• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
William won quickly in mine, then had a long har fight with the king of Norway whom he eventually won against. Rather cool, in my opinion. Though I think I will start the game after England is Norman in my game.

Long war in mine, England almost totally occupied by Harald and William. William eventually won, with Harald being known as the Lion. Willam died, and his second son's son became king, so all of his other children have claims to the throne, and I have Eadgar in my court. Now Harald's grandson is at war with England again while being occupied by the Duke of the Isles.

I played as William and won the crown. Sadly, the foreign conqueror penalty on all my holdings prevented me from withstanding the King of France DOWing me for the crown and taking it from me about 10 years later (he was my son-in-law too and was supposed to be the ally I had as a last resort).

Honestly, I get the foreign conqueror penalty, but it is way too harsh. Basically no levies or income in conquerored provinces for 20 years? Not a fan of that bit.

I have seen William win occasionaly, but not often at all. But to set things straight, Harold had just conquered Normandy himself once. And thus recreating William's realm, in some other way :-D

I've only seen Harald win once. Which is even less than William.

Also: Doesn't William start with an army already in England? Then why does he actually need the boats?

I also think I'll start most of my games after the conquest, unless I participate in it. I like a historical sandbox but I want to start from at least a base of plausibility, if the Saxons or Norway win and a millenium of Anglo-Franco tension's are instantly wiped out Europe is going to lose some of its flavor for me.

Harold has won in every one of my about a dozen test games with various characters. One time Harald had about 70 warscore and whole northern England occupied while William had a few counties in the south and Harold was running around in Normandy and still somehow Harold won. I can only assume William white peaced after he lost Normandy and Harald died of old age before rest of his sieges finished.

Harald (I believe he died and his son took over) and Harold was duking it out after 20 years. William dropped from the game rather fast.

Whenever I've not been involved its Norway.

I started as William and managed to peace it and gain the throne, and was then subsequently destroyed by Norway. Suffice to say I'll be rethinking this one over the next week.

I have seen Normandy win, I have seen the English win as well. Never saw Norway win. I played one game as Lancaster and knifed both enemy leaders. White peace...England wins!

I usually see William win. He tends to lose mostly because he dies during the war. Unfortunately I have seen Norway swoop in 3/5 times afterwards and take the defenseless England from him. The animosity he faces from the native saxons and the province modifiers attached to every single settlement prevent him from raising any troops to defend his new kingdom. His saxon vassals certainly can though, and that isn't helpful.

The game feels like rock em sock em title war right now. Gigantic duchies pass between the faiths, and kingdoms are in frequent succession/authority/civil war.

Norway won in mine, but when I looked back at what had happened 10-20 years later England was caught in a civil war. It was insanity as Bedford, York and Oxford all took to the field against the Viking King.

In my last game I actually played England. I got thrashed early on and decided to just surrender to Normandy, thus becoming the Duke of Bedford. Then I thought it'd be a good idea to swear fealty to France, and claim back my crown. It was a very long war, William the Bastard didn't want to give in even when I occupied 95% of his demense (He lost all his troops fighting Norway who were still after the Crown when I surrendered). In the end I hired a bunch of mercs and he swiftly hoisted a white flag :D.

I've seen Norway win it and even Harold. Whenever Normandy wins, civil war usually breaks out a couple of years later.

In my Irish game, William won...but after his death England's been embroiled in near endless civil war for the throne.

In my last game as the duke of Holland Harold managed to hold on to his throne and his oldest son succeeded him but he succumbed to the northern dukes (one of them had died and the other one inherited it) and they ruled the kingdom after him. They were on the verge of losing their throne to the Godwinsons again but then the game ended.
Always seems to happen for me, too. One way to prevent this - that would certainly make historical sense - would be to set the succession laws of Northumberland and York to elective.

Flanders :p

Dutch Kings of England

Like others already told as well I tried to play as William of Normandy and found that indeed the following issues makes life difficult for William and Harold Godwinson:
- Not enough fleets to instantly transport all your troops of William
- Harold seems to be on the offensive in Normandy instead of defending this realm at home
- If victorious with William, the different culture, recently conquered and other penalties hurt a lot, especially as you can easily afterwards get into conflict with the king of France and not be able to raise any troops (or gold and buy mercenaries) for a long time to counter this.

It seems to me that in order to make conquest of England by William viable the number of ships (or fleet) he starts with should be sufficient to transport the entire army at once. Furthermore his manpower base in either Normandy or England should be increased so that he can at least hold on to his claims without entirely relying on luck of not being attacked.

First of all I really do love this game and cant wait for the full version, well done! Im sure some of this is "demo" related so I would take it all with a grain of salt.

In 4 Games as William, so far in each one William has died during the campaign... In my last game just now I was at 85% warscore and he was leading a backwater seige, got maimed and died 3 days later thus rendering the entire war useless due to his death! Am I just really unlucky and is this WAD, war ends on rulers death and you get nothing?

Played as the Welsh once and William beat them all so maybe I just suck... lol.

I see several issue's, but some of these can be changed depending on how you play and of course could just be demo related.

1. Norway is quite strong and will take over lands you have conquered from england.. a bit strange but I suppose not out the realm of possibility. They seem to be different every game though, once they went after me quite hard, other times they simply walked away, even when they had far better odds.
2. Harold (AI) will suicide his army if you lure him into a mainland invasion.
3. From my experience so far, William (and thus maybe all leaders) die or get injured very easily in protracted wars, even when its mostly seige laying and not battles. I have not once so far killed Harold or any other noble (that I know of) in battle, yet its happened to me in 4 consectuive games???

Anyway, Im not going to be seriously critical of any demo so will wait for the full game... Cant wait and really, IMO, well done paradox, I love it already!

Edit:

In my Irish game, William won...but after his death England's been embroiled in near endless civil war for the throne.

This and other posts is what really seems different in this game, the possibilities.... And really, is this so far fetched considering? I dont think so

Last edited:
Really odd when I have played as William I found that Godwinson doesnt want to do anything but wait for me to do something then attack me. He ignores the big army sieging York.

So I just destroy him and then siege as much of England as possible to limit muster posibilities then I defeat Haadrada. The Last point the only parts of England I had not successfully sieged the capitals of were

Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Derby, Cheshire, Lancashire, West Morland, Durham and Northumberland. That sounds a lot but Godwinson gave up by this point and I didnt want to waste my time loosing mercs when the cash went bang and England decide to raise troops again. By this point Haadrada had made peace with Godwinson even though it was me who did the work.

I was about to continue the game after distributing my lands and keeping ten castles for myself. When the game crashed. (Its my laptop not the demo, I will play the full game on the decent laptop). Shame I had role played that reasonably well as the political situation by 1071 in England was about the same as historicly.