+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CKII - trait list and effects

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Rome Gold

CKII - trait list and effects

For those interested, here's a list I compiled from the demo's traits file. You can see there's some nice variety (compared to CKI's list).
    Of course, more traits could be added (via modding, something I'm tinkering with right now...), enhancing the role-play feel and possibly giving more depth to the game.
    I only played the demo so far (never tried the original Cursaders), but I do feel the traits tend to get repetitive... Specially the "seven sins and virtues" traits - which is a very good idea, but stands out too much among the characters.

What do you think?
    Attached Files

Lord Protector of Britain Lord Valentine's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Göttingen, Prince-Electorat of Hannover, Germany
    Nice work!
    Thank you very much. I was actually a bit annoyed that the official manual didn't give you the actual effects.
    Take a look at my AARs

Praise the Lord! I've been canonized!

Well done. Traits are very important for managing big empires like making all vassals heir content. Also game doesn't show very important effects like AI_Ambition and AI_honor.

It would be great, if someone makes lists haw to get trait, how to lose trait, and events that are available for character with given trait.

I like the trait system on the whole, but I think it could use expanding. I've written a pretty good amount of new traits, but I can't figure out how to display them properly on the UI, so I'm stalled for the moment.

I don't like how some traits are awesome, but their counterpart has no redeeming value. If you want a good character you'll always pick the same traits for everyone, but if the bad trait gave you +1 in some skill you would at least pick that trait when shaping a good steward for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyomif View Post
    I don't like how some traits are awesome, but their counterpart has no redeeming value. If you want a good character you'll always pick the same traits for everyone, but if the bad trait gave you +1 in some skill you would at least pick that trait when shaping a good steward for example.
    Yeah, there are many really good one, really bad one and few that can works either way.
    ambitious - Really nasty. It can be good, if it is your char, but you shouldn't teach others with this char.
    lustful, hedonist - Good for your wife.
    deceitful, cynical, paranoid, cruel, envious - Bad ones. Good for spymasters.

Can congenital traits be inherited from parents? What are the odds? 50 percents? I'm trying to get genius, strong, attractive into my dynasty gens. I'm not sure, if it possible. It's hard to test with demo.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Rome Gold

@Dishonor:
    I suspect the reason why the game doesn't announce effects like AI-honor or AI-ambition in-game is to help with the immersion - you wouldn't really notice it until you were well into the game (and, even then, I'm guessing the effects are very faint, almost subliminal), which should be a nice surprise to the player.

Oh, and I haven't figured out the congenital percentage - I know they can be inherited but not sure on the odds.

@Vernalagnia: I'm thinking on the same lines... but it is something to be carefully considered.
    A lot of work by the devs went into the event chains, the giving and taking of traits and balancing it all - so just adding more traits wouldn't mean much -- unless a trait "system" integrating the new traits would be adopted to take care of it.
    But, again, what was the problem of displaying them on the UI?

@Heyomif: Yes, I tend to agree with you - but mostly because of some events that tend to pair up a good trait against a bad one...
    ...in these cases, there's not much choice to be made, I think.
    In any case, adding more traits could mean more "reasonable"/average traits - having good and bad effects... Or at least less extreme ones. Getting a character that is slothful, craven, gluttonous and envious is not much fun, specially if this is not uncommon.
    Last edited by ash001; 13-02-2012 at 15:49.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    Thanks!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Heyomif View Post
    The balancing should be in the events choices which pick the traits, not the traits themselves.

Rome Gold

Yeah, you're right. Traits tend to be positive or negative, I've been listing a few to mod (like vain, procastinator, resentful, optimistic, disciplined, funny, and so on) and it's easy to see which ones you'd prefer for your character over the others - even without seeing any effects.

The events, in this case, can make the difference and challenge you into some tough decisions.
    Last edited by ash001; 14-02-2012 at 00:27. Reason: spelling

I think some of the bad traits are to make genuinely bad rulers, which is certainly historical. It's true for your own character it would be more interesting if the choices were more balanced. For instance, it might be interesting if Slothful helped keep you out of trouble and live longer, or if Slow helped you relate to the common man or something. But then Michael Doukas and his father wouldn't be incompetent like they are currently.

Rome Gold

Again, I don't mind the positive and negative traits, not even the most extreme ones... The thing is, right now, characters can get several of those, and if you're playing for some time, it's starts to get repetitive seeing the different combinations between craven/slothful/envious and kind/humble/patient...
    Of course, there's more traits than those, but the "seven sins and virtues" tend to be very prominent.

Still, the game offers great moddability, so it's just a question of figuring out a trait "system" that would work out well with the current traits and also allow for some expansion... I'm considering a few ideas, let's see how this goes.

Nice thanks! I was getting annoyed with the popups saying my ruler would get this trait or that trait. I'd go into the character list and try and find one with those triats so I could decide better which one I wanted.

Crusader Kings IIMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Thank you

I suspect that events tied to traits can be a balancing factor. So while Zealous > Cynical, it might make you more vulnerable to pope persuasion or make your crusade penalty even bigger.

I suspect that traits have effects beyond +1 to this stat, -2 to this other stat, which is good but making it hidden makes people feel a little underwhelmed.

So what are the ones that have no redeeming values and what redeeming values COULD they have? What benefit could laziness have? The only thing I can think of is that it could be a + modifier to your subordinates because if you're too lazy to act, you're too lazy to enforce anytyhing and they can get away with more stuff. Just a minor benefit but +X to monthly councilor opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by praguepride View Post
    So what are the ones that have no redeeming values and what redeeming values COULD they have? What benefit could laziness have? The only thing I can think of is that it could be a + modifier to your subordinates because if you're too lazy to act, you're too lazy to enforce anytyhing and they can get away with more stuff. Just a minor benefit but +X to monthly councilor opinions?
    I'm making a little tweak mod that, among other things, gives some counterbalance to the totally negative traits. For Slothful, I made it give +1 learning (laze about reading) and +1 intrigue (accustomed to getting others to take care of things for you).

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India CompanyEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of War

Very useful - thanks much!

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very good to have, thanks much.
    I follow Paradox on Twitter and have Johan's photo on my phone for Twitter messages. I also follow the Pope. When the Pontiff tweets, I see the picture and lately I wonder "yes, but is Johan speaking ex cathedra?"
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

Rome Gold

You're welcome!

I'll try to keep it updated if anything changes (or if it has changed from demo to release version)...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast