all are Hautevilles and meaning that one small conflict will usually light up the entire Europe.

And everyone- Eu4 conversion is really-really bad idea. You know, the best time i had with this AAR was when i was still playing as Asclettin. Kicking the Caliphate, kicking the Holy Roman Empire. Fighting against the big fish while being medium power in the pond. By now, the challenge had walked out and retired a long time ago. Actually, last challenge was during Adelise's time, when she picked a fight with Golden Horde and kicked their horde. Now, wars are whack-a-mongols. When i bring that to EU4, it means i control Europe, Mediterranean area, all the land to Urals and Middle East, all the way down to Ethiopia. Heck, i control Red Sea, Persial Gulf, Arabian peninsula. There would be no challenge left, there would be no discovery of routes to India left. I'd have few hundered thousand troops at start and no financial problems... Basically, i'd say, it would be way too easy. Pointless. And the same question to you too- was this AAR more interesting during Asclettin's time or now?

Last edited:
That wonderful picture of Russia is marred only by the horrible CK2 font kerning.
An EU4 conversion could work but only if the Norman Empire was a big bad AI megaboss. Imagine being an Indian state and seeing that massive blobhemoth slowly eating its way to your borders, or watching it crumble and collapse under its own weight.

Now that is beautiful. Look at all the purple. The kerning really is annoying, though ;)

As for EU4, I think it could work – but I agree that just a standard run through would be dull. Perhaps a race to see how quickly you could WC (with or without colonies)? Or having an almighty revolt that shatters the realm at some point after a bad emperor? I'm sure you can think of something.

Incidentally, I've enjoyed this all the way through. I think that, as you've become more powerful, the interest has changed nit because of any fierce opponents, but because we all want to see a great AAR end in the greatest way: WC.

You Live by the Knife, You Die By the Knife

Sayer continued his destruction of the Ilkhanate mercilessly. It meant that Khagans died like flies- as soon as one came to power, Sayer had him assassinated. Not even bothering with plots anymore. Instead, knives in the dark were quicker and more efficient.

In June 1346, he declared war on now rebellious Khorasan and attacked new Khagan for the Duchy of Fars. In July, the new Khagan gave up already, making it the fastest war Sayer had won. In September, Sayer declared war on new Khagan (old one assassinated, no need to mention separately), demanding last County of Azerbaijan. Also, Chief of Zermanya, totally independent ruler in the middle of Norman Persia god declaration of war.

Meanwhile, rebellion has grown, with several Chiefs joining Khorasan and basically splitting Khanate into two. Azerbaijan was Norman by December 1346 and Khorasan succumbed in January 1347. In June 1347, Sayer declared again war on new Khagan, demanding Duchy of Merv. Mind you, the main province of Merv had already broken off to rebellion and he received declaration of war as well. In September, Khagan’s Merv was Norman and in November, Sayer declared war on yet another new Khagan, claiming Tabaristan. Also, Merv gave up in November.

By the end of December 1347, Tabaristan was Norman. By now, the rebellion and Normans had resulted in a situation where poor Khagan had no more Duchies with more then 1 province left, so Sayer was forced to take these. First, Bukhara fell, then Samarkand, then Syria. Then, as another Khagan died, something strange happened. New Khagan, Husun Batbayar took the throne. He was imprisoned by Emperor Torgil of the Golden Horde and he was Catholic of all things. Husun also managed to end rebellion in one county of Samarkand and of course, lose it quickly. Husun came to power November 1348 in and died of severe stabbing in January 1349.

sicily663.jpg

Now, i've seen everything...

His brother Munglig, a proper Muslim, took the throne and lost Jazira, the last western province of the Ilkhanate. That also meant that Ilkhanate was down to one province and one province alone. Rest were rebellious ones. In April 1349, Sayer declared yet another two wars. One against last holding of Khagan, in Khiva. Second, to a rebel Chief, also ruling Khiva. By May 1349, it was over. Ilkhanate had lost their final province... Only rebels were left of the once powerful Ilkhanate.

Though it was not the end of the Khanate. Khagan Nagya just took one province from his rebellious vassal, Khorasan, and continued the fight. Sayer took no time in killing the Khagan and declaring war for the province... but then something totally unexpected happened in June 1349.

sicily660.jpg

To this date, people seem to disagree who the culprit was. Most tend to think that it was Khagan Nogai, the new Khagan, who had Sayer killed for revenge of the all the Khagans he had killed. No wonder, for the number of Khagans killed by Sayer reach well over 30. Some point to the disgruntled vassals. Some say Joscelin, his heir, wanted to rule. And as usual, some people blame Templars/Abstergo, freemasons, lizard people or aliens. Anyways, Joscelin took over without much of a hitch. Quite diplomatic, really prestigious and with advisors to help, the vassals of the Roman Empire accepted their new Emperor. Just a few bribes were needed.

sicily661.jpg

The new Augustus and his wife. Looks like Sayer was better conqueror then he was a tutor, for Joscelin is good, but not brilliant.

One thing is certain- Sayer died just before reaching his goal. Joscelin still has 5 provinces to conquer...

sicily662.jpg

This is what is left of the not-Norman world

The game still manages to surprise me... And imagine, someone got through the security of Roman Empire and had funds to attempt to murder the Emperor. Must be Khagan...
And Sayer was so close to his goal that it hurts... Then again, he did murder something 30+ Khagans, so it is all divine retribution!

SirkTheMonkey- Looks like Paradox did not count on Empires that big :p As for EUIV- that might actually be a good idea. But i want to play Portugal and write about that! Hmmm, perhaps i'll to that, keep the savegame of Normans and write this nice little story.

DensleyBlair- here is a bit more beautiful. :) Just few more stains in the purple carpet that covers the whole world. :) But still, i've lost all the challenge. Excpect counting how fast can i plough through the Khagans. And there will be no-one left in EU4 too.

Wow, a taste of your own medicine. Falling so close to the finish line. With that many foes left I expect Joscelin will have everything wrapped up next update.

Well, I would laugh so hard if Sayer's death caused shattering of the Norman realm...

Anyway, looking forward to the purple world ;).

Oh well, if this goes as expected, there will be no Norma... er , Roman vs Timurids :( But anyway, Sayer getting assasinated is somewhat kind of poetic justice, since he had way too much blood in his hands. The only thing good is that the assasin waited for Joscelin to hit 16 for the kill... regencies are so dreadful :/

I assume this will end in a update or so. It has been quite a ride, where we only have not seen a Zoroastrian Baliseus :D Atleast it was fun :p

I guess you are lucky that Joscelin managed to sneak into majority before his father's death. I can't imagine a regency would've been conducive to world conquest. I'm very much looking forward to seeing a large purple carpet. Remember to give us a shot of the map.

On the other hand, it will be sad to see this AAR end. It has been one heck of a ride ;)

that was some ill luck sayer had. especially since you have a world full of spymasters to choose from.

just wondering, are hautville's being all stabby to eachother? with kinslayers all over the place?

nice job on the basicly WC. ttoo bad you couldnt destroy the HRE at that rate. i also see youre using levies again, why that? castles too strong for retinue armies only?

The Norman juggernaut rolls on. Sayer died just before the end, struck down by an assassin. His life achievement brought the Normans to the brink of world conquest, failed in a siege, lost a battle and died at an assassin's hand.

Asclettin remains my favourite Norman ruler. His wars shaped the Normans for their empire and world domination.

Joscelin just has the odds and sods to overrun,

The Life and Death of Augustus Sayer

Sayer was just a boy when he took over Norman Roman Empire. He was a grandson of Adelise, one of the greatest monarchs of Hautevilles- and personally tutored by her as well. In her time, Adelise had conquered far and wide. Byzantine Empire was now Norman, so were British Isles, most of France and from east, Bohemia and Hungary. Mediterranean was now totally Norman pond. Still, more then half of the world was left unconquered. Holy Roman Empire was pushed back to Germany, but they were still strong. Denmark was the powerhouse in the Baltic Sea. And of course, two Mongol states were strong in the East.

Wars in Europe

Wars of Sayer can be roughly divided into two. In his early rule, he fought mainly in Europe. He unleashed total Norman power against the Other Roman Empire. So powerful was Norman onslaught that once powerful Empire fell into disarray and civil wars while Normans took one chunk after another. From March 1308-March 1317, Normans launched the biggest invasion yet. In series of small quick wars against the rebellious vassals of Holy Roman Empire, Sayer basically pushed the Germans out of Germany. Normans now had holdings in Scaninavia. Finally, in 1321, Sayer usurped the title of the Holy Roman Empire from Dietpold von Nordheim, last of the Kaisers. He destroyed the title a few days later, thus ending the centuries old feud between Holy Roman Empire and Normans- in total Norman victory.

sicily564.jpg

End of the Holy Roman Empire

Few years later, in 1325, Sayer finished with his second opponent in the North- Kingdom of Denmark. Norway fell soon after and with that, the only ones who claimed themselves to be Kings in Europe were Hautevilles. The last of the remnants took their time, and it was as late as the beginning of 1340-ies before Sayer conquered all the small independent counties of Denmark and Norway. With that, Sayer ruled all of Europe.

Killer of Khagans

When Sayer was finished in Europe, his turned his eyes and attention to east. In 1319, he fought off the Jihad for Mesopotamia. In fact, he attacked while being attacked and gained Duchy of Tigris. From there on, he fought Mongols at every turn, in both Russian and Khazarian territories and in the Middle East. Kingdom of Mesopotamia was created in November 1330, Khazaria in 1331. With that, the most powerful Kingdoms were now under Norman control.

Around that time, Sayer also begun to now only patiently wait until Khagans died, but to speed up the process. By knife of by plots, Khagans died one by one, meaning that Sayer was constantly fighting the poor Khagans.

In December 1334, Ilkhanate gained their last military victory. They gained Russia from the Golden Horde and once again, their Empire was greatest. But Normans were already as a wedge between Khanate in Russia and Middle East and in just 10 years, Khagans lost all of Russia. And they kept on losing. By the time Sayer was killed by a blade in 1349, remnants of the once powerful Khanate, the one that made nations tremble, was down to 5 provinces- 4 of them under rebel hands. In the progress, Sayer had ordered the death of well over 30 Khagans, so to be the ruler of the Ilkhanate was.. not a good idea.

To make it short- conquests of Sayer surpassed anything that Normans had to date. He destroyed the Holy Roman Empire and took lands in the East and West until basically nothing but the Normans remained. During the reign of Sayer, Normans more then doubled their territory and became truly the one great power of Europe.

Just as a comparison:

sicily664.jpg

Roman Empire at the time of Adelise's death

ck2_map_44.jpg

Roman Empire at the time of Sayer's death

Of Culture and Religion

Catharism was truly the religion of Europe. There were some small pockets of other religions, but basically, all of Europe was already or was on their way on becoming the true followers of Catharism. As was with Norman culture. Though they were spread out all over the world, the Normans were slowly becoming the dominant culture in the Empire.

Overall, Normans were not only becoming rulers of Europe, they were also very good at convincing others that being Cathar Norman is a way to go.

ck2_map_45.jpg

ck2_map_46.jpg

Culture and religion of the Roman Empire

Well, Sayer deserved some good old-fashioned life and death as well. After all, he took half of the world... Final episode coming next time!

SirkTheMonkey - heh, yea- at least the assassins have perfect timing!

Athalcor - 22 diplomacy, 3000 prestige, wife and advisors of similar standing, born to purple and augustus? The vassals love me! No rebellions unfortunately

Ricardo Rolo - yea, i'll take them all before Timurids pop up. Unfortunately. Heh, and unfortunately i begun this AAR before the Old Gods as well, would have made a nice mess. But yes, assassins were nice enough to kill only after Joscelin grew up.

DensleyBlair - what, you really think i'd miss a chance to brag with purple map? And no worries, look for me in the EU4 AAR section!

grumphie - well, gave a a change to delay the ending a bit. As for kinslaying- there are some. But i usually discover most of the plots and send a really harshly worded letter to my stabby relatives, so actual successful plots are few.

Chief Ragusa - heh, well put together. And well, Asclettin remains my favourite as well. Last Norman ruler that actually had to fight the superior enemies, not just go on full overkill.

dodedo - Timurids are pretty good idea. Hmmm, Normans could munster about 1 000 000 troops though, but i think that without my careful guidance, they will kinda fall apart. But basically- ehhh, enough of Normans. This has been going on for 1,5 years after all.