• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Final reminder, time is almost up!

Tapscott-Indeed, as various other places and times demonstrate, most people will tolerate being ruled without much input so long as they are ruled decently well...

Loki-That is really quite an awesome quote. In fact, that quote is so excellent I may use part of it as a post title sometime. And precisely on point. And of course these are not true conservatives, otherwise they wouldn't have embarked on such an energetic industrialization policy

This post is mostly to thank you, my readers [post=14559919]for your votes in the ACA's.[/post] It means a great deal to me. :)

Update on schedule this weekend is looking good. :)

A House Divided

He preferred his history neat. He was aware the reality could be complicated, but the narrative need not be, best not be.

He had imagined what this time period would like like from the eyes of the future. Arrogant, perhaps. But why not?

His was the power, his were the decisions. He and the party made the decisions that mattered, the decisions worth writing about.

Much as the poor would always be with us, so too, would the daily struggles of every day people. You did not have to turn to history to learn about those, if there was anything worth learning. You merely had to look around. But matters of state were not every day decisions, and yet they had gained the appearance of effortless grace, of a smooth progression from one Mexico to the next, from the past, into the present, and into the future. History. Neat. As desired and intended. Peaceful. Orderly. Increasingly productive. Increasingly powerful. Order and Progress, at the same time.

The world, it seemed, had a sense of humor.

CSA.png

It was still hard to believe. How and why had the Americans actually reached this point? The fighting, the bickering, the occasional political crisis there had come to seem normal, the constant presence of the other Great North American Republic on the edge of a precipice had grown to seem normal. Afer awhile, it had become hard to believe that they would ever fall over, after all, every time, they had kept going along. Another compromise. Another last minute step back from the brink. Why now?

There was no reason that he could see. The Democrats remained in power up there. The Republican party, the newest challenge to the old order, had not managed to win. And yet the southern states had, in some sort of mania, decided now was the time.

The consequences would not be isolated.

The Liberals were calling upon Mexico to aid her ally, the United States, in ending the foul practice of slavery in North America once and for all. This ignored the fact, of course, that the United States itself had not decided to do such a thing yet. But all sorts of young hotheads were calling for an expedition, or a demonstration of power, or something.

In a sane universe, the United States fighting a rebellion in its southern states would be the best news in the world. It would represent a sometime friend and ally but potential rival distracted by much more serious problems at home. More time for Mexico to grow, and prosper. More time for his party to put everything in order and make the newly secured west unassailable.

But it would not be that simple. Now they would have to spend time and attention on making sure nobody did anything stupid and that everyone kept out of the American's affairs. They would be unlikely to view any incursion on their territory, even if nominally meant as assistance to put down a rebellion, with any sort of forgiveness.

What's worse, is that the Southerners, or Confederates, or whatever on earth they were calling themselves right now, seemed enthusiastic and optimistic about their little independence movement.

CSAEvent.png

In a normal universe, this rebellion would be a particularly complex form of suicide. The newly minted country was tiny in comparison to the United States i territory, in people, and in the weapons of war. In the end, all the headaches this mania will have caused him will have been for nothing....

You have my apologies both for the schedule slip and the briefness of the update. This semester is taking alot of energy out of me. I'll do my best to continue updating on a regular schedule. :)

Well its still great stuff. So we have a classic Whig rendering of history mucked up by the messy realities of humanity. But given the chunk of what might have been the CSA that you hold, its hard to see what is going to happen as anything but brutal and short lived.

so yep, staying well out of it seems very sensible.

Man, I wouldn't touch the USA's issues with a 10 foot long pole! As tempting as it is to see the two nations weaken each other, it just seems like a waste of energy to involve yourself in the problems of the Americans.

Keep it up! It's a joy to read your AAR. Mexico is a lot of fun to play - a lot of potential and a lot of pitfalls at times. My own game of Vic 2 as Mexico (when Vic first game out) involved me fighting three separate wars against the UK because they were displeased with my increasing power. Fortunately I always had cordial relations with the US so the redcoats couldn't hit me on every front. Sadly I can't play that game anymore due to the version difference but it just means I'll have to start a new one!