• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I assure the Spanish government that the only American Citizens to have visited the island of Hispaniola on matters of state arrived in Haiti to formalise our new relations, not in the Dominican lands. The USA prefers diplomatic solutions to these issues, however, now an uprising has occurred the will of the people is clear and the Spanish should respect this rather than cause more bloodshed.

The Spanish view of our naval manoeuvres is unfortunate, and I hope that their position is changed to a more enlightened one soon.

OOC: Curiouser and curiouser. I typed an IC response (not the one above but basically the same) in the end and it disappeared.

Also, I never said I supported the annexation of Haiti by the Dominicans. To be fair, Americans gun have spread across the globe without me lifting a finger.

Last edited:
OOC: It's official policy to denounce independence movements as foreign-backed traitor scum, in Spain :)

But yes, they might have gotten some American support, in the form of weapons and supplies, even if not a direct result of your orders. The whole 13 leaders stuff rebelling against the crown also reminds me of something...

I note however, that the threatened deployment of ships to safeguard Hispaniolan independence could be seen as if the whole thing was planned out beforehand. You shouldn't really do that, and especially not after you recognized Haiti.

Edit : I would also be happy to have a reply on the message I sent you, among others.

I assure the Spanish government that the only American Citizens to have visited the island of Hispaniola on matters of state arrived in Haiti to formalise our new relations, not in the Dominican lands. The USA prefers diplomatic solutions to these issues, however, now an uprising has occurred the will of the people is clear and the Spanish should respect this rather than cause more bloodshed.

The Spanish view of our naval manoeuvres is unfortunate, and I hope that their position is changed to a more enlightened one soon.

OOC: Curiouser and curiouser. I typed an IC response (not the one above but basically the same) in the end and it disappeared.

Also, I never said I supported the annexation of Haiti by the Dominicans. To be fair, Americans gun have spread across the globe without me lifting a finger.

OOC: You didn't condemn it, and you are supporting those that intend to carry out such annexation, therefore we can only reasonably conclude that your actions are in support of such goal. Should you change your view, and act accordingly, however...

As for the guns, well, you not lifting a finger is kinda... if I was an US senator, I'd be bloody worried about American arms being transacted without any benefits for the US, and would do everything I could to stop it...

IC:

The United States speak of how they prefer diplomatic solutions, and yet they choose to support those who chose the force of arms over dialog. We are holding a reasonable position, instead of rushing headlong to perpetrate an island massacre as it happened in Hawaii. We accept the natives's right to be heard, and their demands for better government are legitimate. We have taken actions in that direction. However, as you put it, we too favor diplomatic solutions, rather than resorting to such brutal means which will do nothing to improve their situation. This is why we cannot be tolerant of those behind the coup. To tolerate this would be to welcome all kinds of barbaric behavior, and this world already has enough barbarism, despite our best efforts to develop civilization.

Thus, we request that the nations who have recklessly recognized the barbaric regime of Hispaniola as a legal government, without being in possession of all the facts, remove their recognition of barbarism and condemn the brutal action of the Hispaniolan rebels, so that the world sees that you respect international law and that you are committed to upholding civilization.

It is unfortunate that the Spaniards did not respect their own interpretation of international law 3 years ago.

Landing Spanish troops on the island would clearly by met with force by the Dominicans, regardless of the wishes of the Spanish to avoid such an encounter. Our intentions are therefore to avoid such a bloodbath.

OOC: Your OOC sounds dangerously IC ;)

The Spanish government is confused by the latest statement from the United States of America, and wishes to know what events are being referred to in the statement.

We would remind the United States government that it does not speak for the people of Hispaniola. The Spanish government is committed to avoiding a bloodbath, and we believe that the people of Hispaniola will do the right thing, as they are civilized enough to recognize that barbarity is not a viable solution.

Edit : Biased update is biased...

OOC: You're seriously suggesting that Versailles, the war against France and The Catalan rebellion weren't humiliating? ;)

As for arms, it's the US. Like Britain and this time period, if our merchants want to sell, they sell, none of our business to stop them.

320px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png

The United Republics of Colombia-Ecuador

The United Republics shall provide the Republic of Hispanolia with supplies and weapons.

Furthermore, Hispanolias war against Haiti is simply revenge for the numerous times Haiti has invaded and occupied their land. And after all, didn't Spain declare war on France for revenge?

OOC: Formally, no, we cited concern at aggressive "Napoleonic" expansionism of France. OOCly, yes, it was payback for Napoleon. And no, we did not get humiliated, we held our own against France and got a peace deal better than what you proposed. Plus, we became more friendly with France's leadership.

IC: If every country on Earth decided that they want to annex all those that have invaded and occupied their land, the world would be plunged into a state of constant warfare which would bring about the destruction of civilization. We believe differently.

Haiti is a sovereign nation, recognized internationally. Their rights must be upheld, to defend otherwise, while championing the cause of the dictators in Hispaniola is a pointless exercise in hypocrisy.

320px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png

The United Republics of Colombia-Ecuador

Haiti is nothing but a bunch of warmongers. The only reason Hispaniola sought to join with Spain was for protection from them. Haiti deserves everything they get.

And Hispaniola is a republic, which is more than can be said for you. I'm actually surprised your aren't a republic after your last display.

OOC: To clarify, Hispanolia isn't at war with Haiti. The Government wants to unify the island, either militarily or diplomatically, and absorb Haiti (As in annex them as a part of Hispanolia). They aren't stupid however, and wont try and such while fighting for their freedom.

Any you did get humiliated in the war. You screwed up horrendously, then got screwed by your allies, then barely held your own once we peaced out, being dealt a large blow on the sea, and barely making any progress on land. Enough OOC anyway, we have an IRC for that.

The occupation of the Dominican lands by Haiti is regrettable, but that was many years ago now. It was one invasion, followed later by a war of independence by the Dominicans. Since that time the Haitians have kept to themselves. Calling them warmongers is like calling a bear a horse.

Furthermore, the USN shall not let Columbian arms reach the island any more than it will Spanish soldiers. Our aim is to ensure that more blood is not shed between the Dominicans and the Spanish, or indeed the Dominicans and the Haitians. Non-military supplies will of course be allowed to come and go as usual after due inspection by the USN.

OOC: I refuse to call the Dominicans 'Hispaniolans'. It just sounds way too silly.

Last edited:
OOC: It's only an issue when it comes up in updates, without even being IC'ly said by anyone not too fond of Spain. And according to latest ratings, Spain is 10th power in the world, even after all those supposed disasters.

Spain's form of government is far more advanced than this so-called Republic, which is nothing but a presidential dictatorship, with phony elections and an all-powerful Presidente who took power by force of arms.

Our system grants far more representation for the people. The latest administrative reforms have ensured that there are elected representatives from each region of the Spanish Nation, including oversea territories, to defend the interests of everyone, and ensure a most wise and efficient rule, which has made Spain a great country.

Edit (OOC) : I agree, but I think I should refer to them as such IC'ly, just so that it cannot be pointed out that I recognize their right to independence.

OOC: I'll ensure the Dominicans get "supplies" :p

OOC: They need soldiers, not supplies. They should have more than enough supplies with the stuff they captured. Just because they succeeded on a treacherous attack against a small garrison, doesn't mean they have the troops to defend the island. And I got all these soldiers sitting around doing nothing...

OOC: Here is received offers for Guinea Bissau.

Ottoman government: 100 gold bullions.
German government: 75 gold bullions.

The deal will be finalized if there is no other offer in the next 24 hours.

The Reich offers 110 gold bullions.

OOC: You mean the ones I have helped since 1861? Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay...

OOC: No I mean the one's that dislike you. I.e all of the ones whom aren't fighting with you.

OOC: "The wrath of the Armada". You make it sound like your fleet's huge.