+ Reply to Thread
Page 289 of 316 FirstFirst ... 189 214 239 264 279 287 288 289 290 291 299 314 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,780 of 6317

Thread: [Forum Game] - World in Revolution: 1861

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by reis91 View Post
    OOC: But IRC is OOC chat... we need more IC
    OOC: Everyone has already posted IC about what happened in the update. Why don't you come on the IRC Reis?
    ~His Excellency, William Hughes, Prime Minister of Australia in Frymonmon's World in Revolution 1920 Mk II

"Stop fighting wars you stupid cunts"
    -Shynka, Peace Activist, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by reis91 View Post
    OOC: But IRC is OOC chat... we need more IC
    OOC: Then why don't you comment on the things you listed in IC?
    Last edited by Muskeato; 19-04-2012 at 14:16.

Europa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeato View Post
    OOC: Then why don't you comment on the things you listed in IC?
    I did, for some of them, but it's not so much fun when my IC posts make up nearly half the thread (OOC posts aside) since the update...

The Kingdom of Spain, noting that the War of the Quadruple Alliance was fueled, in part, by a naval arms race, is seeking to build up international consensus to the development of a Naval Treaty, to preserve peace and prosperity in the world.
    Come and hunt your fellow Paradoxians in the Werewolf Forum

What this means is that no one technically voted on the first day and we have all been auto-lynched. Since none of us were following ghost rules from that point forward, we are all banned from werewolf for life. - Cymsdale

The Reich is intrigued by this naval treaty, we request that the Spaniards elaborate upon their designs for an international naval treaty.

While the USA appreciates such efforts as proposed by the Spaniards, who would enforce such a treaty? How would a nation be prevented from simply ignoring the provisions? Would the other signatories be expected declare war over such an issue?

Europa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi500k club

The treaty would seeks to establish an international standard nomenclature for types of ship, as well as imposing restrictions on the construction of warships.

Our preliminary thoughts on the matter are that navies are essential to safeguard sea lanes and ensure freedom of trade, as well as ensuring territorial waters are respected, and thus the limitations would have to take into account the number of overseas possessions and the extension of territorial waters. Another important factor, for the preservation of peace in the world, is a limitation of naval construction relative to that of the other naval powers, to ensure there is a balance of power in the seas, as it is essential to ensure the upholding of this treaty.

OOC: Spaniard isn't a proper term for a formal diplomatic message, I'm afraid. It would be akin to referencing the Yanks, Brits, Ruskies...

What this means is that no one technically voted on the first day and we have all been auto-lynched. Since none of us were following ghost rules from that point forward, we are all banned from werewolf for life. - Cymsdale

Better than Royalty (ABB) DoomBunny's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    East India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2
    Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

His Majesty's Government outright refuses, and shall always do so, to sign any document which limits the ability, composition or size of the Royal Navy.
    "Petrarch was right" - Petrarch||||"Petrarch is actually right" - LYNCHY||||"Petrarch was banned" - Robotic Maniac

"Tiger powder-induced eastern shenanigans" - Finnish Lord||||"I really enjoyed the Gulag" - Blade!||||"So sexy" - Franconian on violent insanity||||"The soft-pr0n ... I like it for the atmosphere it creates and the sheer spectacle of the thing" - Tufto||||"Swans are as dangerous as wolves. Got it." - Some fat racist German bloke in cheekless leiderhosen panties||||"I pooped myself. And then I did it again." - Yakman||||"Glory to the Confederate clan!" - Robotic Maniac

"I have hot cousins"||||"I once jokingly *CENSORED FOR FORUM* all my friends in the PE changing room"||||"I would lick GAZPROM drilled oil off of his shiny nipples" - Shynka, on incest, sport, and Vladimir Putin

<Doom> Sent Shynka some pics of my ass.||||<mathrim-afk> Looks great

GM/Brutal Werewolf Leader Demi Moderator jacob-Lundgren's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

The idea of naval limitations is not of itself considered evil to France but we are loath to support restrictions upon others that would burden their nation as ours as been and would limit their ability to defend their scattered citizens if such a nation was grand in size.
    A person of swedish descent who doesnt speak swedish. Number of PMs in swedish to date I couldn't understand 15
    altering your sig so you hope you wont get anymore confusing PMs
    Priceless

*Will update fully when I come up with something good to stick in here*

200k clubEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLegio
    The Kings Crusade500k club

The Portuguese Government is against the Naval Treaty.

Werewolf Amateur and Diplomacy Beginner .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My AARs at ink well.

Ruler of Somewhere else Thandros's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of PrussiaEuropa Universalis IV

In a Secret Underground Bunker 50km beneath the Earth's surface
    The Sultan of Morocco is not for or against this Naval Treaty. Lacking a navy for it to apply to it's irrelevant to Morocco.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3

While Mexico sympathises with the idea of preserving the peace, protecting commercial interests etc, we foresee a number of problems for this suggested treaty.

I. Control; which organ would actively check if the treaty is effectively abided? No self-respecting state will allow its sovereignty to be violated by another. It would have to be a new organ or entity with competences previously agreed upon by all signatories. We have little faith that such an organ will effectively be called into being.

II. Sanctions & enforcement; An agreement without safeguards is meaningless. All signatories would have to agree on an independant unbiased authority, on enforcement and conditions to determine proper sanctioning. Additionally if a signatory is considered to have broken the terms of the agreement, there should be the possibility to appeal said judgement. Apart from a controling authority an additional court is required to appeal judgement. We again have little faith that either would be developed up to the extent that we would be willing to hand over a part of our right to rule ourselves.

However we will not block this suggestion a priori. If Spain can develop such a system and suggest it to the international community we will approach the matter with an open mind and judge it for its merrit.

Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me..
    There lie they, and here lie we..
    Under the spreading chestnut tree..

For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k club

The United Kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Finland find such a treaty impinging upon the sovereignty of nations to be odd and out of place.

OOC: Guys the Washington Naval Treaties weren't signed for more than 60 years and nations giving up sovereignty in such a way at this time is hilarious. Fry will likely slap the lot of you with a wet noodle.
    GM of Keldoniaskylar's the Rise of a Super Power

Better than Royalty (ABB) DoomBunny's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    East India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2
    Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

OOC: Ok guys, due to a small mistake on my part (Didn't read Fry's post properly) I owe you a mini-update.

If the Japanese and Manchu players want to send their war orders relevant to Korea into me now, I would like to finish off Korea.
    "Petrarch was right" - Petrarch||||"Petrarch is actually right" - LYNCHY||||"Petrarch was banned" - Robotic Maniac

"Tiger powder-induced eastern shenanigans" - Finnish Lord||||"I really enjoyed the Gulag" - Blade!||||"So sexy" - Franconian on violent insanity||||"The soft-pr0n ... I like it for the atmosphere it creates and the sheer spectacle of the thing" - Tufto||||"Swans are as dangerous as wolves. Got it." - Some fat racist German bloke in cheekless leiderhosen panties||||"I pooped myself. And then I did it again." - Yakman||||"Glory to the Confederate clan!" - Robotic Maniac

"I have hot cousins"||||"I once jokingly *CENSORED FOR FORUM* all my friends in the PE changing room"||||"I would lick GAZPROM drilled oil off of his shiny nipples" - Shynka, on incest, sport, and Vladimir Putin

<Doom> Sent Shynka some pics of my ass.||||<mathrim-afk> Looks great

Quote Originally Posted by General di tuti View Post
    While Mexico sympathises with the idea of preserving the peace, protecting commercial interests etc, we foresee a number of problems for this suggested treaty.

I. Control; which organ would actively check if the treaty is effectively abided? No self-respecting state will allow its sovereignty to be violated by another. It would have to be a new organ or entity with competences previously agreed upon by all signatories. We have little faith that such an organ will effectively be called into being.

II. Sanctions & enforcement; An agreement without safeguards is meaningless. All signatories would have to agree on an independant unbiased authority, on enforcement and conditions to determine proper sanctioning. Additionally if a signatory is considered to have broken the terms of the agreement, there should be the possibility to appeal said judgement. Apart from a controling authority an additional court is required to appeal judgement. We again have little faith that either would be developed up to the extent that we would be willing to hand over a part of our right to rule ourselves.

However we will not block this suggestion a priori. If Spain can develop such a system and suggest it to the international community we will approach the matter with an open mind and judge it for its merrit.
    The successful application of such measures would be achieved through game theory, as well as through the possibility of economic sanctions, essentially making infringement very costly for any given country.

We would appreciate further input from all nations, but applaud the constructive attitude displayed by some countries who show their commitment to preserve peace.

OOC: Doing something like the SDN to enforce it would be a possibility, but it seems a little "off" in this period, even if there were events such as the Congress of Vienna... so I would instead opt for a balance of power enforced by the top naval powers, to prevent anyone from getting too fat, in naval terms.
    I was willing to give UK larger limits on tonnage and number of vessels, due to their extensive territorial waters and overseas shipping lanes, but I guess a bit of stick would be needed, since sugar doesn't work.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

The Republic of Italy will not sign a treaty that infringes on our national sovereignty
    We shall not capitulate... no never. We may be destroyed, but if we are, we shall drag a world with us... a world in flames. ~ Adolf Hitler

Ottoman Empire

While we don't see anything wrong with Spanish proposal we currently don't seee any need for such a treaty.

Spanish Monarch speaks about preserving peace. We would like to know how such treaty would achieve that ? Strong army and navy always have been and always will act as strong deterrant and will ensure peace better than any piece of paper.

Freezing naval buildup will only benefit states with less capacity to maintain large and modern fleet. In this retrospect state is like a living thing. If it is unable to protect it's citizens, or it's colonies it can't fullfill it's task and need to shorten it's defensive perimeter or even cease exist forever. Likewise with naval limits set by peace treaties.

Signed, Sultan Abdülmecid.

Even though the Republic of Poland has neither sea access or navy we still find the idea of such treaty to be an infrigment of national sovrereignty unheard of in modern ages.
    "Let's be free, the rest doesn't matters"

The Great Kingdom of South Africa at Imperium Offtopicum Paradox -- Republic of Poland at World in Revolution 1861 -- Republic of Argentina at World in Revolution 1900
    Events GM in World in Revolution 1836

Fan of the Week: July 17th, 2011

For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k club

The United Kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Finland are confused by the Spainish suggestions and furthermore is curious as to why any nation would voluntarily yield sovereignty to such a comission. Additionally, we find it odd that what is perhaps the most bellicose nation in the world is the one proposing such a "treaty of peace," or is it merely a tool for the Spanish nation to maintain its current position at the expense of others.

OOC: Game Theory was first derived by Nash in the 1940s...
    GM of Keldoniaskylar's the Rise of a Super Power

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

The F.N.C.A. shall refrain from commenting on this "proposal" by the Spanish before anything has even been worked out. However, we are against infringing on the sovereignty of independent nations, and are therefore highly loath to support anything which might do so.
    "No matter how alone you feel, Dyranum is always there to point out how utterly terrible you are at spelling." —Shynka

Lanterfanter den Tweede Slak (primary), and Juriste Aléatoire (secondary) in Edge of Europe. Formerly Suive Opiniâtrement les Régles (retired), Officer Gun Gun (deceased), Deputy Lambin l'Escargot (deceased), Méfiezvous du Calembour (deceased), and Deputy Houdt van Kaas Hakkihäälinen (retired).
    Creator and GM of: Dark Horizons, Dark Horizons 2.0, Pure Madness, The Countries of an Alternate World, Twenty Thousand Leagues Over the Sea, Pure Madness 2: We couldn't decide on a subtitle
    Co-Creator and GM of: Kingdoms and Khanates
    Nations played in Nation Games: Guatemala/FNCA (WiR1861), Serbia (WiR1900), France (WiR1900), Terran Ascendancy(DH2), Commune of France(Kaiserreich), Basileia Rhomaion (KaK), DPRK (WiR2020), RSFSR and associates (BoP1920:TTY), Harad (LotR), Armenia (DDD), DPRK (PM2), Romania/Rhomânia! (WiR1901), DPRK (WiR2020 Mk.II)

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

The Republic of Italy kindly asks Spain to stay out of our national affairs. You are causing enough trouble in South America, leave the rest of the world alone.
    Last edited by Shock3r; 19-04-2012 at 18:56.
    We shall not capitulate... no never. We may be destroyed, but if we are, we shall drag a world with us... a world in flames. ~ Adolf Hitler

+ Reply to Thread