• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fairly sure I can disband as many armies as I want?
No, I thought you could, but actually you can't. Besides, it would give an unfair advantage to Germany or Britain over France and Austria, so I wouldn't have allowed it anyway.
If you don't want to issue orders any more, just leave the army in Norway and make Germany at least work to get it.

Oh for god's sake... I have no time for this, I really don't, I had an assignment due last night and with the flu I only got started on it very late. I had no time to submit any orders of any sort. So, I quit.
I have a lot of sympathy if you don't have the time to follow the game and do the whole diplomacy stuff any more. On the other hand writing some sort of (preliminary) orders takes about one minute, they're still bound to be better then a Civil disorder. And you found time to post twice in this thread yesterday.
Anyway, good luck with your work.

Any volunteers to guide Turkey through its last days?

Last edited:

Euro knows of what I speak here :p

@ Seboden

Every time I bothered writing preliminary orders someone screamed that I'd betrayed them. Sure, it's better than civil disorder, but it also means I need to decide on the spot whether I want to risk my allies turning on me. It also requires an investment of time even for prelims. Sure I can type them in 30 seconds but I need to actually look at the map and decide on a course of action. If I decide poorly I might as well just Civil Disorder. And it's pointless putting the time into deciding what I'm going to order when it just gets changed when an ally finally replies. So I put it off, and then I never had the time to submit any orders - in fact I never even thought about it between about 9PM and 9AM the next day I was so engrossed in getting the assignment done. I was waiting on Reis's reply, I think, with an idea of bouncing in Ankara and taking Sevastopol (I think reis can vouch that it was my intent) and had a build this turn. It becomes a disband instead because I just didn't have the time to check back here, and there have been many close calls in the same situation. At times I even came on here at 2AM to submit orders having waited that long for diplomatic correspondence.

T'is true, I didn't expect this at all. When you sent that PM, you could have sent the moves you proposed as they were not anti-Italy in any way, though.

One thing that could be done would be to have a "proxy" order, on whether you delegate control of your army to another nation. Fully reversible, as to allow for stabs, but it would allow, if both sides cooperate, to change orders according to the last plan. Ideally, you would write something like:

A Ser Proxy Italy (A Ser - Bud, A Ser - Bul, A Ser S A Con - Bul), and then Italy could issue any of these orders as if the unit was his, provided Turkey kept the order. It could be done unconditionally as well, if you trust your ally.

I am glad to see I'm not the only one who was overwhelmed by the shear amount of work that is required to be done in a very short time to effectively play this game.

My condolences to Vain, as I understand exactly what he was/is going through.

Winter 1909

British Orders
Disband F Clyde

French Orders

German Orders
Build A Munich
Build A Berlin
Build A Kiel

Austrian Orders
Build A Budapest

Italian Orders

Russian Orders
Disband A Finland

Ottoman Orders
Disband A Serbia

Results

Next deadline is in 24 hours, 17:00 GMT on Wednesday, March 27th.
24-hour extension on request.

Last edited:
@ Seboden

Every time I bothered writing preliminary orders someone screamed that I'd betrayed them. Sure, it's better than civil disorder, but it also means I need to decide on the spot whether I want to risk my allies turning on me. It also requires an investment of time even for prelims. Sure I can type them in 30 seconds but I need to actually look at the map and decide on a course of action. If I decide poorly I might as well just Civil Disorder. And it's pointless putting the time into deciding what I'm going to order when it just gets changed when an ally finally replies. So I put it off, and then I never had the time to submit any orders - in fact I never even thought about it between about 9PM and 9AM the next day I was so engrossed in getting the assignment done. I was waiting on Reis's reply, I think, with an idea of bouncing in Ankara and taking Sevastopol (I think reis can vouch that it was my intent) and had a build this turn. It becomes a disband instead because I just didn't have the time to check back here, and there have been many close calls in the same situation. At times I even came on here at 2AM to submit orders having waited that long for diplomatic correspondence.
Yes, I know that. Real life has to take priority from time to time, unfortunately. And this game can be a huge time sink, maybe the next diplomacy game could experiment with three or four day turns, which would make the game last even longer, but perhaps be less stressful.

I will however disagree with you on the feasibility and desirability of preliminary orders: They don't have to be optimal to be useful. For example in your last turn the ideal orders (in hindsight) would have given you five SCs, but nearly any set of orders would have resulted in three or four. I can think of very few situations where even orders thought of in thirty seconds would be worse than a civil disorder. And if allies are angry at you for not cooperating properly, well, you are even less helpful to them, if your armies just stand around and your SCs get conquered.
Sorry, if that sounded a bit confrontational, but I had really hoped to get through this game with as few civil disorders as possible.

T'is true, I didn't expect this at all. When you sent that PM, you could have sent the moves you proposed as they were not anti-Italy in any way, though.

One thing that could be done would be to have a "proxy" order, on whether you delegate control of your army to another nation. Fully reversible, as to allow for stabs, but it would allow, if both sides cooperate, to change orders according to the last plan. Ideally, you would write something like:

A Ser Proxy Italy (A Ser - Bud, A Ser - Bul, A Ser S A Con - Bul), and then Italy could issue any of these orders as if the unit was his, provided Turkey kept the order. It could be done unconditionally as well, if you trust your ally.
This sounds like a pretty good idea, actually. I'll think a bit about it and then maybe incorporate it in the rules.
What do other people think about this?

This sounds like a pretty good idea, actually. I'll think a bit about it and then maybe incorporate it in the rules.
What do other people think about this?

Well, it's going to hinder Austria-Hungary, I'd rather you found Turkey a new player. Kiwi? It won't last long, anyway.

I think I could handle Turkey. Just wait until I work out what to do with the WW Big game before confirming that, though.

Well, it's going to hinder Austria-Hungary, I'd rather you found Turkey a new player. Kiwi? It won't last long, anyway.
I think I could handle Turkey. Just wait until I work out what to do with the WW Big game before confirming that, though.
Ok, there seems to be some confusion here, let me try to clarify:
Russia is as good as dead and taii didn't really want to play on, so he resigned. If Adamus is still around, he can give orders for the last few turns. Otherwise I will choose a (valid) order for the remaining army by dice-throw.
Turkey needed a new diplomat after Vainglory resigned, and taiisatai offered to take over, which I accepted. In fact he already decided the disband of last turn.
Reis's idea about allowing allies to order armies has nothing to do with this directly. It's just meant to make cooperation between allies easier and faster, especially across time zones. I have not yet decided if, when and how to implement that rule. I will make a detailed announcement, when I do.
Cpt. Kiwi is very welcome to join Turkey or indeed any other nation if he wants to. I didn't ask you, because you had said several times that you didn't have time for the game.

I hope that clears everything up.

Rice's idea is stupid, and I'm not just saying that.

A country's military should not be ruled by a foreign power whose interests are not one and the same with their own.

Rice's idea is stupid, and I'm not just saying that.

A country's military should not be ruled by a foreign power whose interests are not one and the same with their own.
It certainly can be risky, but the idea would not be to cede all control of your armies, but just to allow your ally to choose the order for one army for one turn from two or three predetermined options. This is meant to make cooperation easier.
Example:
Italy and England are long-term allies and have been thinking about how to best capture Spain from France. Unfortunately they are in different time zones and time's running out.
England might then order:
F Mat S F Wes-Spa(sc) (allow Italy to change to F Mat S F GoL-Spa(sc))
and copy Italy on the order. Italy can then decide with which fleet to attack Spain and still get the support from England.

I'm still not decided on this and I welcome feedback, but it's not as stupid as you make it sound.

It certainly can be risky, but the idea would not be to cede all control of your armies, but just to allow your ally to choose the order for one army for one turn from two or three predetermined options. This is meant to make cooperation easier.
Example:
Italy and England are long-term allies and have been thinking about how to best capture Spain from France. Unfortunately they are in different time zones and time's running out.
and copy Italy on the order. Italy can then decide with which fleet to attack Spain and still get the support from England.

I'm still not decided on this and I welcome feedback, but it's not as stupid as you make it sound.
The one controlling will always choose the outcome that's best for him, not exactly what the owner of the armies would do. I am opposed and if you implement it in this game I will resign.

Example:

Many potential issues. An controlling ally override preliminary orders from the country itself? What aboutcontrolling ally changing orders in the eleventh our to open his trusting friend to a stab? What if one of the diplomats in the home country has a full inbox?

I would not support the proposal.