• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gameofthrones

Sergeant
52 Badges
Aug 8, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
I'm looking for a good book that will tell me more about the Nomads of Asia, specifically the Golden Horde, and Timurids. I've been curious about them for sometime, but never curious enough to spend time reading about them. All I currently know about them is what everyone knows. The rise of Genghis Khan, conquests of China, Persia and of course Timurid Khan and the Tartar Nomads along with the downfall of the Empire. So there are vast gaps in my knowledge and I would be grateful for any recommendations you have.

I'm also looking for a book about Russian history, from Kiev Russia to Red October.

Again thanks in advance.

The Empire of the Steppes by René Grousset is a good place to start. Probably a bit dated (in material and perspective)but it covers a large area, geographically and chronologically. As such it wouldn't necessarily qualify as having a 'focus' on the Golden Horde and Timurids but worth reading if you have the time.

There was another book i read recently that argued there was more of a cultural and political 'unity' to 'nomadic' steppe culture than generally given credence by surrounding 'civilizations'. But the name escapes me at the moment and perhaps that's for the better, first find out the when and where of Avars and Tocharians before being assailed with arguments about interpreting their role in history.

Not quite stretching to Red October.... i would still recommend Medieval Russia 980-1584 by Janet Martin. It does a decent job of examining what the Rus' was and what happened during the period.

Thanks, René Grousset's, the Empire of the Steppes has been given good reviews and is highly reccomended, so I will be buying that, although it's rather pricey for a paperback at £25. I can sometimes buy 4 books for that price.

Thanks, René Grousset's, the Empire of the Steppes has been given good reviews and is highly reccomended, so I will be buying that, although it's rather pricey for a paperback at £25. I can sometimes buy 4 books for that price.

Try to pick it up off ebay.

The Empire of the Steppes by René Grousset is a good place to start. Probably a bit dated (in material and perspective)but it covers a large area, geographically and chronologically. As such it wouldn't necessarily qualify as having a 'focus' on the Golden Horde and Timurids but worth reading if you have the time.

Picked it up for free at a library about a year or so ago. (No idea why they would give that book away for free.) It's an incredibly interesting book that ironically spurred my interest in Chinese History. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Picked it up for free at a library about a year or so ago. (No idea why they would give that book away for free.) It's an incredibly interesting book that ironically spurred my interest in Chinese History. Highly recommended.
Libraries today work like businesses. If nobody reads it, get rid of it.