• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xbudx

Second Lieutenant
31 Badges
Apr 24, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
ive tried it a couple times now and i dont c the point in it? nothing good ever comes from it... does any 1 ever change to it and good good??

It leads to better government types.

Feudal Monarchy -> Empire -> Noble Republic/Absolute Monarchy

It leads to better government types.

Feudal Monarchy -> Empire -> Noble Republic/Absolute Monarchy

ahhh so it is worth doing it then? or going a different route? i like being england / austria

Also, in the short term, you get a magistrate boost, and I think an infamy boost also. Later, you can use it as a stepping stone to Administrative Monarchy, which has better boosts.

Any country with 30+ provinces and a European monarchy type government can declare an Empire. It's a seperate concept from the HRE, so (as England, Austria, etc) it would be seperate from any particular strategy. For example, a united Spain (or Great Britain for that matter) will reach the criteria with about 5-8 overseas provinces/colonies.

but less manpower and army size yes? wont that b a bad thing when it comes to wars?

but less manpower and army size yes? wont that b a bad thing when it comes to wars?

Honestly, if you have enough provinces to become an empire, manpower usually does not matter in the slightest, Having an army 100% of your limit is usually an unnecesary strain on the finances. At least it is in most of my games (exceptions: previous OPM's which have a lot of uncored land. In this case it would not be a good idea to swich to empire ASAP indeed)

Honestly, if you have enough provinces to become an empire, manpower usually does not matter in the slightest, Having an army 100% of your limit is usually an unnecesary strain on the finances. At least it is in most of my games (exceptions: previous OPM's which have a lot of uncored land. In this case it would not be a good idea to swich to empire ASAP indeed)

I think in MP it is a big case. Also countries like france can have army over their limit, and do not have any financial problem. If your limit is 100k you should aim to have 100k. OFC as long as your finances can support it.

About the Holy War CB, you normally only get it on nations bordering you, but with Empire you don't need a border. This widens your opportunities for growth immensely.

The lack of limit to centralization, though a nice benefit, doesn't really help you until you actually get your centralization that high.

Giving up forcelimit for the morale bonus, though. That's the key in my view... I'd say taking the morale bonus is a good tradeoff because the forcelimit issue is fundamentally a finance problem, solvable in this game by so many ways, but there are limits to how high you can boost the early morale limit.

I believe you can go straight from feudal monarchy to absolute monarchy.

Or at least Administrative Monarchy, yes. But Empire, if you can meet its requirements, makes a decent step up from Feudal... and it's not technology based, so you can get it earlier than any of the others become available. Essentially, you end up working up your techs while under Empire instead of Feudal... but Empire is optional to this progression, yes. Nothing better is available until Administrative, which if I recall is govt tech 18?

Two answer the original question : Yes. I am playing as Denmark, and got empire by.. 1460, I think..And it was Splendid! Suddenly I could Centralize, and as I formed Scandinavia I got to central -3, and then with the militia decision got central -4. Excellent!

Going Empire was a Big Yes for me! :D Ohh, and more magistrates!

Question though: It seems that my legitimacy is cut in half when I become an Empire, and as a result my Infamy limit goes down and into the red.

Anyway to avoid this ?

Cat

Well... NO. But YES. No, you can't avoid lose of legitimacy, but YES, you can avoid the problems, if you will make your infamy down BEFORE, you change to empire OR, you can just change to empire when your legitimacy is equal to ZERO. If it is, you won't lose legitimacy...