• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aside from fixing the glaring economic balancing problems I'd rather have PI focus on fixing stuff that's still left over from old Victoria 2. While fixing the economy will prevent the Intervention CB spam, it won't fix the still ongoing Russian Wars for Northeast England. Non-core Demand State wars should not happen in Europe unless the attacker is fascist or communist. It just doesn't fit the period (this is not anything goes EU3). Mods have managed to make this a rarity, PI should be able to do this too. The second thing is fix the 1836 scenario. You're going to be rifling through the history files to fix the 1861 problems, so why not combine the two and make both scenarios a little better. What needs to be done:

-Remove EGY cores on the Levantine (and Crete), it conquered 6 years earlier to act as a buffer between the now autonomous Egypt and the Ottomans. It wasn't claimed nor were they core Egyptian lands.
-Give BRZ Marabitas. It only appeared on a few early 19th century maps as Colombian. There was no war or treaty that handed it to BRZ, so it was BRZ all along.
-Give BRZ Tarauca (aka Acre). There was no war over it and since you'll probably won't write an event for it, it's best to give it to BRZ.
-Remove the BRZ core on Iguatemi. It was taken during the War of the Triple Alliance as a spoil of war. It was never claimed by BRZ.
-Give PAR the state of Alto Paraguay. It had to fight two wars over it, of which one they lost. Can't do that if it isn't theirs.
-Remove CHL cores on Atacama. The War of the Pacific was a war of economic opprunity, to capture the rich Atacama region. They Chileans didn't have an historic claim nor was it core Chilean territory. The AI should be convinced to capture that rich region on their own.
-Remove the colonized bits of British Columbia and put an automatic NF (like you used on Washington and Oregon for USA) of ENG on it so the AI will colonize it. It'll allow the USA to have a shot at gaining a non-ugly Columbia.
-Make Coeur d'Alene in Idaho terra nullius, it was part of the Oregon Country and thus not part of the USA.
-Give Colorado and Oklahoma to the USA. They were only contested in name. Mexico claimed a small part of them but never sent more than a lost hunter to the region. American presence was much greater. Also allows the USA some NFs after colonizing the Oregon Country. Additionally the Trail of Tears happened in 1838. That's only possible if the US stops colonizing Oregon and sends troops to colonize faster. They wouldn't have sent entire tribes there if it wasn't part of the USA. Sure it was mostly unsettled but so was half of the Lousiana purchase at that time.
-Make the part of Mexico that is now American into colonies. They were colonies to the Mexicans and they were colonies/territories when the US took them after the Mexican-American War.
-Make the parts of Sokoto that are in Cameroon terra nullius. They never reached that far.
-Make Zomba part of the Kazembe region. Otherwise Portugal will always get half of Malawi, which was British.
-Improve the relations of POR with OMA. The Portuguese were in no position to fight a colonial war in the region, but the AI will always take Omani Tanzania and Kenya.
-Replace Hedjaz and the northern part of Yemen with the Ottoman Empire. Hedjaz didn't rise up till the fall of the Ottoman Empire after WWI.
-Kaf should be wholly Nejd.
-Tarfaya should be terra nullius. The Spanish had made a deal decades before 1836 that specified it didn't belong to Morocco.
-Redo the borders of the Central Asian khanates. My 1836 Improved mod has much more accurate borders (checked out 19th century maps for it).
-Give Nyda in Siberia to RUS. Prevents other countries from colonizing the middle of Siberia.

My main concerns. If a Dark or podcat would comment on if they are handled in 2.2 I would be happy pappy:D
1. Upper house support for movements being canceled by militancy.
2. Super high colonial migration leaving core states almost empty.
3. Claimed colonies containing 90% soldier pops.

1. Yes
2. Hopefully. Not seen core states almost empty, but I do think it's high.
3. Maybe.

Aside from fixing the glaring economic balancing problems I'd rather have PI focus on fixing stuff that's still left over from old Victoria 2. While fixing the economy will prevent the Intervention CB spam, it won't fix the still ongoing Russian Wars for Northeast England. Non-core Demand State wars should not happen in Europe unless the attacker is fascist or communist. It just doesn't fit the period (this is not anything goes EU3). Mods have managed to make this a rarity, PI should be able to do this too. The second thing is fix the 1836 scenario. You're going to be rifling through the history files to fix the 1861 problems, so why not combine the two and make both scenarios a little better.

What glaring economic balance issues? And why will that affect intervention wars? Did you mean Bankruptcy?

What glaring economic balance issues? And why will that affect intervention wars? Did you mean Bankruptcy?

I believe the "gunboat" CB causes a war with a name that includes "intervention"-- so that's probably what he means, yes.

The one thing I noticed was that there are two separate triggered events for a country defaulting on their debt, one for small amounts and one (presumably) for larger amounts-- yet both of them provide the Gunboat CB to the debtee nation. Maybe the CB should only be for the larger amount, and the smaller amount simply lower relations or something instead?

Because CaptRobau is right-- there does seem to be a LOT of debt-related wars.

I meant bankruptcy.

With glaring I meant that (AI) countries are going bankrupt far too often. I don't know what causes that but I assume it's multiple things so therefore issues.

Now that I have your attention Darkrenown, remember that suggestion I made a while back about including the source files that you used (that adds the scratches, sepia, grain, borders, etc. to things like decision and event pictures). You'd look into including something like that in one of the patches. Just reminding you ;)

Last edited:
Aside from fixing the glaring economic balancing problems I'd rather have PI focus on fixing stuff that's still left over from old Victoria 2. While fixing the economy will prevent the Intervention CB spam, it won't fix the still ongoing Russian Wars for Northeast England. Non-core Demand State wars should not happen in Europe unless the attacker is fascist or communist. It just doesn't fit the period (this is not anything goes EU3). Mods have managed to make this a rarity, PI should be able to do this too.

Seriously, this. Generally, AI is still irrational in pursuing "Demand" wargoals. This is supposed to be the age when nationalism means a lot, yet still there are situations when Germany for some reason wants Normandy and takes it.

And there's the thing that's riling me up from the first vanilla version: Prussia attacking Denmark for Schlezwig in January 1936. I agree that this thing has happened twice, so it should be possible, but Denmark's AI cannot cope with an attack so early. It usually happens before it has any alliances to speak of and no GP can even intervene in this case. As a result, Denmark is constantly being beaten into a bloody pulp. It wouldn't be so bad had Prussia it just took Schlezwig, but they usually add even more wargoals which they can afford, because everyone starts with no infamy.

I must admit, it's less bad in AHD than in vanilla. In my first game, they settled with Danish Ghana. In vanilla, they usually preferred to acquire Jylland instead. Still, this is a bit annoying.

-Remove the colonized bits of British Columbia and put an automatic NF (like you used on Washington and Oregon for USA) of ENG on it so the AI will colonize it. It'll allow the USA to have a shot at gaining a non-ugly Columbia.

Brits have a decision to give Columbia back for a good boost in relations with the USA. They will do it if their relations with the US are irrecoverably low, and they want them improve.

If I could make one suggestion for the patch, please release 2.2 fairly soon, to fix some of the big bugs (like the 256 countries thing, which is really holding up mod development), then keep working on 2.3 and make that the final patch.

TBH, I just hope the multiplayer will be fixed ( as soon as possible :D )

Aside I think bugfixes and maybe some little extra features like giving over your military to the AI <.< I really would like it if you could just tell us if it´s hard to do that, as HoI3 has a lot more automating features and they´re on the same engine and I really don´t think simple AI control is hard to implent, but a AI control like in HoI would be nice :D

Paradox all I want it more accurate and historical starting scenarios. Like CaptRobau said there is much to be fixed in 1836 and 1861. many mods have already done the work for you if it can be implemented into the core game it would be great.

The whole jingoist-pacifist thing is enough abstraction as it is. IMO either there´s reason for war or there isn´t, how militarist the ruling party is should affect more internal opinion than external. You could say that Germany previously to world war 2 was EXTREMELY jingoistic - does that mean they could declare lots of wars and still be loved by everyone? No, it only meant less internal opposition.

What I actually miss is a Create Core spy mission like EU III did. That would change many things in the game.

Jingoism doesn't even work internally, really. Yes, you get faster CB generation, but you still get bogged down during wars where you have to wait 6 months to add a wargoal because your support for jingoism is incredibly low even if your population overwhelmingly supports jingoist political parties.

Paradox all I want it more accurate and historical starting scenarios. Like CaptRobau said there is much to be fixed in 1836 and 1861. many mods have already done the work for you if it can be implemented into the core game it would be great.

Historical inaccuracies don't really sound all that important. Besides, if you can just download the mod, why waste the time you could spend on fixing bugs?

Historical inaccuracies don't really sound all that important. Besides, if you can just download the mod, why waste the time you could spend on fixing bugs?

With a mod you can reach a hundred people, but with a patch thousands. Besides most of these changes help make the game flow more historically/realistic. Many of these changes are not that different from asking the devs to help prevent the AI from always declaring war on Denmark on January 1, 1836.

I read in a DD and looked on screenshots that the population density mapmode shows density with respect to the countries, and not the World. Can you improve it in the patch?