• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Artisans, so long the forgotten children of V2, are now a fully-functional and useful POP. Until you go through the industrial revolution, you should love and cherish these guys, and look after them; they will buy RGO items and produce the goods your population is failing to get from the WM. And they provide good tax income, too. Don't be afraid to offer them a subsidy, if you can afford to, it helps them no end.

How do you subsidize artisans? Is this a PDM thing, or something I missed?

Negative tariffs.

POPs do only add demand when they can afford to buy. That old bug was fixed a loooooooooong time ago. If you look in any savegame, you'll find 'demand', which is total world-wide desire for a good, and 'real demand', which is demand from POPs who can afford to purchase. That's what is reported as 'demand' in game, and is what's used to calculate prices.

If that is correct, prestige infuence over world market is the thing which spoils system.
If there was no prestige barrier price would rise to the point that demand equals supply. It would get rid of all "surpulus disaster". Sphere system should be left as it is - let you use some resources cheaper.
From the economic point of view - if supply is lesser then demand the price should skyrocket until demand for such a precious good would equal the supply.
Then if some country would increase their efficiency of producing some goods, price would fall down but demand would increase, and the economy will be stable.

If that is correct, prestige infuence over world market is the thing which spoils system.
If there was no prestige barrier price would rise to the point that demand equals supply. It would get rid of all "surpulus disaster". Sphere system should be left as it is - let you use some resources cheaper.
From the economic point of view - if supply is lesser then demand the price should skyrocket until demand for such a precious good would equal the supply.
Then if some country would increase their efficiency of producing some goods, price would fall down but demand would increase, and the economy will be stable.

Prestige is only buying order....

Is it possible/has anyone tried to mod out the price floors/ceilings on goods and let prices move freely?

I bet it would collapse the system, but I'm kind of interested in how it collapses the system.

As S1234567890m says, Prestige is just the buying order, and causes no 'barrier' effect.

Is it possible/has anyone tried to mod out the price floors/ceilings on goods and let prices move freely?

Price is calculated by the ratio of supply:demand, and so doesn't really have a ceiling. It also doesn't really have a floor, either, of the same reason. While they do exist, they're effectively only there because it's impossible to have infinite demand for something, or infinite supply. For the same reason, you can't have 0 supply or demand, either - that's why even on goods that aren't being produced anywhere, supply = 1.

I end up needing to subsidize everything due to them being profitable/unprofitable on a day to day basis and never being consistently so. Also because a level 10 factory that goes bankrupt losing 9 levels when I wasn't looking for a momentary hickup is a load of horse offal.

Why must steamers and clippers be separate factories? When it takes 3 years to build a factory I don't want to be micromanaging the switch from one industry to another; I'ld prefer it if you only have one type of factory for ships just to ease player friendliness. And simply have steamer needing ships have exponential demands with each new ship type to reflect the rising costs of navies.

Why must steamers and clippers be separate factories? When it takes 3 years to build a factory I don't want to be micromanaging the switch from one industry to another; I'ld prefer it if you only have one type of factory for ships just to ease player friendliness. And simply have steamer needing ships have exponential demands with each new ship type to reflect the rising costs of navies.

Unless you defaulted everything to steamer factories, this would be a bad idea. The conversion to steamers helps drive iron, coal, and steel industries.

And to be perfectly honest, I just delete clipper factories once I delete my wooden ships. Let the artisans build wooden yachts. Factories need to be churning out materials for ironclads and dreadnoughts so I can dominate the planet.

Ideally you would have the factories having evolving needs and requirements as technology gets researched and inventions fire, so that the factories themselves change with changing conditions. You can always have the inputs for the merged factory be averaged between the two otherwise and offload the input cost for the construction of the construction be in the construction cost itself and the maintanance cost of the unit.

The best theoretical ideal is a single factory that can produce both kinds of hulls based on supply-demand with its required inputs changing depending on the outputs at the time. This opens up the way for "Quality" tiers of goods so you can have the upward shift in manufacturing that for example post war Germany and Japan entered during their industrialization booms.

For example as noted by Paul Kennedy in The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers France's industry was smaller than Britains it however made up for it at the time by its focus on quality and well crafted goods (and by "time" I mean the 19th century so the time period of V2:AHD), which added quite a bit to French GDP, better cars, better wine, better food, better textiles etc, just "less" but you know, Less is More(tm).

This is probably my single biggest problem with the game is that everyone's industries are very samey in this regard.

Followed by other minor and major issues; like the inability to specify tarrifs on individual goods (or countries for that matter). I must embargo french wine by jove!

And let the trade wars begin!

Which could be enacted as laws as per the Lower House Expansion proposal thingy I mentioned a while back.

Unless you defaulted everything to steamer factories, this would be a bad idea. The conversion to steamers helps drive iron, coal, and steel industries.

And to be perfectly honest, I just delete clipper factories once I delete my wooden ships. Let the artisans build wooden yachts. Factories need to be churning out materials for ironclads and dreadnoughts so I can dominate the planet.
Clipper factories can continue to be profitable long after you've switched to steamers though. Though of course they cease to have any strategic importance.

Clipper factories can continue to be profitable long after you've switched to steamers though. Though of course they cease to have any strategic importance.

This; since Rich POPs buy clippers, and so do poor countries, they're not really worth deleting - just not worth supporting, either.

This; since Rich POPs buy clippers, and so do poor countries, they're not really worth deleting - just not worth supporting, either.

You guys must not have my capis, then. They overbuild the damn things, tying up labor and factory slots for something I don't care that much about and overproduce until it's not profitable anymore. Meanwhile, the navy is starving for steamers... :(

Sometimes, capitalists in AHD are just as boneheaded as they were in V2. Then again, capis in the real world are boneheaded to, so I guess its historically accurate.

Hi guys... How to create a new thread?
or if u could just answer me here... where factory income goes? does it increase my total income or not?

Some factory income is used to pay for workers, and anything over £1000 left in the budget afterwards goes to the Capitalists. You're income comes from taxing these POPs.

I end up needing to subsidize everything due to them being profitable/unprofitable on a day to day basis and never being consistently so. Also because a level 10 factory that goes bankrupt losing 9 levels when I wasn't looking for a momentary hickup is a load of horse offal.

It's also not possible. A factory must be making a loss for 30 consecutive days before it shuts down or loses a level.

Edit: Oh, and while I am here, the beta patch in the tech support forum is probably rather helpful to the economy in general in case people have not noticed it yet.

You guys must not have my capis, then. They overbuild the damn things, tying up labor and factory slots for something I don't care that much about and overproduce until it's not profitable anymore. Meanwhile, the navy is starving for steamers... :(

Sometimes, capitalists in AHD are just as boneheaded as they were in V2. Then again, capis in the real world are boneheaded to, so I guess its historically accurate.
Yeah, overbuilding does happen sometimes. I don't know if the capitalists have any "let's not flood the market" factor in their business decisions, but even if they do there's probably some room for improvement. Still, it's possible to get to #1 industrial power with them in full control (with the right nation, techs etc.), so generally I think they do work well.

Well, my problem is, that I play with really big profits, but in the 70s it always hits me big time. Everything's going down. I absolutely have no idea why.

Let's take canned food for a moment. It's in high demand. My soldiers need it and the world needs it too. I have a province where I get 3 out of 4 needed raw materials for this product. Why is this factory losing money? I'm Nr. 3 in Prestige, so I should get everything, I need, even if I didn't have it myself.

Fun facts:

Opening one single factory costs you money, opening all of them at once, doesn't cost you a single dime.

When I open closed factories, they get a ton of workers, make huge surpluses and after few days with nice surpluses, they go broke. It's a bit like premature ejaculation... :eek:o

What am I doing wrong? I never had such issues in Victoria... now with AHD everything is going down.

I kind of like deciding between competing investments. Before, you could make money without a problem. Now, you have to be more careful about what you spend money on and what you invest RPs and your spare cash in. Even Russia and France, supposedly forgivingly easy to learn to play, go negative without taking care.

Not sure what country you are playing, but look at your income and look at your expenses. Raise taxes, or cut spending. Generate a surplus that you can invest in factories. Too fast expansion can be a problem.

Honestly, the only nation that has way too much cash in AHD is China. I do like the substate concept with China, but the Chinese are dripping in cash in AHD. Once they westernize, the world is open to them. They acquire their substates, and suddenly have craftsmen and cash pouring in everywhere. The only problem is building factories fast enough to accommodate the growth.

I'm playing as Brazil and the year is 1857. At first I was doing pretty good, was able to run on most sliders high. Suddenly over 50% the middle strata can't get none of their life needs fulfilled (about 80% of artisans). I've had to lower national stockpile and army sliders to almost zero and I'm still barely scraping by. What could cause this? I'm in the SOI of France.