• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It would affect my allies too, like Paraguay. But yes, Brazil's army level is indeed a bit ridiculous... I could understand it in a small, handpicked elite army of 20.000, but in a levied force of 120.000?

OOC : Would affect me more than any of your allies.
And remember that i improved it during peacetime, the "basic training" my conscripts receive is better than what the paraguayan conscripts receive, for instance, now Paraguay is improving his army level during a war when his troops are on the front, are they training on the frontlines? ;) At least my conscripts when recruited are already trained on teh conscriptions centers/barracks/whatever.
That's why my army is better disciplined in theory, it has better training and such.

Or maybe like, the USA on WWII had a horrible army because they conscripted a lot of people, despite their training not being that bad.

It would affect my allies too, like Paraguay. But yes, Brazil's army level is indeed a bit ridiculous... I could understand it in a small, handpicked elite army of 20.000, but in a levied force of 120.000?

OOC: 1. Germany has level 11 and over 500,000 troops. Compare to Brazil's level 9 and ~140,000

2. Brazil did and still has one of the world's largest populations :p

OOC : Remember that my army level comes mostly from training and discipline, but if Paraguay and Argentina can improve their army levels like this, you should not be suprised if i import weapons and go to army level 10 or even higher.

My guess is that my army discipline and training is on par with the german, but not the equipment and weapons.
Besides, the update stated that they were not very well-equipped, better than the enemy conscripts? definetly, but not as good as say, the paraguayan regulars

Don't complain, i started with a sucky navy when if i had the Brazilian OTL navy your one would much probably be at the bottom of the sea right now, all because both i overlooked a single link until it was too late.

Last edited:
My guess is that my army discipline and training is on par with the german, but not the equipment and weapons.

A vastly successful draft is undertaken in Brazil, with the government announcing people are flocking to the recruitment centers, eager to serve their country. These "Fatherland Volunteers" are poorly trained, but very numerous. [+110,000 Conscripts to Brazil.]

Not well equipped, nor well trained then, huh?

OOC : It is kinda obvious that they are poorly trained, they are conscripts.
I think reis is thinking that conscripts and regulars are the same thing, they aren't.
Regulars are much better than conscripts.

ofc they aren't well trained, they are conscripts, not regulars, but they are better trained than your conscripts for sure

Last edited:
My fellow countrymen! I stand with you today, opening the International Science and Engineering exposition, to witness how Spain is today a truly strong and advanced nation. I am so proud of being Queen of such a wonderful nation, whose people's will and power would make our ancestors proud. Viva España!

The world has changed since the so-called industrial revolution, and, just as we did, when the world was changed by the age of discovery, we once again encounter ourselves dealing with change and harnessing it to show the world the true greatness of Spain. And that is only possible because we, Spanish, united, have both the will and the power to face adversity and come out triumphant!

We are currently involved in a war, to protect our hermanos in South America, from Brazilian dreams of conquering South America. I would like to honor the Spanish who lost their lives ever since the unprovoked aggression of Brazil on the Spanish Armada, and I am sure they are proud of what the Spanish Navy has accomplished in this conflict. I will therefore institute the "Dia Nacional de la Mariña", as a way to honor all those in both the merchant and war navy, who contribute to further Spanish greatness.

I would also take this moment to announce our intentions to improve the literacy of the Spanish people. We encourage every Spanish citizen to do everything possible to help their fellow countrymen be capable of reading. Castillian, Basque, Catalan, every language is important to preserve our national identity. The Spanish government will accept donations of material, funds, and volunteers to help the region-based literacy programs.

Now, let the world behold our advancement. Our scientists and industrialists will do us proud!

OOC : Remember that my army level comes mostly from training and discipline, but if Paraguay and Argentina can improve their army levels like this, you should not be suprised if i import weapons and go to army level 10 or even higher.

Besides, the update stated that they were not very well-equipped, better than the enemy conscripts? definetly, but not as good as say, the paraguayan regulars

Don't complain, i started with a sucky navy when if i had the Brazilian OTL navy your one would much probably be at the bottom of the sea right now, all because both i overlooked a single link until it was too late.

OOC: No, your level also comes from Krupp guns. And 200 Krupp guns in a 20.000 force make it high level, but in a force of 120.000, their impact will be diluted.

About our navy, well, mine should be higher level by now, but the dice hasn't been a friend. But to take my entire navy to the bottom of the Ocean, when the French couldn't...

About Germany, it is kinda a special case, after all, they are making the guns that Brazil is getting... it wouldn't make much sense to have them below Brazil just because they have more men. And to compare the German military staff with Brazilian one...

OOC: No, your level also comes from Krupp guns. And 200 Krupp guns in a 20.000 force make it high level, but in a force of 120.000, their impact will be diluted.

About our navy, well, mine should be higher level by now, but the dice hasn't been a friend. But to take my entire navy to the bottom of the Ocean, when the French couldn't...

OOC : I believe your navy is mostly sailing ships with leadership that probably isn't above average.
The brazilian navy by the time was smaller than before (it had reduced in size due to replacing of ships), but was all-steam ships, it was modern, more than the spanish, the leadership was also superior as far as i know, 40~ ships (numbering more than 250 cannons) would be enough to bring your fleet down.

As for krupp guns, no, i don't own any of those, i'm using other kinds of artillery, which i can produce. (I haven't made any orders related to that)

Last edited:
Actually, there are a few Ironclads, like the Numancia (the first Ironclad to circumnavigate the world, if wiki is correct), who were quite well-equipped. And, you know, wooden ships can beat steamers, especially if they pack greater firepower.

As for the Krupp guns, I thought I saw them mentioned in an update somewhere...

Actually, there are a few Ironclads, like the Numancia (the first Ironclad to circumnavigate the world, if wiki is correct), who were quite well-equipped. And, you know, wooden ships can beat steamers, especially if they pack greater firepower.

As for the Krupp guns, I thought I saw them mentioned in an update somewhere...

OOC :
Not my krupp guns, also didn't you only have 1 ironclad that you got from France? (the Catalunya)
The numancia was built on 1864, and OTL it was bought by the Spanish from the French.

And i asked Fry for confirmation, the Brazilian OTL Armada would be more than a match for yours.
All your ships are sailing ships as well.

Last edited:
I was speaking OTL, dunno about ingame.

Anyway, there's quite a story for Brazilian naval mutinies as well... clearly a sign of that fabled Brazilian leadership :)

And you can't compare armadas without tactics, I'm afraid.

Edit : I could only find Brazillian Ironclads after 1865.

Edit 2: I'm quite sure that Spain had steamers in 1861, too.

Last edited:
I was speaking OTL, dunno about ingame.

Anyway, there's quite a story for Brazilian naval mutinies as well... clearly a sign of that fabled Brazilian leadership :)

And you can't compare armadas without tactics, I'm afraid.

Edit : I could only find Brazillian Ironclads after 1865.

Edit 2: I'm quite sure that Spain had steamers in 1861, too.

OOC : These mutinies were all during the republican period, the navy didn't really like the republic, the republic never liked the navy a lot as well because the navy was very pro-monarchy in general and its leaders often desired to restore it.
That's why the Brazilian navy devolved so much from what it was. ;) (same for the brazilian per capita ratings, that were as high as the ones from the USA at one point, really, the old republic screwed Brazil so much...it's like if it was two different countries)
Yes, Brazil started producing ironclads somewhere around 1865, in 1866 they finished the first ones built in Brazil (the first two were bought from France in 1865)

About the brazilian leadership, it was good...
As for spanish steamers, i don't think they had ALL their navy or most of it being steamers (unlike Brazil, who by 1864 had a pure-steamer armada of 40 modern ships, later it would gain a good ammount of ironclads)

Last edited:
OOC: You count steam engines, I prefer to count cannons :)

And you're facing four fleets, not just my own.

OOC : Four fleets? The Uruguayan one is pretty much non-existant, the paraguayan one was destroyed and the Argentine one, let's be fair, wouldn't be present on that first naval skimirsh, and even if it was it would probably make little difference.

As for cannons, the 40 Brazilian ships in 1864 combined had around/more than 250 cannons.