• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sirbruce

Colonel
60 Badges
Mar 3, 2001
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
What's the cosanguinity threshold for getting the "inbred" trait? Is it a set qualifier or is it randomly assigned? Or can it occur with any coupling within your own dynasty? Is the consanguinity and/or random chance moddable?

You can't marry siblings or parents in the game. I don't think it's moddable either. Everything else is possible.

Even the inbred trait is not as bad as it was in CK1.

Definitely not automatic. I married on my sons to his aunt and their kids were normal. I think I then married some of their offspring to second cousins and their offspring were fine. Are you sure inbred is even a trait? Maybe it just increases the chance of getting other bad traits such hunchbacked, dwarf, imbecile etc..

Definitely not automatic. I married on my sons to his aunt and their kids were normal. I think I then married some of their offspring to second cousins and their offspring were fine. Are you sure inbred is even a trait? Maybe it just increases the chance of getting other bad traits such hunchbacked, dwarf, imbecile etc..

Code:
inbred = {
	inbred = yes
	congenital = yes

sex_appeal_opinion = -30

fertility = -0.3
	health = -1.5
	diplomacy = -3
	intrigue = -3
	stewardship = -3
	martial = -3
	learning = -3

vassal_opinion = -20

ai_rationality = -20
}

and in the game?

Australia, not Austria

Anyway, you're not allowed to marry your parents or siblings (though I think half siblings might be okay). Frankly, a single generation of parent or sibling marriage is probably fine, anyway.

If you want inbred, you're going to have to work at it the old fashioned way: by crafting a family tree taller than it is wide.

nNyzw.png

I got the inbred trait when my niece married my son. Not all the children were inbred though. The one that got the traid died within 3 years because of other bad traits he got I'm assuming from being inbred.

Australia, not Austria

Anyway, you're not allowed to marry your parents or siblings (though I think half siblings might be okay). Frankly, a single generation of parent or sibling marriage is probably fine, anyway.

If you want inbred, you're going to have to work at it the old fashioned way: by crafting a family tree taller than it is wide.

nNyzw.png
Yep- dear Charly boy was a true testament to the genetical engineering of his ancestors- habsburg jaw as big as a threshold, tongue to large to fit in his mouth, epilepsy, went bald and blind before reaching 25th birthday. That's inbreeding for you;).

And if you're especially ambitious, you make it a circle.

lol

No one has mentioned the marry_anyone cheat, divine blood, and Zoroastrians yet. Concerning the likelihood of gaining the trait, I refer to my findings here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...an-you-get&p=15455053&viewfull=1#post15455053 -- of course, the experiment did not last very long. I really need to do it for the entire 867-1453 timespan some time, but the amount of work involved would be tremendous ... (since I have to step in occasionally to ensure the dynasty's survival in power, its size would approach that of a player-controlled dynasty -- which would be a good thousand members over the timespan.

EDIT: I take that back -- the wonderful Matchmaker utility has the option to sort by dynasty. While it only searches for living nobles, it would serve for a statistical analysis well enough.

Last edited:
I once got a kid get the inbred trait from a marriage between 4th or 5th cousins, while their other kids were fine. I assume it's some sort of random chance to occur, with the random chance increasing the closer the relationship, e.g. a marriage between kinsmen is less likely to trigger it than a marriage between aunt/uncle/niece/nephew/cousins.

I once tried to make an dynasty of imbeciles and inbreds. I discovered a woman fit for my king, as there were no suitable candidates from his own dynasty. She had the inbred (or was it imbecile?) trait. But what do you know! They had three children two sons and a daughter and they were all geniuses!

It depends on the DNA string, which is semi-random -- ten letters are randomly taken from the parents, and one is randomly generated (I believe, but I haven't looked it up). For example the DNA values "dgfhibhieeh" and "jgagiicckmi" combined to create "dgfgibccepi", taking the first, second, third, fifth, sixth and ninth letter from the father, and the rest with the exception of the 10th from the mother. The more letters two characters have in common, the more likely their child is to have negative congenital traits. At some point, you get inbred. One example of an inbred girl from my Zoroastrian game has the DNA string lsijffuxasn, its parents are mxioffumaen (father) and rspjfncmnen (mother), respectively.
From father: 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11
From mother: 2, 4, 5, 11
We can also see that father and mother have the same DNA letters in four slots, 5, 8, 10, and 11. Since the first slot (d0) is non-functional, this means that the parents of poor inbred Delaram share 40% of their genetic make-up (I believe they were half-siblings). Ergo, if you're trying to avoid any bad influences from inbreeding, I'd recommend never marrying anyone closer-related to you than your second-cousin. Or go full wincest.