• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Emperor Basil

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Feb 17, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Knights of Honor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
When I first played CKI I found the map interface very confusing but got used to it and I realised it was pretty good so I hope the same will happen with CKII. Given CKII is a sequel and basically an updated version of the game I expected to find the map very useful, but I'm struggling.
Most of the maps in the new game are very good such as the religion and culture map, but I tend to find that those maps I use only very occasionally. In CKI most of the time I used the relationship map where you could easily see your demesne lands and who your vassals, liege and vassals' vassals were, even if other factions couldn't be seen at a glance.
On CKII though I'm struggling to see my own lands and vassals at a glance. I was playing for about half an hour as Michael Doukas before I realised I was also count of Lesbos! There are too many different shades on the direct vassals map to decipher who owns what land and the different 'de jure' kingdom colours don't help with empires that incorporate more than one 'de jure' kingdom.
I've noticed looking around the map that some kingdoms are more distinct than others but I think that has something to do with the number of vassals in a kingdom.
Basically I want to know the best map mode to use in which I can best recognise my lands, vassals, liege and fellow vassals.
I recognise the difficulties of creating such a map mode and congratulate Paradox on another great game but wonder if they haven't tried to put too much in the direct vassals map mode. Does anyone else agree?

For vassal and demesne, use diplomatic map.