• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hello! I thought I'd fill you guys in on whats happening with A House Divided now after after release. It seems like people are pretty happy with it, which also makes me very happy, but that is no reason to stop updating and adding things. We are currently hard at work on the 2.2 patch, which I hope we can release as a public beta patch during next week and I'm going to tell you about a few of the features and changes in it.

Naval Rally Points
This was one of those things we didn’t really know if people would want or not, and it turned out they did. So we added it
Rvp79.png

You can set any port where you can dock ships as a rally point. otherwise it works the same way as regular rally points

Auto-split units for transport
A personal pet-peeve of mine we finally got done. The load-onto-transport button for armies will change if you have too many troops to split off a perfect sized chunk so you don’t have to do so manually. I can't imagine how I did naval invasions before.
vllu4.png

Attachable units
You can now attach a unit to another friendly unit owned by AI, or another player in MP. It will then follow them around and help. Great if you are in a big war and want to lend UK some of your fleet.

Visible country borders
There have been a few mods who do this also, but they have had problems on some graphics cards. Its now a supported feature and looks really nice, particularly when in mapmodes like nationality where you want to be able to see national borders still.

Promotion/demotion/migration rework
We have had great help from the betas in redoing pop promotion/demotion logic and it is now much more responsive to sliders and conditions (read: less problems with clergy). Promotion and demotion are now using a literacy/needs-based system. Promotion and demotion choices rewritten, to reduce slider POP bloat and produce Artisans and Clerks as slider populations grow. Slider operation more responsive and intuitive, determined by level of spending and existing population. Migration has also been reduced and changed to emphasize internal over colonial and external migration. Targeting logic has also been expanded so that POPs tend to urbanize much better.

Tech AI Improvements
AI is now much better at selecting what technologies to research. We also rebalanced a couple of techs for a smoother progression in industry and less "prestige bubbles".

New modding format
This is a new format we have been working with in parallel with CK2. It should now work much much better than the old system and you should no longer feel the need to copy over the game and can keep settings and map caches separate without having to copy the game to multiple folders for each mod. It will require modders to change their main description file, but its pretty easy to do. An added advantage is that the system now supports loading multiple mods at the same time (selectable from launcher).

Here is the format description (in a spoiler tag, so people who aren't interested in the details can skip it):
Mods are put in the "mod" folder where you installed your game. Each mod needs a description file named "<modname>.mod" and some files.

Format example for mod/coolmod.mod:
Code:
name = "My Cool Test Mod" # name of your mod, shown in launcher
path = "mod/coolmod" # location of your mod files 
archive = "mod/coolmod.zip" # you can also put your mod directly in a zip file for easier distribution (you need this or path specfied)
replace_path = "technologies"  # optional. if you want to repalce a path instead of just extend the files already in the base game (liek if you want to have completely new technologies)
user_dir = "coolmod" # optional. creates a sub directory where settings/map cache/savegames etc can be safely written for your mod and not get mixed up 
dependencies = { "someothermod" } # if you depend on another mod or dlc you can specify that here and it will get loaded first if the order is important

And a whole bunch more stuff... a few highlights:
  • The 2.2 patch will include full translation to German
  • Assimilation should no longer happen so much in own cores
  • There is a lot more support for social reforms from your population late game. particularly craftsmen.
  • Lots of improvements to accuracy of 1861 scenario (don’t ask for details please, its a long list and will be in changelog when we are done)
  • Fixed a pile of bugs, issues and balancing

Attachable units? That's a pretty neat idea actually. Always found this "every ally doing his own thing" business stupid, allied armies were able to cooperate historically... though not always perfectly.

Could you make those country borders a little thicker, please?

Looks good! I must say to go from debating whether or not it was even worthwhile to do a sequel to Victoria to this very thorough support for its sequel's expansion is quite refreshing and welcome! :D

Those improvements sound fantastic. The tweaks to clergy promotion, colonial migration, and less assimilation in a county's own cores will make AHD near-perfect.

I suppose it's too early to ask for a possible release date?

It really is like the add-on got its own little add-on...

Assimilation should no longer happen so much in own cores

Don't overlook this "little" change. Imagine what it means for Austrians. :)

Did you fix the maximum 256 country tag limit? It's one of the things that delays my purchase of AHD.

We cry out for stuff like slavering dogs, and Team Astounding throws us some crumbs from their table. We fall upon those crumbs like feral beasts, snapping and slavering in a gruesome dance of death. The death of not having a DD on 2.2, that is.

Um, I don't see much country borders in that screenshot. Province borders rather.

Looks very nice indeed!

One small additional request: splitting for transport is great, but could the "weight" of land armies be added to the view somewhere (tooltip when hovering over the "load to transport" button, maybe?)? It would be really nice to know whether your army will fit in the waiting fleet before reaching the port...

"Migration has also been reduced and changed to emphasize internal over colonial and external migration. Targeting logic has also been expanded so that POPs tend to urbanize much better."

Absolutely great news!!