• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter #13: The War Grinds On

Chapter #13: Jan 40 to Feb 40

Our forces in Russia continue to have victory after victory. There has been a lot of pressure from my allies to finish the bear off. Although unopposed, we are moving slower than expected in Russia. However, we are not the only ones getting bad news.

Jan 25 40

Jan2540RussiaNews.jpg

To hasten things, and perhaps later help the Fins, I conducted an amphibious invasion of Leningrad. Across the front my troops are mostly unopposed, but are in disarray, and have low amounts of organization. I decided to take a week or two to reorganize them.

You can see on the map that Moscow is now in sight. I have instructed my allies to race for it. They continue to complain to me that I should be the one racing forward, but also claim that they will get there first?!?

Jan 31 40

Jan3140RussianFront.jpg

The Japanese-Italian-Russian Front

Jan 31 40

Jan3140Italy-Japan.jpg

By early February, you can see British troops arriving in Finland. This will surely doom Finland. I hope to have some German troops there soon.

Feb 6 40

Feb640FinlandLenningrad.jpg

By later February, you can see we have executed yet another encirclement near Leningrad. However, our progress is slow. We have advanced maybe two territories across the line. The slow pace has allowed me to reorganize my armies.

Feb 18 40

Feb1840RussianFinlandMoscow.jpg

The lines in France have once again stabilized. The British control the coast, but can not move inland.

Jan 31 40

Jan3140France.jpg

A week later, the same. The logistical bombardments continue however. Supplies are always an issue.

Feb 6 40

Feb640France.jpg

At this point the British line around Rotterdam and Amsterdam appeared weaker than usual. I knew that the British had troops in Finland, so I decided to attack!

Feb 8 40

Feb840France.jpg

This turned out to be yet another disaster. Our troops were routed and the British were able to move inward once again.

Feb 9 40

Feb940France.jpg

Leveraging this gain, Sach decided he would try to take advantage of this. He struck NE from Rotterdam. There are many "little" battles going on here. The casualties of even one of the small battles are in the thousands. Having rarely played Germany, and never in MP, I was very concerned about manpower. I was not used to losses like this.

Feb 13 40

Feb1340France.jpg

As always, the British were unable to move inland. Without the support of their ships, they appear just about useless. :laugh:

Feb 18 40

Feb1840France.jpg

However, the pressure is constantly on me from my allies to finish the war in France. As if there wasn't enough pressure just trying to play Germany in a two front war by myself!!! However, as always I am confident. Victory is our Destiny.

Feb 26 40

Feb2640DestinyEvent.jpg

I do not know why, but our Italian allies have taken back their very valuable transport. A lesson for everyone about anyone claiming to be an ally.

Feb 28 40

Feb2840ItalytakesTransport.jpg

Last edited:
Lol those german decisions... Good you could still use it, it will give you the oooomph you need. Else things would deteriorate quickly.

Good move on Leningrad, it´s almost impossible to be dislodged there and it´s a big loss of IC and leadership for SU.

Don't be too harsh on the SU player. It's very hard to defend against several Axis countries controlled by the human players in 1939-1940. There is a reason why Barbarossa often starts in 1940 in MP games. Being on the run in a real-time game while controlling 1250165 divs is no fun and even if you withdraw deeper inland, the Axis WILL make breakthroughs in 1940/1941 if the Axis players know what they are doing.

Kudos for the guys who play the Allies in this game. They are doing a good job.

Last edited:
Don't be too harsh on the SU player. It's very hard to defend against several Axis countries controlled by the player in 1939-1940. There is a reason why Barbarossa often starts in 1940 in MP games. Being on the run in a real-time game while controlling 1250165 divs is no fun and even if you withdraw deeper inland, the Axis WILL make breakthroughs in 1940/1941 if the Axis players know what they are doing.

Agreed. Also if I remember correctly the Italians and Japs arent even at war with the other Allies.

It appears to me, if the Allies are not careful they will lose because they let the bear die.

Agreed. Also if I remember correctly the Italians and Japs arent even at war with the other Allies.

It appears to me, if the Allies are not careful they will lose because they let the bear die.

Hello i am the French player. Very nice of you to see the problem, but what would you do as the allies to save the bear?

Have you tried amphibious landings further north in order to distract the Germans or crazy things like invasions in the Black Sea region? If you use no HRs that limit amphibious invasions, they are a powerful tool at the disposal of the Allies, if you can deal with the Axis' navies or they are busy elsewhere.

Have you tried amphibious landings further north in order to distract the Germans or crazy things like invasions in the Black Sea region? If you use no HRs that limit amphibious invasions, they are a powerful tool at the disposal of the Allies, if you can deal with the Axis' navies or they are busy elsewhere.

Now that would be spoiling, wouldn't it ;)?

Hello i am the French player. Very nice of you to see the problem, but what would you do as the allies to save the bear?

Hi Dhostar,

Please keep in my that I am only playing my second game of HOI3, both games as Italy (although I did originally play HOI). This means I am not that familiar with the limitations imposed by the diplomacy system and I havent engaged in warfare in northern Europe.

I presume you cant declare on Italy and or Japan (an obvious move) because of neutrality. I also presume military access with the Soviets must not be available because this is another obvious move.

You have have naval and air supremecy. Also Sweden is an an ally. The obvious move to me is an amphibious invasion of Denmark from the west in conjunciton with a land invasion from Sweden. If Denmark is secured it opens up the Baltic (as I understand with my limited gameplay time). You can then stop the naval invasions by Germany and also do your own. A thrust south from Denmark would threaten the supply lines of the German forces on both the eastern and western fronts. With your air superiorty you could also attempt to disrupt the supply lines going to the eastern front with strategic bombing. You could also concentrate on trying to raise dissent in Germany which could also hinder their supply lines.

Hi Dhostar,

Please keep in my that I am only playing my second game of HOI3, both games as Italy (although I did originally play HOI). This means I am not that familiar with the limitations imposed by the diplomacy system and I havent engaged in warfare in northern Europe.

I presume you cant declare on Italy and or Japan (an obvious move) because of neutrality. I also presume military access with the Soviets must not be available because this is another obvious move.

You have have naval and air supremecy. Also Sweden is an an ally. The obvious move to me is an amphibious invasion of Denmark from the west in conjunciton with a land invasion from Sweden. If Denmark is secured it opens up the Baltic (as I understand with my limited gameplay time). You can then stop the naval invasions by Germany and also do your own. A thrust south from Denmark would threaten the supply lines of the German forces on both the eastern and western fronts. With your air superiorty you could also attempt to disrupt the supply lines going to the eastern front with strategic bombing. You could also concentrate on trying to raise dissent in Germany which could also hinder their supply lines.

That is allright, i just wanted to see what kind of plan you had to compare with what me and sach actually did :)

The reason we did not attack Italy was because we did not want to pull Japan into the war without USA to help us. We had an ingame rule of Japan not allowed to declare war on anybody else being played by a human player than USSR, without declaring war on USA. I think an invasion of Denmark would be possible when Finland is beaten, but i think we have to let JD tell what happened.

That is allright, i just wanted to see what kind of plan you had to compare with what me and sach actually did :)

The reason we did not attack Italy was because we did not want to pull Japan into the war without USA to help us. We had an ingame rule of Japan not allowed to declare war on anybody else being played by a human player than USSR, without declaring war on USA. I think an invasion of Denmark would be possible when Finland is beaten, but i think we have to let JD tell what happened.

I am the armchair general here, so much respect to you and your fellow players. You have spiked my interest even more with your cryptic reply on my plan. :) I am looking forward to the next few updates to see what happens.

When Japan wants to declare war on a Major power except Soviet Union, they need to attack USA too. USA can't join Allies or declare war on a country before 1942.

Ok, this makes sense. If you declare war on Japan, then it will be very hard to get the USA into the war until '42. A fine line to walk when the Russian bear is on the on the ropes.

On vacation with the family in Canada this week, so no post for a few more days.

Don't be too harsh on the SU player. It's very hard to defend against several Axis countries controlled by the human players in 1939-1940. There is a reason why Barbarossa often starts in 1940 in MP games. Being on the run in a real-time game while controlling 1250165 divs is no fun and even if you withdraw deeper inland, the Axis WILL make breakthroughs in 1940/1941 if the Axis players know what they are doing.

Agreed. So many who have not played a faction leader in a MP game just do not understand how much it really is. At least I did not. In any case, Russia's biggest mistake was declaring war on Germany in the first place, not its tactical decisions.

Don't want to spoil anything...:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.