• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dannyboy2016

Lt. General
142 Badges
Nov 22, 2002
  • Lead and Gold
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Legio
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
spaceracereduxopeningimage.jpg

Hey everyone,

Several months back I put my Space Race mod on hold because of work, trouble with coding, and various personal issues. However, things have changed. First, I’ve recently been laid off, and thus have more time for modding. Second, I’ve received multiple messages from several people who want this project to see the light of day, including Fernando Torres. Finally, the latest patch is out, and it has added a few commands that may make editing things a tad easier on me.

Unfortunately, there have been some setbacks. I lost a lot of the original files. Thankfully, I still have the pics (which is good as there were like 100+ of them). I also have a lot of notes that I’ve made for the project. I’m using that to get this stuff remade asap.

The rest of this post will be reserved for download links, occasional updates on the general progress of the mod, as well as lists of what help I currently need with the mod.

Download the latest alpha (.2.5): http://www.mediafire.com/?46afwknh8bb9u4l
Latest Changes:
  1. Artificial Satellite launch event working (correctly?) for all nations
  2. All nations that launched an artificial satellite with their own rocket (plus Germany and Nationalist China) now have special reaction events for their launches.
  3. 1000 supplies now marked in the AI prerequisites of Space Agency events, so hopefully Gherry will go less crazy.
  4. Israel now has an event to unlock their space tech team if they have icbms.
  5. 18 New Tech Teams Added

Stuff that would help me out a lot
  1. Does anyone know how to edit AI files, and would be willing to help with that? I want to make sure that certain AI countries will actually research these techs.
  2. Can someone help with the creation of some sort of Space Race specific Victory Screen (which wouldn’t include any alliances). My goal is to get this mod implemented in the base game and maybe convince Martin to add a code that will allow me to fire off the victory screen once you’ve made it to the moon (as a “minor” country) or to Mars as one of the big 3 Space powers (USA, GER, USSR).
  3. Is anyone willing to help with additional tech team and event pictures as needed?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Accomplishments for today (2/12/2012):

1. Added 15 secret weapon techs and Secret Weapon event to unlock them. They are now positioned differently than in my original version. (Previously they had blocked off the possibility of extra levels of SAM and Helicopter techs, which I think should remain open)
secretweaponstreespaceracereborn-1.jpg

2. Added pics for the techs and the tech components and icons.
3. Edited the technames file to have all of the components correct
4. Edited the secret weapons events tech file to add event to open the new techs
5. Editing the gfx folder to add tech pics, tech component icons, and tech team pics
spaceracereborn1.jpg

List of the New techs
  • Artificial Satellites
  • Early Spy Satellites
  • 1974 Spy Satellites
  • Satellite Navigation
  • Manned Spaceflight
  • Moon Race
  • Lunar Landing
  • Moon Base
  • Space Station
  • Surface Missions
  • Interstellar Probe
  • Space Shuttle
  • Mars Landing
  • Civilian Benefits
  • Anti Satellite Weapons

List of the new tech Components (3 user defined components left)
  • Spacecraft Design
  • Space Travel Focus
  • Spaceflight Training
  • Helicopter Design
  • Small Arms Design
  • Robotics
  • Computers
  • Social Science
  • Espionage
  • Finance
  • Nuclear Warfare Focus
  • Low Intensity Conflict Focus

GOALS FOR TOMORROW
Remake the 70+ tech teams for the mod. Is there a tech team maker utility that will allow me to give teams the user defined components (RT_USER_1 to RT_USER_16)? That will make my job a lot easier.

Last edited:
Generalissimoist is back :)

Accomplishments for today (2/13/2012):

I just wanted to give you a brief update of a few of the fixes I've done so far. I expect another update on my progress later today.

• U53 (Trucial States/UAE) and U51 (Qatar) now releasable as puppets, just because.
  • A few nations have received historical University Tech Teams. Some existing Universities have been edited to give them the Social Sciences tech component.
  • I've identified the 60 Country Tags that were to gain Unique Space Tech Teams and begun work on Implementing them.
  • I've identified the 19 People's Republic Versions of Country Tags that get unique Space Tech Teams. These will get copies of the vanilla tags' space related tech teams.
  • A handful of non space related but (imho)needed tech teams have been added. For example, John Hopkins University was added to the USA (so it can have a Tech Team with the Medicine research component).

On an unrelated note, I just found out that my great grandmother had a run in with Tito once. I had known that she had traveled the world quite a bit, and had visited places like Cuba, Mexico, and some Western European countries. My father just told me the story of how she once visited Yugoslavia sometime during the late 1950s or early 1960s. I can't remember the details, but she went to some posh banquet, hotel, or restaurant that had a large pool connected to the dining area. For some reason the pool was covered with red flowers. She sat down to eat, but then everyone stood at attention, and she felt compelled to stand up too. Well, everyone stood at attention because Tito had entered the room. Apparently, the red flowers in the pool were there for his visit. After some applause, he sat down at a table with some military men, and everyone was allowed to sit down and eat their meals.

She lived to be something like 98 years old and her long term memory remained very sharp. So I heard stories about how wonderful Cuba was in the 1940s, the various ticker-tape parades she witnessed in New York City (like when Charles Lindbergh came back from his transatlantic flight and when Jesse Owens came returned from the Berlin Olympics), etc. Yet, I never heard the Tito story.

Last edited:
Goals for the next few days

While I'm up, I figure I'll let you all in on my plan for the next few days.
  1. Create the Space specific Tech Teams edited for the Main Tags
  2. Create the Space Tech Teams for the Communist Tags
  3. If time permits: add a handful of non Space tech Teams to the mod (mostly historical universities for minors that don't have one)
  4. Post an Alpha on Wednesday that will have the techs, components, and new teams.

Please note that some of the countries that get Space Tech teams don't actually unlock the teams until after the game ends. There will be events unlocking these teams if, say, a player run Algeria researches icbms. I honestly don't know much about editing AI files, but for the purposes of the mod only GER and the countries that actually launched a satellite on their own before 1980 will have their AI files set to compete in the space race (Soviet Union, USA, France, Japan, China(CHC and CHI), United Kingdom, and India). My plan is for only the USA, German, and Soviet AIs to attempt a mission to the moon (or Mars). Player run countries may still compete and try to beat the big guys to the moon.

It'll take a tad longer to start redoing all the events/decisions related to the specific techs, so those will have to start trickling in via future updates.

Robert Goddard: The Haunted Tech Team

For the life of me I can not tell what is wrong with Mr Goddard. Darkest hour doesn't like it when I put him anywhere. His id appears to be unique. The code seems right. Other techs teams can use his user defined spots without problems. Why am I haunted by Mr. Goddard?

240050;Robert Goddard;RobertGoddard;4;1913;1945;aeronautics;rocketry;technical_efficiency;rt_user_3;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
And rocketry appears altogether as one word in the actual file, dunno why the forum broke it up like that.

Oh well, at least Nasa works.

Last edited:
Accomplishments for today- part 2 (2/13/2012):
  1. Space Specific Tech teams Added For All Countries with a Space program as of Today. Only team that remains to be remade and tested is the ghostly Robbert Goddard
  2. Completed work on adding duplicate Space tech teams for Communist Variants of those Tags
  3. Smashing my head against the wall over constant error messages regarding Robert Goddard

I’d like to add some more tech teams and some additional components to some tech teams before sending out an alpha. But I’ve basically got the Space techs and tech teams ready. And a few days earlier than expected, I might add. I’ll leave it up to you guys if you’d like an alpha later today/tomorrow or if you’d rather wait. Keep in mind I haven’t redone any events as of yet.

While it will be slightly tedious I plan on concocting a decision for each applicable country to start their space program once they get icbms, thus unlocking their tech teams. For Soviet puppets I think I’ll make that a series of Soviet decisions as to whether or not they want to help, say, communist Poland into space and unlock that tech team early.

That will be simple enough. More troublesome will be concocting a first satellite launch decision that anyone can make. I don’t want to make scores of different versions of that decision. Ideally, I’d like one decision that anyone could make, but that’s results would be delayed. This way you wouldn’t know for a month or so if your first satellite launch will be successful or not.

According to martin this could be done via the following:
You can use this new event command to delay events (list of all event commands and triggers can be found in \Modding documentation\event commands.txt):

type = event which = [event id] where = TAG/-1(current country) when = [delay](in days)
# Trigger [event id] for country TAG or for the current country [delay] days later.
# If there is no delay set or it is 0 (when = 0), then the event is instantly executed.
# Limitations:
# Queued events should use the same format as events that are called directly form another event (no date and offset, no trigger etc.)
# If the country does not exists or ceases to exist before the execution of the event, then this event might not trigger at all

You can have a decision that calls a delayed event (using the above command) that has 2 options with random chances (use "persistent = yes" and "one_action = yes" as attributes of that event).

I’m still not certain if -1 (current country) would work simultaneously for all countries that use this decision at roughly the same time. Anyone have any knowledge about that?

That will be simple enough. More troublesome will be concocting a first satellite launch decision that anyone can make. I don’t want to make scores of different versions of that decision. Ideally, I’d like one decision that anyone could make, but that’s results would be delayed. This way you wouldn’t know for a month or so if your first satellite launch will be successful or not.
Maybe you could make an initial event** setting up a flag ie: sat_launch, and a next event that should happen after whatever time it takes for a sat program to complete and launch. The result event would have as trigger the flag and use a new DH feature a command trigger with a random factor (X% chance for A X% for B). So the result of the launch would be random, may or may not suceed.

Edit: **Decision

Last edited:
I'm very happy that you are back and modding again! That mod was very promising for me and it has great potential to stand in one line with mods like Francescos Models Mod, which is going to be included in the next patch.

Okay, Robert Goddard just seems cursed. I'll just make an event/decision about him, I suppose.

At the moment it looks like it may be easier not to have a delay between trying to send up first satellite and getting the success or failure event. It can just be assumed that the time spent researching the tech and gaining enough money for the launch will be enough development time. That being said what would be a fair amount of money that players should have to spend on such things? I want it to be just enough that the big powers might have to wait a few weeks before trying to send a satellite up again, but I don't want it to be too cost restrictive for minors to be able to afford.

Any suggestions?

I'll probably take most of tomorrow off, but the goal is to have an alpha up for you guys on wednesday. It may or may not come with any events. Depends on what I can do in that regard.

goddardatlast.jpg
Accomplishments for today- part 3 (2/13/2012):
  1. Got Goddard to Work
  2. Added the following tech teams to the USA: Robert Goddard, John Hopkins University, Yale, Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, General Motors, and Central intelligence Agency
  3. Added the new Computers tech component to IBM and John von Neumann
  4. Added the following Tech Teams to the Soviet Union and Russia: Russian Academy of Sciences and Moscow State University
  5. Added the KGB as a tech team for the Soviet Union

Last edited: