• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Huh, yeah in DW WC would be faster, but only as horde. Still this makes Timurids, best WC nation. That is why i think there should be no horde player in MP. Just because they are overpowered.

As they should be at that time.

On topic: Sick, a WC with Ryuku befor 1600... Seem impossible, and when we look at the amount of time spend you played the last weekend 24/7 or are extremly good at micromanagement.

I lost my job at the end of last year so I can spend all the time I want playing EU3, at least until my new job starts.

Still, I find it hard to imagine that you could spend 4 months on a single game. I got the Cherokee achievement done in one evening. Okay, it was 11 hours non stop, but that was 400 years.

This is beyond awesome... just epic. congratulations!

At which point did you retake the Ryukyu islands?

Many thanks. Okinawa was a mess up on my part, I completely forgot about them when I took South East China. Champa had Okinawa and I took their mainland provinces without thinking about taking Okinawa.

As a result, I didn't take back Okinawa until late-game after government reformation.

If Forming the Mughals was an option, I feel I could have achieved a much faster time. Still, speed was not my agenda here, I just wanted this achievement.

You must have got alot of prolbem with that high infamy...

Hordes don't get infamy except for burning colonies (which they don't have to do because even if they lose a province they can retake it easily). He probably got some after switching governments, but he got everything he needed to get at that point quickly.

Yup, but he still seems to play really fast.

I also played Hordes for myself and it is really timeconsuming because WE goes up from time to time which means more rebeluprisings. And you cant crush them like with western tech units so it is becoming the famous "ping-pong game".

Then you have to invade the neighbours as well ofc AND you have to deal the uber rebel mass uprisings during the TSCs. One of the reasons why this game was so extemely impressive. He did in a few days...

One good advantage he had was the inheriting of Ming and the early SE asian wars, leaving him an enormous amount of money so there was no need to mint anymore (at least I guess so, but the treasury in his pictures pretty much seems to indicate this) and he could station more troops in all these provinces in South Asia and elsewhere to be more effective in rebel crushing.

Edit: Btw, does anyone know a good Golden Horde AAR for DW? Settings: Normal to VH diffulty.

Last edited:
As a horde I pretty much never take tribute. It just means trouble down the line when a country you want to devour is paying you and you must declare war without a CB. This is always a pain in my Golden Horde games when Novgorod pays you 1 ducat per month from game start.
If you plan to Mughalify, it's not a problem - tributes will be terminated and you'll get Holy War on your former tributaries.

One point i'd have to fend off there is the one about war exhaustion. Although most of my rulers in my game had a brilliant admin stat, hordes still get -0.08we for being at peace unless fighting another horde. You also lose 0.25we for sacking a province that has a fort. Add to this how hordes pretty much never take war exhaustion from battles due to bottomless manpower and you have the makings for low WE all game. Even though I had to be at war with hordes to prevent formal requests while fighting the empire, my war exhaustion never even reached 5 during warfare and only got to 8 during TSC. Most of the time it was between 0 and 1.5. In fact WE was such a non-concern that I marched my armies through much more attrition than I would a normal game because I knew it wouldn't make so much of a difference. Ok I wouldn't leave stacks permanently in attrition, but i would send troops through Siberian hellholes to save time or march troops through provinces already occupied to get to a destination to reduce micromanagement.

I don't really have an AAR, but I did a WC as a westernised golden horde remaining a horde for the whole game if you want any tips for it.

Yup, but he still seems to play really fast.

I also played Hordes for myself and it is really timeconsuming because WE goes up from time to time which means more rebeluprisings. And you cant crush them like with western tech units so it is becoming the famous "ping-pong game".
Totally agreed. I'm trying GH WC and I was playing for 2 weeks 1-2 hours almost every day and I'm still not even half way through (and quickly losing patience). Damned "ping-pong"!

One point i'd have to fend off there is the one about war exhaustion. Although most of my rulers in my game had a brilliant admin stat, hordes still get -0.08we for being at peace unless fighting another horde. You also lose 0.25we for sacking a province that has a fort. Add to this how hordes pretty much never take war exhaustion from battles due to bottomless manpower and you have the makings for low WE all game. Even though I had to be at war with hordes to prevent formal requests while fighting the empire, my war exhaustion never even reached 5 during warfare and only got to 8 during TSC. Most of the time it was between 0 and 1.5. In fact WE was such a non-concern that I marched my armies through much more attrition than I would a normal game because I knew it wouldn't make so much of a difference. Ok I wouldn't leave stacks permanently in attrition, but i would send troops through Siberian hellholes to save time or march troops through provinces already occupied to get to a destination to reduce micromanagement.

Wow. Ok, then. I must be still do several things in Horde games pretty wrong. I mean, I was doing pretty well with Timurids and Chagatai but that was also because I was able to form Mughals pretty early. With Golden Horde, I still seem to suck albeit the streamrolling of Europe. It is 1420 and my WE is already about 15, crippling recruiting time, revolts etc... I think I have to split my troops more often, I was largely operating with 12-15 k stacks because Poland-Lithuania and to a lesser extent Hungary and Ottomans had some really strong stacks. And there are still some strong enemies to come like Burgundy, France, Castille, GB etc. And if there are revolts in high base tax provinces like Bohemia, Kiev, Moskva you have big rebel stack there too :(

I wish I had 12 months (TOTAL) peace time but I need the sackings.... and conceiding defeat as a Horde is also a very bad idea because of all the Prestige and (even worse cause its harder to regain) the Legitimacy you lose. And as you already said , tributes are not a good option either.

Wow. Ok, then. I must be still do several things in Horde games pretty wrong. I mean, I was doing pretty well with Timurids and Chagatai but that was also because I was able to form Mughals pretty early. With Golden Horde, I still seem to suck albeit the streamrolling of Europe. It is 1420 and my WE is already about 15, crippling recruiting time, revolts etc... I think I have to split my troops more often, I was largely operating with 12-15 k stacks because Poland-Lithuania and to a lesser extent Hungary and Ottomans had some really strong stacks. And there are still some strong enemies to come like Burgundy, France, Castille, GB etc. And if there are revolts in high base tax provinces like Bohemia, Kiev, Moskva you have big rebel stack there too :(
I think 12-15K is too large in most cases. Not just because of WE, but because you can't afford sufficient number of 12-15K stacks. I mostly use 6-9K stacks, occasionally merging them if there's large oppositions (typically in wars against big countries). I'm also avoiding those nasty high base tax provinces - you can always take them later. Ottomans are tough though. Unless you're going for WC speed WR, it's probably better to leave Ottomans for later. Conceding defeat is a reasonable option, you recover prestige and legitimacy easy enough, but you can't concede defeat too often. I disagree about tribute - I don't see any other option - where else can you get money to maintain the armies? DDRJake effectively got all China to finance his armies and his horde expansion is happening in the later time-frame when production income becomes much bigger.

I hope you know I shouted in joy for like three minutes when I saw that Three Mountains screenshot.

Now I remember when we all thought that achievement was a joke, and now an entire like, three people have done it!

But he was most probably the only one who did it as a Horde ;)

Who where the other 2 and how did they do it?

@Alexti: Yup, sounds reasonable. Next time I play GH I will use smaller stacks.

Congratulations, Sir, that was pretty impressive!

Now get a rest before you slid into insanity :)