• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HeilLoki

Major
95 Badges
Nov 30, 2010
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hi! It's my third (longterm) game now and I have to say, that the economy in AHD is a total failure! I'm third in prestige and third biggest Great Power.

Until about 1970-75 everything is just fine, but then everything goes downhill. It's unplayable. When I subsidize my factories, most of them make a surplus, but some of them are deep in the red, even though they produce high demand things.

I have played it without many commerce techs and with many commerce techs. It doesn't matter.

I played it with State Capitalism, with Laissez faire and planned economy. I tried everything I could, but in the 70s you just can't make money anymore. Artisans run away, but factory workers go unemployed too, because all my factories close down, once I don't subsidize them anymore.

Cliffs:

- After ~ 1970 economy goes berserk.

- Artisans go down, but factories go down too.

- Subsidized Factories are more likely to make a surplus, but some of them are much to expensive, so you have to close 'em, if you want to survive.

- If you close stop subsidizing factories, they immediatly make minus and go broke.

- I have about 90 % of my factory workers unemployed now, because subsidies are much, much, much, much too expensive.

- After running a healthy surplus of several 100 pounds, I can't make a surplus anymore, even if I reduce spending everywhere to zero - 1 % National Stockpile etc.

Last edited:
You need to provide more information. It's quite possible to maintain a working economy in my experience. For example, why are your factories going into the negative? Are they not selling enough? Are you lacking input resources?

Also subsidies are not something you should ever be relying on. If a factory is going out of business there's usually a good reason for it. You should be very strict about which factories get subsidized; I'd limit it at one per type of factory, and furthermore only for factories that produce goods with fluctuating demand, such as military goods.

I just finished a full game and I didn't see any economic crash. What resources in your game were becoming unprofitable to manufacture? Did you add another nation to your sphere recently that could out-produce your factories? Do you have a save file?

I'm of the same opinion, the AI cannot get the system to work (USA 1st in world bankrupt, everyone else goes bankrupt a lot). The only time I've managed to have an income to support a decent sized military was as japan, I had laissez faire and capitalists national focus in every province, pure economic game. My biggest problem is that most of the non-tax techs don't really do anything until a barrier where your capitalists can produce without worrying about money, then it goes berserk.

I usually stockpile on resources when I have cash to do so, but that usually ends with nobody else having any resources killing the world economy. Only china with an army since irregulars don't cost much.

I'm of the same opinion, the AI cannot get the system to work (USA 1st in world bankrupt, everyone else goes bankrupt a lot). The only time I've managed to have an income to support a decent sized military was as japan, I had laissez faire and capitalists national focus in every province, pure economic game. My biggest problem is that most of the non-tax techs don't really do anything until a barrier where your capitalists can produce without worrying about money, then it goes berserk.

I usually stockpile on resources when I have cash to do so, but that usually ends with nobody else having any resources killing the world economy. Only china with an army since irregulars don't cost much.

I've got 500 brigades, 200 cruisers and 50 dreadnoughts. I can afford my military just fine. Armies are a lot smaller now, which is a good thing.

With bankruptcy it isn't so much the AI's economic game being bad [In my last game, the US had almost twice my industry] it's just the bankrupt trigger is -way- too sensitive given how big late-game money tics can be.

Trying to support 25 brigades as USA was leading me to run a huge debt during war time with the whole of north America conquered. Its not really a great thing when Mexico had 10 brigades and didn't seem willing to buy anymore ://

First of the game ends arounds 1935 so you point is invaild, close this accursed THREAD.

Only thing that ain't seem to be working now is capitalists not doing anything.

Last edited:
First of the game ends arounds 1935 so you point is invaild THE END CLOSE THIS THREAD.

Only thing that ain't seem to be working now is capitalists not doing anything.

I assumed he meant 18xx instead of 19xx, it's an easy mistake to make.

My capitalists were working overtime when they had the money. They always made sure factories were being built/upgraded as demand permitted, but they did make a lot of stupid choices along the way.

He prolly means 1870. Capitalists work if you stockpile goods and let them buy (as well as having 70k of them). In fact if you get a monopoly on everything they play the game for you.

He prolly means 1870. Capitalists work if you stockpile goods and let them buy (as well as having 70k of them). In fact if you get a monopoly on everything they play the game for you.

I only had 1200 capitalists but they were so wealthy they could upgrade and finance everything I could ever want. I'm not sure numbers really matter, as long as you have a small population of them in every state. Heck. I had problems making capitalists, and for a good portion of the game I was using capitalists from states I grabbed from neighbours to finance my growth.

So I should try to stockpile goods like iron, cotton etc. and then get laissez faire?

Problem is, I play as Ireland right now and they don't have any laissez faire parties... even anarcho liberals are interventionists.

Well, I never stockpiled in Victoria before AHD and everything worked just fine, if you put the right factories in the right provices. Now, everything goes down the drain everytime in the 70s. AI can't manage it very well either... USA bankrupt, France bankrupt (ok, I crushed them in a war pretty hard), Prussia bankrupt and every single small country bankrupt too.

If AI does the buying and selling of the national stockpile, your econony should run well, I think. It should run better, if you manage it yourself, but it shouldn't be totally wrecked, just because I don't manage the national stockpile myself. That's why AI countries are bankrupt all the time.

Yeah, the only good news is that CK2 demo was awesome so I'll be able to shelve this to let a patch or two hit it. Way too boring without any wars around and way too troublesome with going in the red over high demand stuff because everybody is constantly Black Friday mode. Not to mention that no luxuries and low everyday needs make running a country messy with the peasants constantly rallying for suffrage every couple years.

Problem is, I play as Ireland right now and they don't have any laissez faire parties... even anarcho liberals are interventionists.

Well, I never stockpiled in Victoria before AHD and everything worked just fine, if you put the right factories in the right provices. Now, everything goes down the drain everytime in the 70s. AI can't manage it very well either... USA bankrupt, France bankrupt (ok, I crushed them in a war pretty hard), Prussia bankrupt and every single small country bankrupt too.

Intervention is my favourite economic policy now, hands down. You can boost your capitalists manually during the early years, and during the late ones you can invest in puppet states, building the factories your capitalists won't build there. Sure you won't reap the profits, but if you -really- need something [tanks, for example] it can be a good idea.

THE END CLOSE THIS THREAD.

Why do people make such arrogant comments?

You don't get to decide when to shut a conversation down. It's rude to everyone else who posted in the thread. To order it, in allcaps nonetheless? Get over yourself.

Especially since you're the only one who couldn't understand the outrage you detected was a typo. Just sad.

I'm a bit puzzled here by the problems you are reporting.

I've had very few problems with just letting the game run my economy as Belgium, while I managed pops, politics and research. Normal difficulty, automated stockpile, Laissez-Faire party, make sure there are at least some capitalists in every province. It didn't get me top-8 industry scores, but I hovered around 10th for most of the game.

One thing that would throw my economy into transition periodically was moving into or out of a GP's sphere. But that just meant I waited a few years for my capitalists to adjust to their new input costs. Maybe I was lucky because Steel was consistently profitable, and the inputs were domestic?

As for bankruptcies, as annoying as they are, nations seemed reluctant to go to war over them. Mostly due to interwoven alliances. Is it really a big issue if a GP periodically defaults if no one can hold them to it? : P

I've played two games so far, once as Peru and once as Hawaii. As Peru, I had no undue problems with the economy even though I didn't get to great powership until after 1900, and I was never above 12th or so in Prestige. As Hawaii, I parlayed high literacy into massive tech-rushing to become a great power through prestige and colonization (to get past the "no OPM GPs" restriction) and didn't really have any economic problems after that (except when I built about 100 dreadnoughts in 1933-36 to boost military score). Before I got a lot of prestige, my aristocrats had some problems buying their goods, but that was really it, even with a massive backwater like Hawaii*.

The only GPs I've seen go bankrupt have been involved in large-scale wars, this makes perfect sense to me. I'm sorry about your problems with the economy, but I just haven't seen them so far. Which country are you playing as?

*That's not fair, it was an epic game - like a German OPM with a whole ocean all its own.

Intervention is my favourite economic policy now, hands down. You can boost your capitalists manually during the early years, and during the late ones you can invest in puppet states, building the factories your capitalists won't build there. Sure you won't reap the profits, but if you -really- need something [tanks, for example] it can be a good idea.

Well, my problem is, that I play with really big profits, but in the 70s it always hits me big time. Everything's going down. I absolutely have no idea why.

Let's take canned food for a moment. It's in high demand. My soldiers need it and the world needs it too. I have a province where I get 3 out of 4 needed raw materials for this product. Why is this factory losing money? I'm Nr. 3 in Prestige, so I should get everything, I need, even if I didn't have it myself.

Fun facts:

Opening one single factory costs you money, opening all of them at once, doesn't cost you a single dime.

When I open closed factories, they get a ton of workers, make huge surpluses and after few days with nice surpluses, they go broke. It's a bit like premature ejaculation... :eek:o

What am I doing wrong? I never had such issues in Victoria... now with AHD everything is going down.

When I open closed factories, they get a ton of workers, make huge surpluses and after few days with nice surpluses, they go broke. It's a bit like premature ejaculation... :eek:o

What am I doing wrong? I never had such issues in Victoria... now with AHD everything is going down.

You're over-producing the goods. Check how much each factory is managing to sell [hover over the profit thing and it should say 'Sold X of Y good' or something to that effect] and if there's a lot of surplus don't bother upgrading that factory.

I hope that the RGO employment mechanics also get used on factories in the future... but that would involve changing capitalist AI towards when/what to to build/expand.

Got a save?

You're over-producing the goods. Check how much each factory is managing to sell [hover over the profit thing and it should say 'Sold X of Y good' or something to that effect] and if there's a lot of surplus don't bother upgrading that factory.

I hope that the RGO employment mechanics also get used on factories in the future... but that would involve changing capitalist AI towards when/what to to build/expand.

Well, I checked it. Some of my factories make a minus, but they are selling everything.

Seems, you got it right though... I "overproduce" some of my products. One thing I still don't understand: Why do I have about 80k craftsmen, but only 3 usefull factories? It just doesn't make much sense to have a ton of unemployed people, practically useless. I didn't promote them either...

Maybe, I need a better understanding and a "How to" Guide for the "new" economy.

Last edited: