• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OOC: I thought it merely meant that the US values would be posted in $ not £, and the conversion factor was 2:1 or so. (Though the £ was historically worth about $4.50 until they both closed the gold window for individuals following WWI, it even reached upwards of 1£ : $12.00 during the American Civil War, due to the costs of the war, but that was nothing compared to the inflation in the south. But given the Marxists rise, the £ is probably worth less, similar to how demand for cotton is down as a lot of the mills are now controlled by the Marxists.)

Last edited:
OOC: It would be an even bigger shame if I systematically exterminated every single Spanish coastal town wouldn't it? Knowing your place might be cheaper... :p

OOC: It would, considering the consequences of such an act to the United Kingdom, or what is left of it. (incoming doomsday weapon #1)

OOC: Dear Fry, any known troop positions and numbers would be most welcome, but not exactly a necessity. Any unassigned troops would be particularly handy.

P.S, is Tennessee effectively lawless or is there some control?

OOC: It would be the grandest shame if you aleinated yourself from every power in the game, wouldn't it?

OOC: Not particularly. Most of the world is backwards and ruled by savages, the rest is either my friend or already my enemy.

OOC: Not particularly. Most of the world is backwards and ruled by savages, the rest is either my friend or already my enemy.
OOC: If it makes you feel better I did not consider you a real enemy when I first got here but your actions have made you one? :p

OOC: Hey, you asked me to compromise my honour as a Gentleman. I didn't ask you to round house your mother off the Empire State building did I?

Besides, after our little discussion about the weather, I thought you would see that Im not that bad.

Either way, this just annoys Spain, who already hates me for god knows what reason.

OOC: I figured if you were serious you wouldn't be concerned if I had the naval restrictions loosened at least to the point of....well having a real navy. Austria has a bigger navy than me atm. ;)

Edit: Hey Ireland has more debt than me also. Progress! :laugh:

As a rebuilding economy with many highly skilled workers and a very stable government and nation, France is a very good candidate for investment. Many homes are still being rebuilt, bridges fixed, railroads reconnected, factories reopened and countless other opportunities. Someone will see prosperity from the rebuilding French economy and the longer people wait the more likely someone else takes up the opportunity. Saving up for a better day is simply tossing aside the potential that is there now. Wealthy French or foreign investors have a very friendly government and an expanding economy to take part in with trade expanding heavily.

OOC: That is a good thing but note that I am in debt because of major reforms that will give me a lot more income in the long term.

OOC: Please, do continue improving my nation for me. Its most helpful of you, especially not killing the Ulstermen and all that.

What effect do IC posts have? Will spamming posts on the same issue get me any advantage?

OOC: That is a good thing but note that I am in debt because of major reforms that will give me a lot more income in the long term.

Alas, education reforms will not be of any use for, say, the next 10-15 turns? Long term indeed. But what you need is short to mid term income, so you can fend off those British bastards once they've crushed the damned commies.

IC Posts have little impact, unless you do something immense like "CSA Abolishes Slavery!" and then you'll get couped.

Anywho.

Decision time! All nations must now state IC what monetary system they will use. Your options are:

The British Pound (£)
- The British Pound is the standard currency for all Financial Transactions in the World. But, due to the British Civil War, many nations have been weary of it's stability. The British Pound is currently worth .90 Gold Units.
Used by: The United Kingdom, Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, The Austrian Empire, The German Federation

The Deutsches Mark (ℳ)
- The Deutsches Mark is the currency used only in the German Empire. Only now is it being considered as a currency for financial transactions due to the stability of the Mark compared to the British Pound. The Deutsches Mark is currently worth 1 Gold Units.
Used by: The German Empire, The United Republics of Ireland, The Kingdom of Belgium, The Kingdom of Sweden, The Great Qing, The South African Republic, The Empire of Japan; The Kingdom of Sweden

The French Franc (₣)
- Arguably one of the weakest currencies of Europe, the French Franc is slowly recovering from it's post-war downfall, and its value is slowly rising. The French Franc is currently worth .70 Gold Units.
Used by: The Second French Empire, Argentine Confederation

The United States Greenback ($)
- During the American Civil War, the United States of America removed itself from the Gold Monetary system to better finance the war. Due to the massive amount of printing of Greenbacks, there are a large number of them. The United States Greenback is currently worth 0.50 Gold Units.
Used by: The United States of America

The Confederate Dollar (C$)
- The Confederate States, unable to effectively raise enough Gold to finance the war, resorted to printing unbacked paper money. Any nation, besides the Confederacy, that would use this would surely see their country collapse. The Confederate Dollar is currently worth 0.10 Gold Units.
Used by: The Confederate States of America

Last edited:
OOC: Sounds great, but what's wrong with just sticking with this system? That will make everything needlessly complicated when it comes to prices.

This is part of an experiment I am doing. The actual money we all use in the bank are "Gold Units". The money we use, however, if we appropriate 200 dollars for building something, and you use the pound, you only lose 180 Gold Units.

This is all a trial to make the game better for YOU and makes currency printing possible. All of the calculations are on MY part. I do the work. You guys sit back and watch as I start to engineer a complex economy behind the scenes.

We would like to announce that our currency will be based on the German Mark, only now renamed the Irish Mark.

The USA continues it's use of the Greenback!

OOC: I doubt I needed to do that but since you asked. Did you see my questions on the previous page Fry?

OOC: Flavour is great, but this is just going to make calculating money needlessly difficult, whilst also making every nation pick one of 5 currency's, something that in this time period wouldn't have happened.

I realise that ultimately my opinion is pretty much irrelevant, but this just seems like something that adds needless complication to a system that was already working fine.

OOC: Why you gotta make me choose? I'm not into this finances thing.
Also, what if one wants to establish one's own currency?

EDIT: Also, I agree with Doombunny. Don't fix what ain't broken.

OOC: See, this is my point. In this time period, a common currency between nations is pretty much unheard of.

Not to mention that adding this much stress and calculation to you isn't a good idea.

Either way, Ill stop doing this now.

I did not see your question.

To be honest, I made a huge excel calculation sheet today at work, and I'm messing around with it. Not everything seems 100% proper, but hey. The chances of Britain actually having a communist revolution in 1862 is low too.

You may not make a new currency. Essentially, you all have your currencies, and you are simply tying yours to another one. A very common practice as they ALL (Besides the Confederate Dollar) are tied to Gold, just at different rates.