+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions For Recommended Reading

Suggestions For Recommended Reading

I'm looking for a good book that will tell me more about the Nomads of Asia, specifically the Golden Horde, and Timurids. I've been curious about them for sometime, but never curious enough to spend time reading about them. All I currently know about them is what everyone knows. The rise of Genghis Khan, conquests of China, Persia and of course Timurid Khan and the Tartar Nomads along with the downfall of the Empire. So there are vast gaps in my knowledge and I would be grateful for any recommendations you have.

I'm also looking for a book about Russian history, from Kiev Russia to Red October.

Again thanks in advance.

The Empire of the Steppes by René Grousset is a good place to start. Probably a bit dated (in material and perspective)but it covers a large area, geographically and chronologically. As such it wouldn't necessarily qualify as having a 'focus' on the Golden Horde and Timurids but worth reading if you have the time.

There was another book i read recently that argued there was more of a cultural and political 'unity' to 'nomadic' steppe culture than generally given credence by surrounding 'civilizations'. But the name escapes me at the moment and perhaps that's for the better, first find out the when and where of Avars and Tocharians before being assailed with arguments about interpreting their role in history.

Not quite stretching to Red October.... i would still recommend Medieval Russia 980-1584 by Janet Martin. It does a decent job of examining what the Rus' was and what happened during the period.

Thanks, René Grousset's, the Empire of the Steppes has been given good reviews and is highly reccomended, so I will be buying that, although it's rather pricey for a paperback at £25. I can sometimes buy 4 books for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by gameofthrones View Post
    Thanks, René Grousset's, the Empire of the Steppes has been given good reviews and is highly reccomended, so I will be buying that, although it's rather pricey for a paperback at £25. I can sometimes buy 4 books for that price.
    Try to pick it up off ebay.
    "A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn." - Warhammer
    "Your words are as empty as your future. I am the vanguard of your destruction, this exchange is over." - Sovereign

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tskb18 View Post
    The Empire of the Steppes by René Grousset is a good place to start. Probably a bit dated (in material and perspective)but it covers a large area, geographically and chronologically. As such it wouldn't necessarily qualify as having a 'focus' on the Golden Horde and Timurids but worth reading if you have the time.
    Picked it up for free at a library about a year or so ago. (No idea why they would give that book away for free.) It's an incredibly interesting book that ironically spurred my interest in Chinese History. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Cyrus_The_Great; 09-02-2012 at 04:20.
    "If it's true, it probably ain't simple, and if it's simple, it sure as hell ain't true" - my old physics professor

Hearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus_The_Great View Post
    Picked it up for free at a library about a year or so ago. (No idea why they would give that book away for free.) It's an incredibly interesting book that ironically spurred my interest in Chinese History. Highly recommended.
    Libraries today work like businesses. If nobody reads it, get rid of it.
    "Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant."
    - Albert Einstein

Dixi, et animam levavi.

Captain
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Rise of Prussia

This doesn't have the range you're looking for but this is a great book on Russia if you read it after one of the books mentioned above.

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

There are the UNESCO history of Central Asia that have a online downloadable version (not sure if it's the complete one or just an abridged version).

http://www.unesco.org/culture/asia/h...g/ouvrages.htm
    Terra Universalis II
    For EU IV
    Another kind of whole world mod
    Magna Terra
    For EU Rome VV
    The way to be Imperator of all the Old World
    Umbra Spherae
    For Crusader Kings II
    Expand your faith and realm into all the Old World

+ Reply to Thread