• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FrontLine1111

Lt. General
66 Badges
Feb 14, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Divine Wind
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
I've had admin spending at maximum since 1836. It's 1903 and I still have 0 bureaucrats in many of my provinces, like Michigan which is still in colony status. What am I doing wrong?

I've had admin spending at maximum since 1836. It's 1903 and I still have 0 bureaucrats in many of my provinces, like Michigan which is still in colony status. What am I doing wrong?

National focuses are quite important for raising bureaucrats, as well as giving them good wages and such on the budget screen. Remember to also keep their taxes at a level that keeps them out of poverty, but not too wealthy; you don't want them getting better jobs as clergy or officers.

I failed to mention that I've had that national focus on Michigan for years and still no bureaucrats. Their wages as far as I know can only be managed using the administrative budget slider and as I said that's been maxed the entire time. I've also had taxes very low on the middle class (like 10% I think).

I failed to mention that I've had that national focus on Michigan for years and still no bureaucrats. Their wages as far as I know can only be managed using the administrative budget slider and as I said that's been maxed the entire time. I've also had taxes very low on the middle class (like 10% I think).

Very low taxes on the middle class and maximum wages for bureaucrats is a bad thing for keeping bureaucrats. If they're too wealthy they'll promote into other professions.

Ok, I'll try lowering taxes on the poor and raising taxes on the middle class and see how that works. Thanks. Any other way I can try to make sure my poor have enough money to promote? Other than making sure they aren't unemployed?

Ok, I'll try lowering taxes on the poor and raising taxes on the middle class and see how that works. Thanks. Any other way I can try to make sure my poor have enough money to promote? Other than making sure they aren't unemployed?

Increasing your tax efficiency gives you more wiggle-room to shift your tax burden and still maintain a positive income. Also, make sure your lower class pops can actually buy the goods they want; you may have to sphere or conquer some territory if you can't obtain enough.