• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind you, the latest save is when the game was finished.

No prob, I was wondering if anyone built those crap AA brigades in the game, and just as I predicted, no one did. And there are still people who think the bloody things don´t deserve a buff.

No prob, I was wondering if anyone built those crap AA brigades in the game, and just as I predicted, no one did. And there are still people who think the bloody things don´t deserve a buff.

Yeah they're crap all right. I think that they need to fire upon all kinds of bombings, not just ground attack/interdiction. That and/or some other kind of buff.

Excellent thread, I have been glued to the screen since I opened it. :D

I really love the chaos and the pressure that is involved. Its a pity that single player doesnt quite capture that kind of magic.

I also agree on not being too harsh on the SU player, the SU has a ton of management to deal with even when its not at war.

Chapter #13: The Bear Sputters Out

Chapter #13: March 1940

In Russia, we continue to encircle and destroy. The resistance that is being put up against us is light, perhaps 2 divisions at the most in any given territory. The allies of Der Fuhrer have challenged the Wehrmacht, and it has become a race to see who can claim the big prize... Moscow.

In Finland, the British are closing in on Helsinki. The Fins will not last the week it appears. Fortunately, I can now afford to turn more of my divisions westward from Russia.

Mar 4 40

Mar440RussiaandFinland.jpg

I was honestly shocked at how long the Fins held out against the allies. Sadly, they did finally fall. Good thing Evanisimo had switched from playing them to helping out the Axis as a Co-op months before.

Mar 9 40

Mar940FallofFinland.jpg

With my troops reorganized, and the Russian pockets eliminated, the German Army is able to make a dash for Moscow. Where are my allies? Oh, there in my rearview mirror. :p

Mar 13 40

Mar1340RussiaMoscow.jpg

Somehow, Italy and Japan have caught up with me. However, they do not have the strength in place to take Moscow. I do.

Mar 21 40

Mar2140ClosingonMoscow.jpg

Three days later, Moscow is ours! What a glorious day. However, the bear is still fighting on. How can this be? After some analysis, we believe that taking just a couple more cities will do the trick. Jaroslavl is the target.

Mar 24 40

Mar2440Russia.jpg

At this point the Bear is finished for all practical purposes. Although Russia has not been conquered, it has at most 10 obsolete divisions, probably less. I personally would like to thank Hypern for subbing in for Pirro, who had given up this game already. Hypern played out a doomed Russia for us. Cheers to Hypern!

If Hypern did one thing this game, it was to put some pressure on the allies. During this race for Moscow, the French started a broad, powerful offensive. (Something they should have done a long time ago!) With my focus in Russia, and complete air superiority, the French finally broke me in Turnhout after a 10+ day battle with well over 10K in casualties on both sides.

Mar 5 40

Mar540FranceLosing.jpg

That large battle had used many of my reserves as well, and a good number of my units along the border now had lower organizational levels. After taking Turnhout, the French moved South East, attacking Hasselt. Another large battle began, with a similar outcome.

Mar 13 40

Mar1340FranceCollapsing.jpg

The logistical bombing continue.

Mar 15 40

Mar1540FrenchPressFurther.jpg

Hasselt is captured. But by March 21st the Fall of Russia must have been flooding the airwaves of the allied radio stations. Fear of my 'vast' Eastern army turning back toward France must have sparked something in the allies. After reinforcing their positions in Turnhout and Hasselt we see some major troop movements by the French. Their armies are shifting South back toward the Maginot line. Also, you can see that the French have attacked across the line into Saarbrucken. My troops there have been routed!

Mar 21 40

Mar2140France.jpg

Saarbrucken is reclaimed. But the French troop shift continues. The French air corps and the RAF are now targeting my airfield in Bitburg. They have also been bombing my RADAR there. German air supremacy is now just a dream. Thank goodness for the return of my 'vast' Eastern Army.

Mar 23 40

Mar2340FranceHold.jpg

Mar2440Bitburg.jpg

Last edited:
which countries are still being run by human?

Truth is, I can't exactly remember since we had a few players come and go and it has been a while. However, there was always a core group that played.

My best guess: GER, FRA, UK, ITA, JAP, ROM, USA, USSR, Sweden, and maybe Spain and Australia.

We certainly had less and less minor players as the game went on. They have a tendency to get wiped out!

Many new players want to 'learn' about MP games by playing a minor, but I think the best way is as a co-op of a major. Truth is, minors are not really all that fun to play. Especially when you get steam rolled.

Small Spoiler: We shall see more of the minors get steam rolled as the game continues... ;)

Chapter #13-Add: French Movements, Plans

Chapter #13-Add: Between Sessions

Somewhere around March 24th we ended the session. During the time between sessions, the Axis members got together and talked some strategy. I just wanted to let you all know about some of the things that were said.

It was obvious to me that the French were likely moving to the Maginot line. They would likely break out from there and attempt to encircle my Western Army in the lowlands. I did not know how, but the British were likely to support this, probably with a push from Amsterdam. My allies more-or-less agreed with me. However, we differed on how to react to this situation. Of course, in the end, the German troops followed the commands of Der Fuhrer!

I wanted to do something I had not been able to do previously against the French. An encirclement! My plan was to strategically move a number of infantry and tank divisions from the Eastern Front down to the southern part of the Maginot line and wait. We would let the French pass us and move deeper into Germany. Then my two armies would pinch them, cutting off the French spearhead. In theory...

Last edited:
Chapter #13: The Allies Play Their Hand

Chapter #13: April 1940

Situation: Russia is for the most part defeated. Moscow has been taken and little of the Bear's army remain. Still, Germany is using much of its 'vast' army there to finish Russia off. The French are moving a large army to the Maginot line, where the Wehrmacht is weakest. There is little information about the intentions of the British.

Finally, on April 6, 1940 Russia surrendered! However, despite the fact that I held Moscow and Leningrad, the bulk of the country went to Italy! This certainly did not sit well with Der Fuhrer! It also put Italy (Hall) in an awkward spot. Nearly his entire army was in Russia at that point. Much of it would be moved back to Italy to defend itself and to attack France. However, now he have to worry about Partisan uprisings, ect..

April 6 40

April640RussiatoItaly.jpg

In early April the much anticipated French attack began. Dhostar was able to gain ground quickly. This was because I was letting him take it! I pulled many of my troops back to defensive positions and gave him an easy path to areas where I would later try to cut them off.

The British finally tipped their hand. On April 7th they launched an amphibious invasion at the port of Wilhelmshaven. My defenders there were spread to thin. However, I did have some forces in the area with which to slow the enemy. Most of my troops in Denmark were quickly given marching orders to head South.

Even this early in their attack I could see what the British and French were planning. They were going to try to link up and circle my army in the lowlands. This of course would be a complete disaster and a loss for me. But much of this was anticipated. If I could hold the British long enough, I could spring my trap on the French.

April 8 40

April840France.jpg

April840Britainsmoves.jpg

The French were able to continue advancing as I put little in their way. You can see how my troops are setting up behind rivers and there is nothing directly in front of the French.

The British, however, I wanted stopped. I had few assets in the area, but was able to slow their progress. I did this by retaking Wilhelshaven. This was their supply port. They would be forced to come back and retake it. Also, I ordered that a strong defense be set up for the port of Emden.

April 11 40

April1140France.jpg

April1140Britain.jpg

At this time I was strategically moving multiple corps from the Russia front to the West. Many of these troops were heading to the Southern most part of the Maginot line, but others were heading toward Wilhelmshaven. Two corps were sent up into Finland, with the goal being to take back Finland, and then take Sweden and Norway.

April 12 40

April1240Finland.jpg

In just a few short days, Sach was able to surround my troops in Wilhelmshaven and Emden. He had more troops than I did, and many of mine had been strategically moved there, and so could not attack for some time. Command did not see this as a disaster just yet though. If those troops could hold, the Wehrmact might destroy all of Sachs invasion force. :)

April 14 40

April1440BritainandFrance.jpg

The French continued to advance. The British, however, are struggling to regain Wilhelmshaven and Emden. Sorry for the time gap between photos, but there was a lot of action going on at this time. (much stress!) By April 22nd Sach had liberated Wilhelshaven, but my troops there just fled to Emden and dug themselves in there for a long, hard battle.

Sensing that I had pulled much of my troops from Denmark, the Swedes (Fried Curry Powder) launched an invasion of northern Denmark. This was not at all expected! There were just a couple divisions in Copenhagen and one in Fredrikshavn to defend my RADAR there. And I could not afford to move the troops in Copenhagen!

To counter this I sent my fleet into action. The Kreigsmarine quickly engaged the Swedish fleet.

April 22 40

April2240SwedenInvades.jpg

April2240NavalBattle.jpg

The results of the naval battle: No losses on either side, but many Swedish ships were heavily damaged.

I sent in my naval bombers. They were chewed to pieces!

April 22 40

April2240AirSupport.jpg

By April 27th the French advance has reached all the way to Munster. This was further than I had anticipated or desired. My troops from Russia were only now just arriving and coming online. The few I had that could be spared for a counter attack had thus far been relatively unsuccessful. Dhostar was playing a smart game in that he left plenty of troops near the border to prevent being cut off. We were having some success though near the French border in the South.

In the North you can see that the British are now pouring everything they have into capturing Emden. I have for the most part halted their progress.

The Swedish are moving inland, but have yet to take a port. It is becoming obvious there are driving for Fredrikshavn. There is one lone division there.

April 27 40

April2740AlmostTouching.jpg

The counter attack begins. April 28th I sent in everything I had to counter attack the French and British. Initially there were areas of success. And some of not-so-much success. :confused: I felt confident though that if the British continued to be held up, I would have the time to do some real damage to the French.

To aid my troops in Emden, I ordered a massive attack on the province of Papenburg.

April 28 40

April2840CounterAttackII.jpg

April2840CounterAttack.jpg

The counter attack appeared to be showing more and more successes. Then on April 29th, disaster occurred. My troops in Emden surrendered!:eek: The British would now be able to maneuver at will.

April 29 40

April2940FallEmden.jpg

Last edited:
Been a great read up to this point :)

Excellent thread, I have been glued to the screen since I opened it. :D

I really love the chaos and the pressure that is involved. Its a pity that single player doesnt quite capture that kind of magic.

I also agree on not being too harsh on the SU player, the SU has a ton of management to deal with even when its not at war.

Thanks for the comments!

I agree, something needs to be done with AA brigades. But what? More hard attack? Make them cheaper? The problem, as I see it, is that it would be easy to unbalance them in the other direction.

Another suspensful update. The Allied counterattack looks like it might be a bit late.

At this point in the game, me and Dhostar cursed ourselves for not coming up with this manoeuvre earlier, but it was still our hope we could advance deep enough into German territory for it to work before the eastern front units starts pouring in.

At this point in the game, me and Dhostar cursed ourselves for not coming up with this manoeuvre earlier, but it was still our hope we could advance deep enough into German territory for it to work before the eastern front units starts pouring in.

Its easy see in hindsight. I guess it was hard to tell how bad things were in the SU plus there was the distraction in Sweden.

I hope the German hammer doesnt fall to hard.

I agree, something needs to be done with AA brigades. But what? More hard attack? Make them cheaper? The problem, as I see it, is that it would be easy to unbalance them in the other direction.

Yeah was discussed already but IMO the best approach would be to create a "Dual purpose AA/AT" tech that would give decent hard attack values to AA, while naturally make them more expensive. Think of it as towed 88. It would be a 1941 tech but Germany would have it researched from the start, so it would have its historical advantage, but other countries would be able to catch up eventually if they wanted to.

I think it died :(

Status
Not open for further replies.