• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanubianCossak

DaputinCozzak Specyal Snowflake
34 Badges
Nov 16, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hey, i rarely do this, but right now i think its a good occasion for one of these threads.

Im a dedicated EU3 modder, which means i spend a lot of time toying around with EU3 mechanics, and i have to say, there are quite a few issues and problems with current state of EU3.

Basically some months ago, before CK2 (if i remember correctly) we had a month or so (i call it a honey moon) when Johan (and other guys i suppose, sry i remember him posting) made something like 5 patches in a month or so. It was awesome, as game got some badly needed love, and we even got couple of new (bonus?) stuff like rebel hunting (<3) etc.

Now, all these months later, without a single new patch, im kind of starting to get annoyed with well known bugs that really need to be fixed.

I understand that this is a money making business, dont get me wrong, i appreciate the value of your time, BUT since it looks like AHD's development is over (its released) and CK2 is nearly out (like a week or so more?), i would like to point out that there are still quite a few of us playing EU3 almost every day. And on top of that there are (to my knowledge) quite a few reported bugs that need some attention.

Anyway, if you agree with the general idea of this topic, drop a reply saying so, and lets try to generate some Paradox attention (yes i know how this sounds, but it is what it is, i only have best intentions at heart).

If you sat down and played EU3 for couple of days, im sure youd fix/rebalanced lots of stuff on your own without my input, but for the sake of this thread ill post the following *warning* wall of text (sry in advance):

-Vassal AI upon losing a war (devastating max or near max WE kind of war) and being vassalised proceed to recruit and disband armies as soon as they are built (easily reproduced AI behavior). Combined with other AI problems, this leads to many declarations of war, as having 0 divisions is treated as weakness (most likely) by other AI, so regardless of vassal status DoWs come all the time, dragging overlord etc etc etc.
-AI's over all eagerness to declare war, simply because they seem to perceive target country as "weak". This can REALLY be annoying, specially when AI's attack someone on first day for -2 stability. For example, TO attacking Pommerania (-2 stab + HRE member) on day one with only a fraction of its land force limit available (even at 100% lfl its a bad idea).
-AI's over all HORRIBLE management of infamy. Probably tied to poor choice of CBs. Example would be Ottomans, who very often completely ignore targets human would attack on day one - cored provinces that you can get essentially for 0 infamy - but no, the AI declares war on some religious enemy, or even worse goes on to invade Sweden in 1420s... Just bad...
-AI's over all eagerness to invade stuff, above i mentioned Ottomans, examples are many. I very much preferred the old (before one of the patches) times when AI didnt land 16 units stack X 5 across 2000 km sea route in early 15th century.
-AI's treatment of Defender of Faith mechanic - this just causes so much weirdness, as DoF country gets dragged into senseless wars that just end up ruining it in the long term.
-AI's eagerness to mint (one of the biggest problems).
-AI's inability to scale the desired army size to available land force limit, if census tax is enough to support it, and then use the remaining money to build up economy - no, AI will go 130% of land force limit (thus increasing units maintenance exponentially), wasting every single coin, minting and failing to improve its economy, coupled by increased cost of everything + tech cost + all other stuff leading to inevitable AI failure by 1600s in most of my games. Id be sitting there large, stable, 10 techs ahead, looking at western European powers with 15+ inflation (at best) underdeveloped ready to be steam rolled by human.
-Snake borders - just go through post DW empire thread in this very forum and see how many people dislike AI's tendency to create snake shape borders that make no sense what so ever.
-Rebel-hunting mechanic needs some improvements when it comes to stack-to-stack coordination. Lets say i have 2 stacks at different ends of my realm - left and right. If i take control of left stack and move it (thus leave left side empty) and then a rebel stack pops up there, the right stack will immediately start moving to kill it - which is ok. Unless 5 days later another rebel stack spawns on the right stack, in which case it will most likely finish siege by the time right side rebel hunting stack kills left rebels and marches back to its area... This is specially bad in REALLY big in land countries. Either add additional checks to prioritize distance over time (i would prefer if the right stack stopped its marching order, moved back, killed the left rebels, and then proceeded back on its way), or give us option of setting up rebel hunting within region only (the rh stack would only move within selected region which would be the easy way of fixing the above mentioned problem).
-Nationalist rebels weirdness. Well, it seems like game engine cannot handle 2 groups of nationalist rebels at the same time. This is a HUGE issue in large areas of uniform culture, such as Russia. Heres an example: lets say Golden Horde (or someone else NOT of Russian culture) manages to conquer Moscovy, and then annex Novgorod. Without cores in just annexed NOV provinces theres a very good chance youll get nationalist rebels, which is perfectly fine - Novgorod area, right culture, probably right core etc, working as intended. Well, if a SINGLE NAT rebel stack belonging to NOV spawns, and then a few days later GH gets an event that spawns nationalist rebels in ANY other Russian culture province, in the other end of Russia, say Ryazan, the event-spawned NAT stack will also belong to Novgorod! Now thats just silly, as, if Novgorod doesnt have cores in this province, it should not be awarded with free core giving rebel stack, which is exactly what the nationalist rebels will do - win sieges and spawn cores where they should not. This needs to be fixed IMO, so that Nationalist rebels can have multiple factions at the same time (wanting to liberate more than one country).
-Rebel AI movement weirdness. Rebel AI (for all types but Japanese rebels, i havent played there) seems to only move between 1.) province it originated from and 2.) one other (usually random) province of its movement scope. This is VERY bad, as when both provinces are besieged and controlled, even when their garissons are at 100% the rebel stack will keep moving back and forth between these and completely ignore any number of other scope-available provinces. This causes MANY problems, such as countries rebelling with only 2-3 provinces, when they could have rebelled with 10 if rebel stack would have moved the way it should.
-Rebellious AI never ending wars. It seems like when a nation is created through rebellion, it gets locked into a never-ending war (they seem to last for decades until some hard codded mechanic kicks in and while peaces out all belligerants) with their former over lord, where one or both sides refuse to peace out regardless of context (say, overlord is at war with 10 other nations, it seems logical to offer whatever to newly formed nation if it cannot afford to fight them as well, finish the current wars and then take vengeance, thats what i would do), instead they fight for YEARS until one side manages to completely annex the other or before mentioned guessed mechanic white peaces everyone. Well this is a problem. Take Lithuania for example. Polotsk rebels during some war, and manages to occupy 20 size Lithuania, yes under current rules Polotsk gets to annex THE WHOLE LITHUANIA regardless of infamy and war score cost!!!!!!! Even worse, if another nation rebels same time as Polotsk, and it manages to occupy even one LIT province, Polotsk then cannot annex Lithuania, and AI wont end war, so this abomination will drag on for DECADES. Another example is England. Having even 1 overseas province can cause so much rebel weirdness its not even funny.
(theres lots more but thats it for now)

etc.

This i would suggest:

Additional diplomatic options:
-between vassal and overlord - vassal can ask for permission to conquer something.
-vassal can under some circumstances fight wars without overlord (either event driven or something else) - my understanding is that thats how Lithuania fought GH in 1399. war, without Poland (and Mazovia and Moldavia).
-additional options for vassal relations with overlord if one is of different religion. I could REALLY use this one for my mod (and so can vanilla). The whole Serbia and Bosnia as Ottoman vassal status which can never change is just meh... Moscovy being independent (or tributary) to GH without some inbetween status (direct vassal, sphere of influence) is just very rigid IMO. A system where Moscovy would need GH's permission (if GH is strong) to do stuff (like annex Murom and Nizhny Novgorod) is much more in accordance with reality (a similar system would also help Lithuania).

A patch would indeed be very useful, I fear however that the Devs will be busy making patches for AHD and Crusader Kings 2 for quite some time. They don't seem to visit this forum anymore, so it's unlikely that this will even get an answer from them.

I have to say i have the same feeling, but also i have to admit, that unlike other companies, every time i personally approached and directly asked a Paradox person something in the past (and i have) i always got the answer (sometimes not the one i wanted to hear, but an answer none the less).

I also hope that if we generate enough interest, for example, by having couple of hundred posts/views, we will eventually get someone to patch EU3. If not, well we tried, better than nothing i think.

Vassals fighting for themselves...
Finally no infamy for giving some provinces back to Byzantine vassal for loads of infamy while they have reconquest, or to send my italian stacks after an enemy without involving my poor swiss ass myself.

Rebel hunting units that refuse to move. That one really grinds my gears. Also the ones that get stuck on transport ships returning to their set province.

Fix that and I'll die happy.

I suggested much of this and more in my "Suggested Changes" thread.

And you forget some of the largest issues like issues with Japan etc.

This is why I will finally stop buying paradox games at all. I played every paradox game since EU 1, but last years were so annoying. They release something that is unfinished shit, finally bring it all in order, but they don't give us the big patch that fixes everything... no, they sell it as an expansion. Sucks.

Well... It is so complex game that it is hard to end it fast, and man need muney to life. At least he thinks so, but he only need to breath air, eat food, and drink water. And do other things, that does not need to involve muney. But may, so he may need to may have. Or something like that. Problem is when he does not make game as good as he thought it will be when he first looked at it. And not much of people want to admit their mistakes. For example hordes... It just change entire game so much it is no longer same game. All rest need some minor changes, but hordes need at least major patch or expansion. I mean now hordes not work as they should work.

I hereby support the idea of a new patch.
maybe it helps bribing the developers with some whiskey, as we learnt during the livestreaming of AHD at release-eve.
I strongly miss a better vassals management though.
I sugest to implement a page in the ledger like the merchant-trade-page, where you can see all your vassals relations and can undertake direct diplomatic strikes...

I like a lot of these suggestions; generally speaking the AI is the one area of the game that could use the most tweaking, is least moddable and has the greatest impact on enjoyability of play. Any improvements Paradox could make to the AI would be a real boon.

Then please do provide us with your own, more the better.

Right, I'll think about it.

I was thinking that maybe a €5 to €10 DLC of big fixes would be nice and more realistic. Something bigger than a patch but smaller than a full blown expansion pack. That would allow Paradox to finetune and polish DW up to its potential, and put in more effort than they would for a patch. Since EU3, and even DW, is not exactly their most recent game and patches don't bring in any money. Add some new mechanics/features, but not all the art and content that would be needed for an expansion pack. Instead it could focus on balance, consistency, AI etc. If it's a solid set of improvements, and not just some moddable script changes, surely people will buy it and it will cover the expense and everyone's happy!

Right, I'll think about it.

I was thinking that maybe a €5 to €10 DLC of big fixes would be nice and more realistic. Something bigger than a patch but smaller than a full blown expansion pack. That would allow Paradox to finetune and polish DW up to its potential, and put in more effort than they would for a patch. Since EU3, and even DW, is not exactly their most recent game and patches don't bring in any money. Add some new mechanics/features, but not all the art and content that would be needed for an expansion pack. Instead it could focus on balance, consistency, AI etc. If it's a solid set of improvements, and not just some moddable script changes, surely people will buy it and it will cover the expense and everyone's happy!

I wouldn't pay for it. Seriously, once you start with a feature, it is your duty to fine tune it and bring it to completion - you don't sell the fixes as a separate product. If they did something similar, I would be quite enraged - and most of the community too, I'd wager.

But DW is complete - and we bought it over a year ago. It could be improved, sure, but real improvements take time and money to make. IMO it would be better to pay them a little for a real effort than getting a free but sloppy patch to shut up the whiners.

It is not. Adding new features COULD grant a cost, but not fixes. And, if they do a sloppy patch (I think and hope they won't, for sure), then we will ask for ANOTHER patch. If they add new content, I will be happy - but first, what's already in has to work.

But DW is complete - and we bought it over a year ago. It could be improved, sure, but real improvements take time and money to make. IMO it would be better to pay them a little for a real effort than getting a free but sloppy patch to shut up the whiners.
No, its not or am I the only one experiencing CTDs? Sure, they are not as frequent as they used to be (5.0), but they still occur once or twice per century.

And then of course there are the issues with hordes and the shogunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.