Thread: Garrison Artillery

Garrison Artillery

Started a Prussia GC and on the first turn I decided among other things to start slowly improving my defensive capabilites. Started from Hamburg where I ordered 1 unit of coastal artillery and was about to order 1 unit of fortress artillery, but noticed that I lack industry there to produce fortress artillery (which is IMO weird because one would think casting a bigger barrel is always more complex, but whatever). Good thing is I don't lack industry in other parts of the country so I figured I'd produce there, move them to destination and assemble the pieces at Hamburg fortress, but apparently I failed at doing that also. I admit I've read the manual and stuff and I clearly remember that garrison units can be moved only when under attack so it wasn't exactly uber surprising, but how prudent is that I can't actually produce parts, then transport these parts and men to the destination and assemble them there (given the fact the country has rail network among other things). My question is whether there is any other possibility (that I have overlooked) to place fortress artillery unit in Hamburg without actually building required industry there?

You can strategically move it - select the unit and go to the third tab of orders on the left, select the one with the hexes and the arrows, and then select the destination.
    PoN Beta

Quote Originally Posted by sagji View Post
    You can strategically move it - select the unit and go to the third tab of orders on the left, select the one with the hexes and the arrows, and then select the destination.
    Thank you very much, you made me a happy man for the duration of the day. That is untill I'll try it in the evening and fail to do it properly.

The problem is that you tried to build Fortress Artillery Units in a city without a fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Boernes View Post
    The problem is that you tried to build Fortress Artillery Units in a city without a fortress
    Now that you put it this way that's actually pretty hilarious.

BTW just a quick update - when trying to strategically move a detached fortress artillery unit I've got a pop up saying that this unit can not be moved strategically.

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I thought only generals/admirals could be strategically redeployed.
    My AARs
    -------->>> The House of Zähringen <<<--------
    -------->>> Bismarck's Spirit <<<--------

Strategic redeployment seems to be possible with all units, as long as there's a railroad in the beginning AND the railroad pool is high enough AND the target region has a railroad as well...

All in all the prerequisites do make some sense (never tried if it works when there's actually no railroad connection between the regions).