+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about the royal house of Denmark.

Question about the royal house of Denmark.

I've been wondering for a while about the Yvling dynasty in the demo, which King Svend of Denmark seems to be part of. I know a bit of Danish history myself and didn't recall any dynasty of that name.
    Upon further research I've found no evidence that this dynasty ever existed, which left me bewildered I've simply found no trace of the House Yvling or any similar spellings of the name. So my question is; why is the dynasty called Yvling in the game and what historical basis does the name 'Yvling' have? Do I simply suck at researching?

Another thing is that several Danish kings of the House Knytling, more specifically the ones who also ruled Norway, are shown as 'Kings of Norway' rather than 'of Denmark'. Is this simply a coincidence/mistake or due to a quirk within the engine?

I am very curious about these things, and any clarification would be appreciated

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Interesting. I'm curious about this as well.

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Capital N View Post
    Another thing is that several Danish kings of the House Knytling, more specifically the ones who also ruled Norway, are shown as 'Kings of Norway' rather than 'of Denmark'. Is this simply a coincidence/mistake or due to a quirk within the engine?
    I've just gone and added all the historical holders to the Kingdom of England title, and when I booted it up to check out my work I noticed, unexpectedly, that Svend Tveskaeg, Knud and Hardeknud now have England as their primary title. Now Knud's view may have been pretty favourable towards his English crown, but I'm not entirely convinced he'd put it above his Danish one if pushed, and Historians certainly almost never do. Svend and Hardeknud without a doubt would've called themselves kings of Denmark first. The other Danish king of England, Harald Harefoot, of course only held the one kingdom, so there's no issue there. Anyway, it's an odd issue and I can offer no immediate explanation for it myself (the only thing I can think of is maybe there's a hidden prestige value hidden somewhere in a text file) but I just thought I'd point it out

Shouldn't the dynasty be simply "Estridsson"/"Estridsen"?

Maleficus: It is odd indeed. Being Danish myself, it's a bit distracting that the old Danish kings aren't shown with Denmark as their primary title

Quote Originally Posted by Heyomif View Post
    Shouldn't the dynasty be simply "Estridsson"/"Estridsen"?
    That's exactly what I thought.

Konungr of Scandinavia DarkieBabZ's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIImpire
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Yes.

I have been wondering the same. I guess there is something behind the madness and paradox must have a reason for this (maybe its the correct name) but my knowledge tells me it should be Estridsen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Danish_monarchs

Wiki also agrees.

As for the fault in primary titles etc. I guess its a either flaw in the game or well maybe they intended it otherwise for some reason.

Also notice that House Gorm is Knytling (never really heard about the knytling thing before I tried CK1)
    to unite scandinavian as one that is my true goal in life...
    Remember the Kalmar Union
    //Darkie

He who does not understand a joke, he does not understand Danish.
    //Georg Brandes

Quote Originally Posted by Capital N View Post
    I've been wondering for a while about the Yvling dynasty in the demo, which King Svend of Denmark seems to be part of. I know a bit of Danish history myself and didn't recall any dynasty of that name.
    Upon further research I've found no evidence that this dynasty ever existed, which left me bewildered I've simply found no trace of the House Yvling or any similar spellings of the name. So my question is; why is the dynasty called Yvling in the game and what historical basis does the name 'Yvling' have?
    The Ylving family name should probably be understood as "the sons of Ulf", a pointer to Ulf Jarl, the father of King Sweyn who rules Denmark at the start of the game.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by DarkieBabZ View Post
    As for the fault in primary titles etc. I guess its a either flaw in the game or well maybe they intended it otherwise for some reason.
    Why do you say it's a flaw?

There's apparently no section for primary title, and there's no way for the game to display two at a time, so when somebody has more then one it has to pick one. It's got to do that algorithmically, from info in the game files.

And the algorithm's got to work for two-Kingdom countries like England-Wales, France-Navarra, and Hungary-Croatia. Which probably means making the bigger de jure kingdom the main title, which means any King of Denmark, etc. is probably gonna be known by the etc.

Nick

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Hundhedning View Post
    The Ylving family name should probably be understood as "the sons of Ulf", a pointer to Ulf Jarl, the father of King Sweyn who rules Denmark at the start of the game.
    I find that the name Ylving is much too similar (actually identical) to Ylfing, the latter being an old prestigious geatish dynasty/clan. I would have prefered Knýtling.
    Last edited by Boblof; 12-02-2012 at 18:08.
    Richard Dawkins - "We should be open minded, but no so open minded that our brain falls out."

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k club

If you go to the Dynasties.txt the /common/ foulder you will find this under Ylving:
    Code:
    487 = {
    	name="Ylving" # af Estrid-ætten
    	culture = danish
    	coat_of_arms = {
    		template = 0
    		layer = {
    			texture = 3
    			texture_internal = 48
    			emblem = 0
    			color = 0
    			color = 0
    			color = 0
    		}
    	}
    }
    So it look like the devs have some knowledge about the Royal family of Denmark & Sweden.

Augustus of the North DreadLindwyrm's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

The devs tried to avoid Patronymic house names, unless there were no alternatives.
    *This space deliberately left blank*

Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Hundhedning View Post
    I ment when it choose the English title over the Danish one, when the ruler is from a Danish house (it struck me as odd) but yes, its most likely due to gameplay things.. the flaw was actually more intended on the name of the house, but it seems both boblof and enokmik can give us a reason why
    //Darkie

//Georg Brandes

Quote Originally Posted by Enokmik View Post
    If you go to the Dynasties.txt the /common/ foulder you will find this under Ylving:
    Code:
    487 = {
    	name="Ylving" # af Estrid-ætten
    	culture = danish
    	coat_of_arms = {
    		template = 0
    		layer = {
    			texture = 3
    			texture_internal = 48
    			emblem = 0
    			color = 0
    			color = 0
    			color = 0
    		}
    	}
    }
    So it look like the devs have some knowledge about the Royal family of Denmark & Sweden.
    Well surely there is are a reason, I would still like to know what reason.. if you look at the swedish houses ingame they all fit the "in my opinion" known houses and even the exact same one listed on wiki, so why is it different with the Danish ones?
    //Darkie

//Georg Brandes

I thought it was the English name for the first royal house of Sweden (they might have had links links with the Danes too), Ynlinga ätten. The last word translates to house of.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    I've just gone and added all the historical holders to the Kingdom of England title, and when I booted it up to check out my work I noticed, unexpectedly, that Svend Tveskaeg, Knud and Hardeknud now have England as their primary title. Now Knud's view may have been pretty favourable towards his English crown, but I'm not entirely convinced he'd put it above his Danish one if pushed, and Historians certainly almost never do. Svend and Hardeknud without a doubt would've called themselves kings of Denmark first. The other Danish king of England, Harald Harefoot, of course only held the one kingdom, so there's no issue there. Anyway, it's an odd issue and I can offer no immediate explanation for it myself (the only thing I can think of is maybe there's a hidden prestige value hidden somewhere in a text file) but I just thought I'd point it out
    It's very simple really. England has more de jure counties than Denmark. Similarly, a king of both England and France, that keeps England as his main title while he's still alive, will have France as his main title. It's not that big a deal. Maybe in a future patch, they'll have the game remember each person's primary title, but it's probably not worth the trouble doing that for every single dead guy, there's thousands of them and I'd rather PI worked on actual content/bug fixes than cosmetic issues. But maybe that's just me.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I hope this thread is not too old to bring up this subject. Ylving really makes no sense at all. It is an unrelated geatish house of a different era.

Ylving is obviously used to refer to the house of Estridsen, but if we are to avoid these name and subhouses, then it belongs to the house of Gorm, aka the Jelling dynasty (the house of Gorm was later renamed to knytlinga because Canutte was the most famous king of that house, but CK2 doesn't do house renames).

Since Estrid was the sister of Canutte, she should be of the same dynasty as him, and since Svend tooks his name from his mother, we chould interpret that in CK2 terms as a matrilinear marriage.

So either rename Ylving to Estridsen, or merge knytlinga and Ylving to the house of Gorm or dynasty of Jelling. House of Gorm is the most commonly used term, but I personally think Jelling sounds more CK2'ish.

Any thoughts? Ylving is obviously a mistake, but should we treat this issue as a bug, or something to be fixed in mods only?

Crusader Kings IIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

According to the information in Wikipedia about Danish regents, the first listed dynasty is the Knytling dynasty, after that the Ylving dynasty succeeded.

It appears that the dynasties get their name after the first king's father (after altering the vowel and adding "ing"):

First king of the "Knytlings": Gorm the Old - son to Knut I --> Knytling (from Knut)
    First king of the "Ylvings": Sven Estridsen - son to Ulf Torgilsson --> Ylving (from Ulf)

So maybe it's correct as it is in the game. If the information in Wiki is correct, that is.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

In the files you can see next to the Ylving it says af Estridsen. Theres obviously a reason they changed it.
    Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

You should probably be reading Gunnerkrigg Court.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Iacid View Post
    According to the information in Wikipedia about Danish regents, the first listed dynasty is the Knytling dynasty, after that the Ylving dynasty succeeded.

It appears that the dynasties get their name after the first king's father (after altering the vowel and adding "ing"):

First king of the "Knytlings": Gorm the Old - son to Knut I --> Knytling (from Knut)
    First king of the "Ylvings": Sven Estridsen - son to Ulf Torgilsson --> Ylving (from Ulf)

So maybe it's correct as it is in the game. If the information in Wiki is correct, that is.
    Which wikipedia is that? The one I use, like the houses as "House of Gorm" and "House of Estridsen". A google search on "Ylving" brings up only CK2 information, and one wikipedia article on a geatish noble.

In fact, I found this thread because it is the number one hit on Google for Ylving. The most linked information of Ylving is in other words, that it is a mistake in CK2.

Also please read the article on Knytling again. It is named at Knud den store (Canute), using it for Gorm the Old is an anachronism.

Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Carewolf2 View Post
    Which wikipedia is that? The one I use, like the houses as "House of Gorm" and "House of Estridsen".
    I'm guessing it's the Swedish Wikipedia. See here:
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%...marks_regenter

Sven Estridsson is listed as the first king from the Ylvingaätten, or House of Ylving. Presumably that's what the Danish royal house is known as in Sweden. The name comes from his father Ulf. In other words it's not a "mistake", it's because Paradox are Swedish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast