• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Projekt 919

General in Chief of the CSA
62 Badges
Aug 22, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
I Would like to start this thread by saying I love paradox interactive games and reaaly love some of the new game mechanincs in AHD. However, I noticed several (Many?) historical errors in the 1861 scenario. I Do not want this to become a AHD/Paradox bashing thread but rather intend it to serve a a list for dev assistance in later patches or as a assist to modders. I Would ask players of AHD to please submit any inaccuracies they notice to this thread as well.

Overall List of Needed/Requested Changes

Technologies
Small Arms - For both the USA and CSA breechloading rifles are enabled at start. However there were no breechloading rifles in either army until 1865 and even then it was not a standard weapon. Whearas Prussia, who introduced breech-loading rifles as early as 1849 ("Needle Gun"), still only has flintlock rifle tech. The same applies for the OE 1861 which in RL at this time was equipped with 1853 Enfields ("Muzzle Loading Rifles") but also is stuck on Flintlocks. Although I cannot be certain, I assume there kinds of errors are widespread.

Territorial Inaccuracies

Paraguay - Paraguay should own Alto Paraguay in 1861, atlthough disputed between Bolivia and Paraguay the latter had a much more solid claim and control over the area.

Dominican Republic - Should be a Colony of Spain, It reverted to this status only a month before the start date.

Tunis - Should be a Vassal of Ottoman Empire, not a possesion of it.

The Ionian Islands - should still be a satellite of Britain and not a part of Greece yet. The Treaty of London handing over the islands wasn't signed until 1864.

Ifni province - should be owned by Spain. They captured it in the Spanish–Moroccan War in 1860.

Zanzibar - should exist as a starting country (its cores are already there). It gained independence from Oman a few months before the start of the game.

France - should not control the main Comoros Islands, only Mayotte. They gained Mayotte in 1841, but didn't establish a protectorate over the other islands until 1886.

USA/CSA - Discussion ongoing about where the border between the Union and the South should be.

Holstien - Should still be a vassal of Denmark rather than a part of Prussia

Countries in Need of overall rework

Ottoman Empire - The list of innacuracies has the greatest concentration regarding the Ottoman Empire. Technologies need a total rework, the OOB (Many Irregulars despite Ottoman Armies rapid modernization prior to and immediatly afterward the crimean war) is also in need of some TLC. in 1861 Egypt could or could not have have been construed as a Ottoman Vassal so I'll leave that up to the individual interpreter. Also, despite industrial score (Regardless of the accuarcy of a 0 industrial score in 1861) the Ottomans qualify (Historically) as much more of a great power than Belgium.

Rebellions

The Taiping Rebeliion - in China was at its Height in 1861 but is completely absent from V2. The result is a ahistorically stable China and completely changes the dynamics of the 1860's Far East.

The Caste War - Although Obscure, large areas of the Yucutan were part of a independent Maya State for large sections of the 19th century. At the very least this area should be occupied by rebels in 1861 and possibly even be a uncivilized nation.

This thread is submitted in the utmost respect for the Moderators and Employees of Paradox Interactive and in the Belief that it is not in Violation of any forum rules.

Last edited:
And just to correct a couple of your own innacuracies :) :

- USA certainly should have Breech-Loading Rifles; the Sharps rifle was developed by 1861 in the USA and was used by the sharshooter batallions and in carbine form by the cavalry (although the regular infantry regiments ofc continued to use rifled muskets as the primary arm until 1865).

- Romania recieved the north bank of the Danube at the Treaty of Paris in 1856; Russia regained it after the Russo-Turkish War in the 1870s. So the ownership is correct

And my 2 cents as a MP player on Tunisia:

- Tunisia is probably more correct as a vassal, although putting it under direct Ottoman rule perhaps opens more possibilities for modders to simulate the Bardo treaty or a war in lieu of it, and in game terms a transfer to French rule via the free people wargoal (if they are just a vassal, the French have to fight two wars to first free the puppet and then make puppet)

-If you research a tech, it means your entire army gets it. If the USA has breech-loading rifles researched, it means every soldier was equipped with a breech-loading rifle. As this was not the case (most soldiers on both sides still had muzzle-loading rifles, except the aforementioned Sharpshooters which number a thousand men or so), Projekt 919's point still stands.

-Tunisia is even better represented as being in the Ottoman sphere. The Tunisian bey was more worried about the Ottomans encroaching upon his independence than the French. The Ottoman Empire should start slipping of the Great Power stage during the second half of the 19th century. If that happens Tunisia will become unprotected and viable for annexation by France or another European power. Just like in RL.

Here's my two cents...

- "Butternut" Region in Southern Illinois and Indiana

This area was populated by Southern whites who were distinctively different from the Northerners. I feel this small minority should be represented with a small splattering of Dixie POPs in southern Illinois and Indiana. This area has been traditionally tied with the Southern states, and there was even a fear, albeit ever so slight, that this area would separate from the Union and join the Confederate cause should Kentucky or Missouri secede.

- Balkh should belong to Afghanistan

This area was captured by Afghanistan in 1850, and has remained a part of the country since then. Meaning it should have a core placed here as well.

- Holstein should be a Danish puppet in the 1861 scenario just like in the 1836 scenario. Nothing really changed between those dates, since the war in 1848 was a stalemate.

Its strange, that Prussia just have muzzle-loaded rifles in the 1861 scenario. An Military Power house in Europe is far poorer equipped than the southern states.

Its strange, that Prussia just have muzzle-loaded rifles in the 1861 scenario. An Military Power house in Europe is far poorer equipped than the southern states.
Especially when they were among the first to introduce a breech-loading rifle as standard equipment, and those rifles are noted among the reasons for Prussian military success in the 1860s.

The Confederacy should start with its portion of the New Mexico territory as it had in 1861. I think vicky 1 had this, why not AHD?

Control was disputed even over that area. However, they gave the CSA Kentucky (Also Disputed) so I guess they figure it balances.

Control was disputed even over that area. However, they gave the CSA Kentucky (Also Disputed) so I guess they figure it balances.

Kentucky in AHD is under Union control. Only from 1836 playing to the WBTS does Kentucky join the Confed'racy

I Think We've all missed one huge thing.................the taipeng rebellion is conspicuosly absent from china despite the fact it was in full swing in 1861.

I looked though the 1861 scenario quite a bit last night (for work on PDM) and noticed the following map errors (most of them not very significant, but still).

* The Ionian Islands should still be a satellite of Britain and not a part of Greece yet. The Treaty of London handing over the islands wasn't signed until 1864.

* Ifni province should be owned by Spain. They captured it in the Spanish–Moroccan War in 1860.

* Zanzibar should exist as a starting country (its cores are already there). It gained independence from Oman a few months before the start of the game.

* France should not control the main Comoros Islands, only Mayotte. They gained Mayotte in 1841, but didn't establish a protectorate over the other islands until 1886.

There are obviously other problems, like in South America, but others have already mentioned those.

I shall talk about the leaders in the 1861 scenario for the USA and CSA

Phillip Sheridan in 1861 was a Second Lt, Not the leader of the Army of the Mississippi, which didn't exist until 1862.
Ulysses S. Grant was commander of the Cario Garrison in 1861, Not the leader of the Army of the Ohio, Correct leader is William Rosecrans
Leader of the Washington Garrison was Winfield Scott, Not Sherman.

Leader of Army of Northern Virginia was P. G. T. Beauregard, Lee replaced him, and a few others.
Leader of the Army of Shenandoah was Joseph E. Johnston.
Army of Virgina on the CSA side never existed, I would say merge it with the Army of Northern Virgina.

I do think Kentucky is controlled by the Union in AHD (as stated above, but i will have to check) In any case, the territory of New Mexico seceded of its own accord (in the same fashion the other CS states did) unlike Kentucky, so its claim to being confederate territory is far more valid that Kentucky's.

I do think Kentucky is controlled by the Union in AHD (as stated above, but i will have to check) In any case, the territory of New Mexico seceded of its own accord (in the same fashion the other CS states did) unlike Kentucky, so its claim to being confederate territory is far more valid that Kentucky's.

It would be nice if it were a Confederate territory, but it would have to be a territory in the first place. The south of Tucson and Arizona at least should be Confederate territories, like they claimed them to be. There were even a few minor battles there, and in game would allow the Confederates to trade Western land for time, like they did historically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_statehood

First off, in 1836, all of the later US states controlled by Mexico should be colonies (territories) as Mexico claimed them as territories, not states, without effecting real control. When the US won the Mexican American War, they were similarly claimed as territories, not states. In fact, New Mexico and Arizona were the last two continental territories to gain statehood. As it stands now, Mexico has them as states (wrong), and when the US takes them they are automatically granted statehood (wrong again).

Thus in 1861, most of them should be colonies (territories). California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Oregon, and Kansas should be states at the start, and the rest should remain territories. Like the OP said, I respect the developers for their wonderful game and hope this info can help make it better and more accurate.

If you're updating the original post, why are you leaving out the Denmark/Holstein issue? It's not as if Denmark really needs to be in a weaker situation than IRL in 1861...

If you're updating the original post, why are you leaving out the Denmark/Holstein issue? It's not as if Denmark really needs to be in a weaker situation than IRL in 1861...

I Just Missed it, I am updating now.