• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OOC: Will the stats be updated and do we still have two treaty orders? I also think sugar should be added as a cash crop

IC:
320px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png

The United Republics of Colombia-Ecuador

We hope that the Americans stick to their word, only freeing the people and not simply enslaving them again. We shall also strongly protest should American troops land on Hispaniolan soil, infringing upon their sovereignty.

Last edited:
What about other powers with colonies in the Americas? Would they have to reform their colonial administrations?

No, they will have to form their armies and stand up against the ruthless imperialist warmongering, which must be kept in check, for the sake of the world. This infamous Monroe doctrine is nothing but a barbaric excuse to set the vandals on the warpath. Americans who up to a few years ago ago still had slavery all over their country, now take up the mantle against slavery in Cuba, which is in the process of being terminated, with slave trade already made illegal since 1820. And yet, slavery is clearly not their concern, as they did not make any offer that contemplated or even assured anyone that would end slavery in Cuba- Instead, they offered to buy Cuba for a ridiculous price, showing their aim, total annexation and exploitation of the Cuban people. We will defend them against tyranny, and we will prevail!

We will not stand down, and ask our allies and friends to stand up to the United States.

We offer the United States an opportunity to stand down their armed forces, before a state of war is declared between Spain and the United States. We will invite American observers to monitor the conditions of our colonies and the planned reforms. Refusal should be confirmation for all nations in the world that the United States are clearly uncivilized vandals, willing to take revenge for our recognition of the Confederate States of America, during the American Civil War. Warlord Lincoln is more concerned with war than with his people, who are tired of wars, and just wants to rebuild their country and economy.

OOC: Good job on confirming UK naval superiority for the next 50 years.

To address the concerns of the Dutch, the Germans and United Republics of Colombia and Ecuador - The situation in the Spanish colonies of the Caribbean is dire. War will only spread to the island of Hispaniola is the Spanish insist on invading the island, for they have already thrown off the shackles of Spanish rule. The territories of the various colonial powers will of course be respected, despite what the Spanish like to think. To my knowledge, the Dutch territory within the Americas is well administrated and stable. The same can not be said for the Spanish colonies. Rather than fix the problems within their own territory, the Spanish have launched themselves into war after war.

We Americans now take up the mantle against Slavery for it is the right thing to do. The Southern States are a clear indication that the abolition of the international slave trade has little causality with the disappearance of slavery as an institution.

I ask the Spanish, what were their reasons for attacking the French? Revenge for the actions of a lone and long-dead man. Are our actions here, to ensure the peace and stability of a region, not more noble?

OOC: Cheers man!

Again, Warlord Lincoln tries to cover up their expansionist lust with apparently noble excuses.

First, and foremost, Spain attacked France to safeguard our borders and prevent French expansionism, which has been shown to have nasty consequences for the Kingdom of Spain.

Then, he claims he wants to take up the mantle against slavery, yet ignores our commitment to end slavery. We have declared our intention to abolish slavery, which was an ongoing process, put on hold due to the actions of Mr. Lincoln. The actions of Mr. Lincoln forced us to postpone our development plans for our colonies, to ensure that freed slaves actually enjoy their legal rights, unlike in the United States, where they serve as fodder for the US army to squander for pointless causes, like they did during the American Civil War, and are kept in wage-slavery and denied many rights of the common citizens.

No, Mr Lincoln, we will not repeat your mistakes. We will abolish slavery properly. Let the world see the perfidy of the United States's government. And let the world see how even the mighty can fall, when fighting for an unjust cause! People of Spain, to arms against the Yankee invaders! Volunteer to defend Cuba from Yankee exploitation! You've seen what the US Army does to occupied lands, for example, in Georgia, so we must not allow that to happen to Cuba!

The Cubans are not our enemies, that is clear. Why the Spanish believe that we would destroy their land, when we aim to ensure peace, is again beyond me, and must merely be a lie of the Spanish.

Furthermore, I am again surprised at the level of expertise the Spanish crown has of the United States of America. Not only are they well taught in it's Constitution, they also know the living quality of it's citizens! I ask the Spanish, are the Cubans and Puerto Ricans, and any other people in the Spanish colonies, citizens of Spain? Or is this talk merely empty rhetoric? The freedmen of the USA have the same rights as every man born free. I would have thought the Spanish would know this, as they are so well versed in our Constitution.

The blacks on the Union side fought for a cause they believed in. They were not forced into war any more than whites. My patience with the Spanish lies is drawing thin.

The actions or Mr. Lincoln's government have indeed shown either ignorance or disrespect for the US constitution, as the American Civil War proves.

Mr. Lincoln, to grant rights, it is not enough to write them on a piece of paper. The government should not isolate himself in the imaginary country of laws and regulations, it must guarantee that those actually exist in practice. In Spain, we have been undertaking important reforms aimed at improving the lives and rights of the people in Spanish colonies. Even now, while we talk, Spanish officials are undertaking a reform in Philippines, improving schools and granting employment to everyone.

The peoples of Cuba, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, Philippines, and other colonies are indeed citizens of Spain. They elect their representatives to the government of Spain, and they have the right to a local administration, thus your criticisms of colonialism are not grounded in reality.

Ah yes, I would indeed enjoy a meeting with whoever it is in your court that is such an expert. If the Spanish were actually literate in our language, they may know that the our constitution, which they so insulting call a mere 'piece of paper', demands that the rights of every American citizen are defended. Our constitution is certainly more real than the honour of the Spanish.

Clearly the pace of reforms has been so outstanding and successful that the Dominicans felt things were improving too fast. Why else would they have rebelled against the Spanish government? Why else would banditry be rife in Cuba? Why are political parties banned? Where does the wealth of Cuba go if not to the Spanish minority and their military that props up a corrupt administration, rather than the people that work the land?

Ah yes, I would indeed enjoy a meeting with whoever it is in your court that is such an expert. If the Spanish were actually literate in our language, they may know that the our constitution, which they so insulting call a mere 'piece of paper', demands that the rights of every American citizen are defended. Our constitution is certainly more real than the honour of the Spanish.

Clearly the pace of reforms has been so outstanding and successful that the Dominicans felt things were improving too fast. Why else would they have rebelled against the Spanish government? Why else would banditry be rife in Cuba? Why are political parties banned? Where does the wealth of Cuba go if not to the Spanish minority and their military that props up a corrupt administration, rather than the people that work the land?

The wealth in Cuba is split between the Spanish State, which then invests money into the development of all regions, and the local administration, which assures that the region can develop itself properly, according to their own wishes.

I refer you to the latest "Reforma de la Administración", for particulars.

The United States Presidential Election of 1864

Coming of the War of Confederate Independence, the United States of America, and President Abraham Lincoln soon faced themselves with a crisis on their hands. With the capture of Washington, D.C. and Maryland by the Confederate States of America, President Lincoln met with his Cabinet in the crowed Philadelphia town hall to try and form a new plan for a National Capital, as it was still legally Washington, D.C.

President Lincoln's "Reconstruction Plan" called for several changes in the United States. First, it called for the creation of new states in the West, which were populated by former Free Soilers, who would be natural Republican allies, as well as the creation of a new Capital in Philadelphia, with a grand new White House and a new Congress Building, to be placed in the centre of the city.

486px-Abraham_Lincoln_November_1863.jpg

1. Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America.

The Copperhead Majority, feeling that they had the President on their side, took a lurch towards Corruption, and took such a pro-Confederacy stance that some Congressmen were accused of holding seats in the United States and the Confederate States Congress. However, President Lincoln, dependent on the support of the Copperheads, gave them permission to use the national finances as they pleased, where corruption ran rampant. It had become so widespread, that the United States Government, with tax payer dollars, funded the Construction of a brand new Railway running from Richmond, Virginia to Tallahassee, Florida. The entire operation was done under the guise of some law passed in the 1830s. Naturally, the American people were getting angry at the Copperheads, but President Lincoln sat idly by, allowing all of this to happen. [-300 Gold from the United States. +1 Infrastructure to the Confederate States in 2 turns.]

As the election drew nearer, President Lincoln began to develop a more Anti-Copperhead stance, upon giving a speech welcoming the States of Washington and Dakota into the Union. Seeing this is too little, too late, the Democratic Party met in New York, New York for their national convention. They renamed themselves the Federal Party, to try and rid themselves of any connotation to the former Democratic Party, which supported Slavery and the South, generally. They nominated New York Governor Horatio Seymour to compete against the Copperhead Candidate Congressmen Clement Valladigham, and the Republican President, Abraham Lincoln.

384px-Clement_Vallandigham_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

2. Clement Vallandigham, the Copperhead Candidate for President of the United States.

The Copperheads, by this time, had lost a clear amount of the power they previously held. They lost the confidence of the people, and had begun to focus solely on improving the Confederate States and the remaining Southern States in the Union. Although not every Copperhead supported the Confederacy, the Party Leaders did, and this shifted the entire party towards aiding the Confederacy. A popular saying at the time was "The Confederate States runs from Dallas to Philadelphia".

President Lincoln, unfortunately, was also stained by the Copperheads. In order to secure his votes needed for his Reconstruction Plan, he was forced to abide be their rules. The citizens turned towards their only alternative, the Federal Party, with a wise leader, who was bent on making sure that the Confederacy did not control the national Government, and that the two countries were kept separate in every way. Governor Seymour recognized the legitimacy of the Confederacy, but stated as President, he would not be siphoning funds to the developing country and would do his best to oppose it at times when it needed. He also took a page from Lincoln's book and held the line on the Spanish intervention in the Caribbean, saying he will throw the all might of the United States into defending the Monroe Doctrine.

As the results came in, it was clear what had happened. The Copperheads were firmly a party of Missouri, Kentucky, and Delaware, as that was the only states they won, and even received about 10% of the vote. This game the Copperheads a total of 25 electoral votes, far short of the amount needed. President Lincoln, although buoyed by the Western states, received only 83 electoral votes. The Federal Party swept the Northeast and parts of the West, leaving them with 123 electoral votes, giving them a clear majority, and giving the election to Governor Horatio Seymour.

election1864.png

3. Results of the Presidential Election of 1864.

In the Congressional Races, the results were similar. Only the Southern States sent any Copperheads to Congress, as the majority was split up between the Republicans and the Federals. The final make up of the United States Congress after the election yielded 17 Copperheads, 78 Republicans, and 81 Federals. This left the Federals just 7 votes short of the majority needed to claim control of Congress. President-elect Seymour asked the country to gather around him, and for some Republicans to cross the aisle to support the Federal Party in the some areas, in the sake of running the country.

Horatio_Seymour_-_Brady-Handysmall.png

4. Horatio Seymour, President-elect of the United Sates of America.

Although Seymour wasn't going to take office until March of 1865, President Lincoln, in his best graces, allowed Seymour into the White House to brief him upon the situation with Spain. For the first time in History, these two developed such a partnership that upon naming his cabinet, the normally Pro-Federal Seymour announced that President Abraham Lincoln would be joining the White House once again as the Secretary of State. From the time Seymour was elected through his entire term, these two would work so closely together that it became known as the "Dual Presidency" and many of Lincoln's plans were still in play, as the Federals and the Republicans soon found that they could indeed work together in the Congress. The Senate, elected by members of the various State Legislatures, was in control of the Republicans, but just barely, as they squeezed out 26 seats, compared to the Copperheads 6 seats, and the Federal Party's 20 seats.

paraguay_flag_1.gif

Paraguay welcomes the new president of the United States, Horatio Seymour. We implore him that the people of the United States has seen enough war for a decade, and that a conflict with Spain will bring no victor to any side. It is time to sit down and talk, not to stand up with the rifle and yell. We know Spain better than anyone, and we know that will not stand down for nothing, believe our words when we say that, even if you get victory, it will be a pyrrhic one.

The Empire of Japan congratulates our American allies in another peaceful transition of power between President's. We hope our relationship will be just as strong with the new President.

FYI, Lincoln is still President until after the next update.

OOC: I'm drunk amongst other things so don't expect an IC till tomorrow.

Am I still Lincoln till next update?

Americans! First and foremost, I am glad this is a peaceful election. There are no longer any spoilt brats in this nation, who when faced with an electoral defeat march to war; I applaud our unity.

I heartily accept the victory of Horatio Seymour, and I wish him the best with his term in office. I ask my fellow Republicans to support national unity in these times of struggle, and stand behind our new President-elect.

While there is too little time for me personally to act against the corruption of the Copperheads, I have given Seymour my full support in whatever actions he chooses to take.

I also convey the thanks of Seymour to the Japanese and the Paraguayans for their congratulations.

Last edited: