• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sadly I agree with this. Westernization is quite boring. When I play an unciv I bring a book to the computer, so I have something to do for the first 50 years

Part of it is that you need 6 or 8 techs, which take forever to get. If there were 80 sub parts you could at least do something at each step and pay attention to it.

It depends who you are though. As Japan you can westernize in the late 50's easily. As just about anyone else you're looking at 1880's and by then all of the great powers have a huge tech lead and you're lucky if you can catch up by 1900. While you're waiting there's a lot you can think about doing. I keep trying to form india as Panjab, and before I get sphered I can conquer 2 neighbours (afghanistan and Kalat usually) and then I grab johore for the gold mines, and even then the moment I'm sphered I have no money due to no tariff income, which means I can't fund clergy for RP. So you end up sitting around accomplishing not very much.

Couple that with the trainwreck that is the economy and playing as an unciv other than japan isn't very fun. When you can *finally* start building factories you can't build anything that's profitable, assuming you can get resources for it at all.

Part of the problem I think comes from how the AI doesn't destroy low profitability factories for higher profitability ones, and that a single currency traps everyone into being greece or germany, and starting as an unciv makes you greece. If I could devalue my own labour (or index labour costs and productivity to literacy, but at different multipliers, so that low literacy makes your production cheap, but well... you can only make cheap stuff). I think the other issue comes from interventionist and state capitalists keeping factories open that have no demand, and aren't anywhere near having demand. I'm looking at you glass and steel factories that are overproducing by a factor of 2.

just got AHD and saw this thread...and i have to agree.

i played china and finally managed to westernize by 1891 or so. all you can really do is up spending while trying to balance spending (usually by slashing armies to close to zero and waiting for your substates to save you in case there's a reactionary uprising).

then you wait...and wait...and every so often you can finally do a reform. i fought a war or two just to puppet my nearby states, but rapidly found SoIs everywhere courtesy of britain, which i wasn't going to go close to with a ten-foot pole.

because of the changes in the system, it's no longer 'insane industrialization' for china the second it westernizes, but OTOH...it's not very fast, either. compounded by the fact that when you do westernize and lose the sphere of influence you're under, russia attacks because you've got a core...and your armies are no match. (it sucked watching my most modern army get ripped apart despite outnumbering the russians 2:1). but that's another matter.

i like the GIST of what Paradox has done, in which westernization is a process vice several random humiliation wars against a weak opponent. but 1.) it's dragged out TOO long, or 2.) it needs to have more give and take with the player rather than just waiting...and waiting...for RP to grow.

japan seems more a likely candidate for a fun unciv than china is at the moment.