• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say that the manual for CK2 is the best yet. It's informative, well-written and has some wit, which is extremely nice in a 60-page manual. The Civilization ones were always 200 pages of extreme boredom.

You can't become a CK2 master without some sort of boredom.
EDIT: But, really, it's sure well written and clear. Maybe the depth will be addressed with the probable upcomming strategy guide.

I must say that I was disappointed by the manual. Compared to EU3 and HoI3 it's really lacking in content, it's simply way too short. I know it has 60 pages but I think the amount of actual content in the manual must be a 1/4 of what EU3 and HoI3 had. These two manuals had two main sections, one that goes over the interface elements and the other (more detailed one) that goes more in depth and explains the mechanics. It seems like the CK2 manual is mainly just about a tour of the interface.

I must say that I was disappointed by the manual. Compared to EU3 and HoI3 it's really lacking in content, it's simply way too short. I know it has 60 pages but I think the amount of actual content in the manual must be a 1/4 of what EU3 and HoI3 had. These two manuals had two main sections, one that goes over the interface elements and the other (more detailed one) that goes more in depth and explains the mechanics. It seems like the CK2 manual is mainly just about a tour of the interface.

But did those manuals have awkward jokes? I think not

Thanks, knowing paradox games it will be usefull to read, haha

My Thoughts

Personally, I'm happy to not have all the numbers in plain view. Why would you want them unless you want to learn how to exploit the systems in the game? The rulers we're playing didn't have a magic abacus that told them how to deal with their vassals, offspring, lieges, council members...etc. Learn by trial and error...stop worrying about the "gamey" parts as I've heard those exploits referred to here as before. Enjoy the bloody game!

Again, that's just me.

I have to agree with a prior poster, the manual was simply an explanation of the interface without really delving into the concepts or mechanics of the game. I also have to agree with the manual where it states, "Indeed, you could
even say that a user manual is redundant and useless when these great hints are built right…Hey! Wait a minute!". The manual could have been used to discuss the mechanics in depth instead of explaining the obvious. Paradox has become pretty good at designing UIs that are easy to understand, why spend 60 pages describing the UI? Usually Paradox manuals are what gets me excited to try a game. The CK 2 manual makes it less likely I am going to buy the game. Sorry to the manual author for my comments being so harsh, but whoever decided on the scope of the manual really dropped the ball.

So is this manual the official one then? I didn't see one on gamersgate where the game download is (the normal location for manuals, if there is one), so I wasn't sure...

I agree this manual is very weak. It really just explains the interface, nothing more.

Hopefully a strategy guide of some kind will follow. Until then I guess I'll follow some AARs...

I have some experience with manuals. The one this game deserves would amount to a book - daunting and tough to digest.

I suggest a series of focused strategy guides and related Q&A threads each covering some substantive area of in-game player activity and assuming basic famliariity with the general interface. They could grow and be updated independently. Some ideas :
"Chancellor's Handbook" diplomacy, building relations, handling alliances, claims, declarations of war, peace resolutions, rebellions etc.
"Spymastery" the spymaster's role, plots, asssassinations, monitoring characters and developments (including message management)
"Art of Warre" everything about raising troops and fighting with them, including the roles of buildings and technology
"Stewardship" including economics, development, and general running the country
"Successful Succession" covering types of marriage and effects, succession laws, etc.
"Laws of the Realms" covering the other laws and effects, voting, and especially sort out apparent conflicts of laws where a player may be in several de jure areas. This would include teaching how to figure out what successsion laws in multi-de jure area realms will apply.
"Dynasty Building" including how dynasties work, how to use the UI to manage dynasties, strategic marriage, child education etc.

Religion could probably be touched on in various places where relevant. So could managing vassals and their opinions, although wisdom on that could also be consolidated in one place.

I have some experience with manuals. The one this game deserves would amount to a book - daunting and tough to digest.

I suggest a series of focused strategy guides and related Q&A threads each covering some substantive area of in-game player activity and assuming basic famliariity with the general interface. They could grow and be updated independently. Some ideas :
"Chancellor's Handbook" diplomacy, building relations, handling alliances, claims, declarations of war, peace resolutions, rebellions etc.
"Spymastery" the spymaster's role, plots, asssassinations, monitoring characters and developments (including message management)
"Art of Warre" everything about raising troops and fighting with them, including the roles of buildings and technology
"Stewardship" including economics, development, and general running the country
"Successful Succession" covering types of marriage and effects, succession laws, etc.
"Laws of the Realms" covering the other laws and effects, voting, and especially sort out apparent conflicts of laws where a player may be in several de jure areas. This would include teaching how to figure out what successsion laws in multi-de jure area realms will apply.
"Dynasty Building" including how dynasties work, how to use the UI to manage dynasties, strategic marriage, child education etc.

Religion could probably be touched on in various places where relevant. So could managing vassals and their opinions, although wisdom on that could also be consolidated in one place.

A most excellent suggestion to say the least. :cool:

The problem with something like that is every balancing patch, every dlc, every expansion can greatly strengthen or diminish those strategies. Making the guides useless.

I personally don't want to be told strategies, just to understand all the mechanics so I can make my own strategies.

Mechanics can change too...

Personally, I'm happy to not have all the numbers in plain view. Why would you want them unless you want to learn how to exploit the systems in the game? The rulers we're playing didn't have a magic abacus that told them how to deal with their vassals, offspring, lieges, council members...etc. Learn by trial and error...stop worrying about the "gamey" parts as I've heard those exploits referred to here as before. Enjoy the bloody game!

Again, that's just me.
Uhh they had much much MUCH (infinitely) more information and control over the situation than we are given, whereas the "magic" part in this example comes to where the player has to make guesses as to how an action might effect an outcome.

That manual is a joke. It's mostly a repetition of the tutorials. I had to find out myself that I can invite foreign persons with a claim to my court, then press their claim against their liege.

The workings of titles and claims - the concept of it - should be in the manual, not the user interface.

I'd be thankful for any links to guides or some educated write ups because as much as I like the game, it frustrates me not to know how to handle certain situations or how to strengthen my realm properly.

Uhh they had much much MUCH (infinitely) more information and control over the situation than we are given, whereas the "magic" part in this example comes to where the player has to make guesses as to how an action might effect an outcome.

I would disagree with that. You really think they had easy to read and sortable spreadsheets of all the eligible bachelors/bachlorettes in the known world? Could they look at the exact tax return on each of their properties with a single click? Could they look at the opinion of their vassals about themselves? Could they see which of their vassals were ambitious?

The numbers that govern this computer game are an attempt to the recreate the randomness of life, events, and other strange changes in this strange world. Why do you want those exact numbers? So you can "win"? This game isn't about winning or losing...it's about role playing a character to further your family's role in world history. Again, that's just my humble opinion...but I would guess that the developers would give a similar answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.