• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Undecided

First Lieutenant
78 Badges
Apr 27, 2008
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings III
Has anyone else considered using this particular type of gender laws to start up an female-driven dynasty? Is it, strategically speaking, useful at all? I ask because it SEEMS pretty lucrative -- once enacted you can give fiefs to both genders (castles, cities, even bishropics(!)), meaning you effectively double the number of available candidates to choose from.

On the other hand, you're restricted to (starting as) Basque, at least until conquering other realms. And you ruler never seems to inherit anything since every other realm uses male inheritance. Oh, and the court is still for the most part male-only, so you don't increase candidates in terms of court positions.

I'm just wondering if the trade-off is worth it, or if I'm missing any other hidden perks/penalties that comes with this type of gender law.

I have found it to be near impossible to arrange matriarchal marriages, which is what you'd need to do if you have a daughter for your firstborn. It's a real pain in the rear. I would never want to go full cognatic, personally.

EDIT: Courtiers don't care if its matriarchal, but the primary advantage of marriages are alliances, and powerful nations won't be happy with matriarchal marriages, thereby throwing those out the window. I don't see how it would be worth the trouble.

Absolute cognatic isn't matriarchy anyway. The oldest child inherits, regardless of gender. Period. You'd end up with a bunch of male rulers as well as female rulers.

It would be nice to be able to give land to women, however. I hate giving my daughter's idiot husband land just because she can't have it herself. :(

Not under absolute cognatic. I looked at the code. *male* rulers get a 10 point hit from those under Absolute Cognatic. Female rulers get a 10 point hit on those under Agnatic. Anyone on Agnatic-Cognatic doesn't care either way.

From Succession_Laws.txt
Code:
gender_laws = {
	cognatic_succession = {
	}
	agnatic_succession = {
		female_dynasty_opinion = -10 <---- Female = -10

}
	true_cognatic_succession = {
		male_dynasty_opinion = -10 <---- Male = -10

allow = {                                      <------ Edit out this and the next two lines to remove the Basque culture requirement
			holder_scope = { culture = basque }    <------ Edit out
		}                                              <------ Edit out

}
}

Last edited:
It's probably the only place historically where it was practiced.

It's probably the only place historically where it was practiced.

Yes and no, sir,Historically in Castille (later, Spain) wasn´t the Salic law (only men can be king)...examples of Castille and Spain´s queens: Isabel La Católica, Juana de Castilla, etc

Allow me to correct my previous statement.

It's probably the only place it was practiced within the time period of the game (1066-14xx).

I am aware of female rulers of Spain (Castille, Catalonia, etc). I am thinking that this is why the succession law is localized to that spot. Though, by the 1400s, I would think it was more wide spread since Castille isn't Basque.

Also, I'm not a 'sir' ;)

Yes and no, sir,Historically in Castille (later, Spain) wasn´t the Salic law (only men can be king)...examples of Castille and Spain´s queens: Isabel La Católica, Juana de Castilla, etc

No that was probably agnatic-cognatic. Males are preferred, but females are allowed if no males are available. In absolute cognatic, the oldest child inherits regardless of sex. Absolute cognatic primogeniture was not issued in the Kingdom of Spain before 2006.

Last edited:
Relations hit from vassals if you have a female inherit? That way you could say play as your brother instead of your daughter.
-10 isn't that big a deal. Losing the game because you only had daughters... that's a big deal.

Is the realy any reason why you should pick Absolute agnatic over Agnatic-Cognatic?

Well, if you have a bad set of circumstances where your males all die off, leaving your daughters in power. If you didn't marry them off matrilieanly, then you end up with their children inheriting your stuff and you lose.

Your brothers won't take over in agnatic-cognatic if you daughters are alive, even if your daughters are married in a way that means their kids are not your dynasty.

Not under absolute cognatic. I looked at the code. *male* rulers get a 10 point hit from those under Absolute Cognatic. Female rulers get a 10 point hit on those under Agnatic. Anyone on Agnatic-Cognatic doesn't care either way.
That's not quite the whole picture.

Male vassals get a -10 relations hit from the fact that the law is Absolute Cognatic.
If their current ruler is, in fact, female, they get an additional -10 on top of that.
And if the heir is female as well, that's another -10.

Adds up fast.

Courtiers don't care if its matriarchal, but the primary advantage of marriages are alliances, and powerful nations won't be happy with matriarchal marriages, thereby throwing those out the window. I don't see how it would be worth the trouble.

You can still get an alliance through a matrilineal marriage. If a ruler has several brothers, a younger brother who is far down the line of succession may be willing to accept a matrilineal marriage, and you will get an alliance with his brother's realm.