• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nuril

Ceteris Paribus
103 Badges
May 1, 2006
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Magicka
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Alright, now depending on what the answer is this is either a "Enlighten me" or "Please include this at some point" thread. :)

Now we know that things like the following is possible:

count_arabic;Sheikh;Cheikh;Scheich;;Jeque;;;;;;;;;x
county_of_arabic;Sheikhdom of;Cheikat de;Scheichtum von;;Dominio del Jeque;;;;;;;;;x
job_chancellor_arabic;Grand Vizier;Grand Vizir;Großwesir;;Gran Visir;;;;;;;;;x

And that we can rename provinces in-game (and thus Count and Baron titles), but is this possible to do through commands in events?
Do we have the ability to rename higher titles (Dukes, Kings, Emperors) through commands (even though we can't re-type them)? Not as in the "Count/Sheikh", but as Smyrna/Izmir.

I've tried using _culture on titles in localization and it didn't do anything in the way I typed it. It would be fantastic if we could make it automatically work with _culture and _religion modifers. Being able to have Turk/Greek-controlled Anatolia automatically use Turkish/Greek names for the territory, the Holy Land etc. Also places that are tribal or had their regions renamed when conquered. :)

The _culture and _religion modifiers would be the best since it avoids the unnecessary clutter of events firing for individual provinces and it'd be really helpful. It'd also mean that the "One Kingdom only" rule for territory is less strict since the same Kingdom title could double for another should the need arise.

Are you thinking of using the localisation files of separate languages to be able to change the name of a province depending on who owns it? It'd be great if that could work, but I've never heard of anything like that being done in any other games using the same engine.

Are you thinking of using the localisation files of separate languages to be able to change the name of a province depending on who owns it? It'd be great if that could work, but I've never heard of anything like that being done in any other games using the same engine.
It's done very well in EU3, where paradox included the Turkish names --> Greek names after a resurgent Byzantine empire takes control again. Modders also created an awesome system of naming colonies, where the culture in the colony dictated what the name would be by firing an event. I'm not sure if this is possible on Clausewitz however.

It's done very well in EU3, where paradox included the Turkish names --> Greek names after a resurgent Byzantine empire takes control again. Modders also created an awesome system of naming colonies, where the culture in the colony dictated what the name would be by firing an event. I'm not sure if this is possible on Clausewitz however.

Eu3 was Clausewitz ...

Alright, now depending on what the answer is this is either a "Enlighten me" or "Please include this at some point" thread. :)

Now we know that things like the following is possible:

count_arabic;Sheikh;Cheikh;Scheich;;Jeque;;;;;;;;;x
county_of_arabic;Sheikhdom of;Cheikat de;Scheichtum von;;Dominio del Jeque;;;;;;;;;x
job_chancellor_arabic;Grand Vizier;Grand Vizir;Großwesir;;Gran Visir;;;;;;;;;x

And that we can rename provinces in-game (and thus Count and Baron titles), but is this possible to do through commands in events?
Do we have the ability to rename higher titles (Dukes, Kings, Emperors) through commands (even though we can't re-type them)? Not as in the "Count/Sheikh", but as Smyrna/Izmir.
I'm not certain I understood you correctly... are you saying you believe a Sheikh or Grand Vizier is displayed as "Scheich" or "Großwesir" when he's a German?

That is not the case, those things you posted are excerpts from the game localization files, and you can only switch the entire game from one language to another BEFORE starting the game. You cannot do so in-game, certainly not selectively just for Sheikh or Baron titles.

There are culturally specific titles for Barons and such (like the Earls in England) but that is stored somewhere else.

I'm not certain I understood you correctly... are you saying you believe a Sheikh or Grand Vizier is displayed as "Scheich" or "Großwesir" when he's a German?

No..? Re-read the original post, I'm talking about the actual names of titles in the game, not language-issues. Think Constantinople->Istanbul. That isn't just a translation issue, that is simply a difference given who controls the territory. I'd want the good ol' "_religion/_culture" code that allows you to create the same flavour as the Sheikh/Count distinction to also be possible with provinces and high titles like what the Kingdoms and Duchies are called. It'd also easily allow for the Al-Andalus muslim-only kingdom to simply be Andalusia if Christian.

There are culturally specific titles for Barons and such (like the Earls in England) but that is stored somewhere else.

Again, I specifically said that I wasn't talking about how characters are addressed ("Not as in the "Count/Sheikh", but as Smyrna/Izmir."), but rather the Titles associated with territory in the game.

Where the heck are you people getting that idea from? I just quoted a bit of standard Localization text.. :confused:

But yes, I'm hoping of including dynamic names depending on what culture controls what in regions in my modding where I would find it interesting and appropriate, but not suddenly typing it out in Runes or Greek or something. :)

I don't think it's possible to change the names of ducal and kingdom titles, but it seems possible to script in events that change the name of counties and baronies. This would need quite a lot of events, though, or actually a fairly lengthy event.

Also, the <name>_<culture> trick could have worked - I do think it would be easy for the devs to allow this in a patch, but it's currently not possible to use this technique for names of titles.

--

On a side note, while the "count_of_<culture>" lines work properly, they take the highest liege culture, and not the province or direct leader culture. I tried to make a mod to call the german lord-mayors "Burgomasters", but I ended up with 'Burgomasters' in Pisa, Urbino etc.

Where the heck are you people getting that idea from? I just quoted a bit of standard Localization text.. :confused:

But yes, I'm hoping of including dynamic names depending on what culture controls what in regions in my modding where I would find it interesting and appropriate, but not suddenly typing it out in Runes or Greek or something. :)

Ah, well for what it's worth I'd like what you're asking for. I was just curious and thrown down the wrong path with the localisation quote, my bad.

I don't think it's possible to change the names of ducal and kingdom titles, but it seems possible to script in events that change the name of counties and baronies. This would need quite a lot of events, though, or actually a fairly lengthy event.

In EU:Rome the TAG's name is soft-coded in the Save game, so maybe enabling it being fluid during the game (thus allowing for Commands) could also be done? Though I'd prefer being able to _culture/_religion them. But yeah, I've got hundreds of events in front of me just to flip province-names and it still wouldn't have the correct Ducal titles. *Shrugs*

Also, the <name>_<culture> trick could have worked - I do think it would be easy for the devs to allow this in a patch, but it's currently not possible to use this technique for names of titles.

Aye, let's hope so. The Name-change mod in EU3 seems well recieved, so such easy cosmetic functionality seems like something many people would enjoy having (and it couldn't affect the balance of the game, so no fears of it messing something up. :)

On a side note, while the "count_of_<culture>" lines work properly, they take the highest liege culture, and not the province or direct leader culture. I tried to make a mod to call the german lord-mayors "Burgomasters", but I ended up with 'Burgomasters' in Pisa, Urbino etc.

Ah, good to know. Not a huge deal in my case since the things I'm thinking of aren't at an Imperial level, but I can see that being a problem if you rule across Germany, Italy etc. Would be nice if it could be based on the character's own culture too. :)

Ah, well for what it's worth I'd like what you're asking for. I was just curious and thrown down the wrong path with the localisation quote, my bad.

Alright, cheers!

How much do you reckon it'd cost? I can kick in £10 and some Lutfisk?

No idea, but it'd save me enough time and add enough to my work that I'd be up for it. Not saying it should be standard fare, Paradox, but it would let you do the modding community a solid without necessarily losing money for the time spent!

No idea, but it'd save me enough time and add enough to my work that I'd be up for it. Not saying it should be standard fare, Paradox, but it would let you do the modding community a solid without necessarily losing money for the time spent!
I could throw another 10 euros into the pile if we also get the option of picking whether an emperor can make king titles are not in the defines. :p

Isn't dynamic county naming already in the name? I thought you could rename counties, and that would change the title as well.

I'd love it if we could change the names of kingdoms with localization based on culture or religion. Imagine having a Celt conquering France and having the title change to King of Gaul. There's so much potential fun there.

Personally, I'd like to have the ability to create titular empires once you have enough kingdoms under your control, with a name of your choice and your family's coat of arms. That'd be fun.

Isn't dynamic county naming already in the name? I thought you could rename counties, and that would change the title as well.

No, you have to set it manually while in the game, that's not really relevant to enabling a default localization for different cultures. This would be for flavour and modding purposes. Also to not make switches between radically different cultures/names look very silly for the titles people hold. :)

And it doesn't work for higher titles like Duchies or Kingdoms.