• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135671224
This is a current USA campaign of mine. If you notice here.. Texas took an awfully long time to apply for statehood, I was kinda worried.

Here, I am very surprised how long Mexico held out while under pressure from me, Austria, USCA, Liberia, and Brazil. I managed to knock out the entire mexican cession in one war, as I love doing. I'm currently waiting for the CSA to secede, as I cheated and made every colony a state, and then converted them to slaves, so the CSA can overthrow the USA under my leadership. Mexico became an Empire, oddly enough..
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135669858

and Belgium (!) wants to cut me down to size with Russia's help...
Well, I guess Belgium got a free CB on you, looked, saw Russia willing to help - dowed.
--
Both SP going after Istria and France after Alsace-Lorrain is normal - the frenchies try it from time to time the whole game (I've seen games where Alsace-Lorraine changed hands 10 times), and SP thinks you're weak because you've already two major wars running (they've a unification CB on anyone holding Italian cores).

Empire of Japan: The Greater East African Co-Prosperity Sphere

(日本帝国大東阿共栄圏, Nippon Teikoku Daitoua Kyoueiken)

My second game, 1836 start, Normal difficulty, and without going over the infamy limit. I always pick Japan as the second country to play in games like these because I am a weeaboo find it an excellent choice to learn how to tech up and modernise before going around conquering people in the name of the Emperor. In this game I also wanted to learn how to conquer uncivs, colonise, and scramble for Africa, and that's exactly what I did. I passed the 'Early Meiji Reformation' decision (I don't even know why such a thing is in the game), attacked Johore and Brunei, and was sphered by UK before breaking out upon modernisation. I then attacked Egypt, rushed N&I and Machine Guns, then colonised in such a way as to encircle as much territory as possible. Almost all the colonisable territories in the Pacific are also mine, the exception being Papua.

Strangely enough, I did not receive all of UK's research when I modernised despite being their sphereling. I thought modernising while being a sphereling gives you all your sphere-master's techs? A pity, but I still managed to into space (but not gain all inventions) by the end of the game.

JAP00010_zps8c78ecd7.png

I know the borders are horrible so I shan't murder your eyes by posting the screenshot showing only my national borders. Of the big players, USA, France, China and Ottomans are my closest allies, with whom I have never been at war. Suffice to say those were the ones who did not try to colonise Africa. Belgium is my puppet, while important spherelings are Netherlands, Brazil, Gran Colombia, Chile, Java, and especially Transvaal, who helped a ton against the UK. Also note how Prussia basically became the punching bag of the world - Austria owns the Polish territories, USA owns Holstein, and Ottomans owns Gelderland...

I took all the CBs I could get to steal territory from the other European nations, and I had a Great War against Netherlands and Prussia so I took as much as possible with the cheaper infamy cost. I'd like to annex Sokoto but unfortunately every single GP in the world decided that they wanted to get friendly with it despite none of them being adjacent to it, so I had to leave it alone. I also happen to own a little piece of South Africa as the UK, for some reason, decided that it absolutely didn't want to colonise it. Pperhaps the UK's AI is hardcoded not to colonise the very last available territory so as to give others a chance? When someone else tried to take it I decided I might as well snap it up.

My colonial war in Africa was the only 'Great War' of the game. I fought another spectacular war around the time of the real Great War when Austria attacked France, alone, and I called in half the world to help defeat the evil white blob in a 4 year-long war, hence the spot of blue in the middle of their country. My last significant war was when I fought Russia and UK, thanks to a free CB against Primorye, the warscore for which I gained purely through occupying UK territory with only Transvaal to help =)

Here's the scoreboard.

JAP00020_zps9bf9bd0a.png

Note that my final score is actually rather inflated - I wanted to see if I could knock UK off the top spot so in the last few years of the game I spammed dreadnoughts, soldiers, and in the final month I declared war on someone and mobilised, but it still wasn't enough =( Silly Brits, they're so backward that they didn't research the tech which gives you -50% supply consumption, which could probably have made the difference. Still, even before the final sprint, dreadnoughts alone made up almost 3000 points of my military score. How the heck do AI countries get such a high military score without building capital ships?

But I guess I'm happy with my score - my Prestige is first place and greater than the next three nations added together, while my Industry was 4th-5th due to most of my POPs living in colonial states and thus I had relatively fewer crafties.

One last little quirk - due to going on a mad colonising rampage, I wanted to see how many foreign territories I could convert to a majority Japanese population. Here's the result of my efforts - the white territories represent Japanese populations.

JAP00030_zpsbc79c48a.png

JAP00040_zps8476e7b8.png

I'm curious about the factors which could help convert a province to your nation's culture. I know you can set the National Focus to encouraging immigration, but I also tried to convert as many colonies to states as possible to see if it helped. I know it's bad for literacy, but I wanted to at least give it a try. Turning colonies into states gives you prestige, lets craftsmen appear, and allows the 'Patrimony' event giving cores to fire, but I don't know if it had an effect on cultural conversion. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anyway, that's it from me. I'm probably going to try USA for my next game to have a taste of the events that lead up to the civil war, and also to see if I can break the infamy limit, kill the UK, and become the tyrant of the world. But until then ...

Long Live the Emperor!
天皇陛下万歳!(Tennou Heika Banzai!)

You'd probably be horrified to see the nationality screen on my China game where I conquered Japan.

Whenever a RGO change event fired in Japan I said yes to increase immigration to the province, regardless of whether the new resource was actually useful.

If I ever released Japan they would be wracked by Chinese nationalists.

I went a little HoI on Europe... This is with forming Greater Germany in 1840. My infamy was over 300, but somehow I only fought one war of containment. France is annoyingly difficult to eradicate.
Well, the higher your military score is, the fewer Containment Wars you'll fight - with your military score being almost as big as the UK's combined score, there's probably nobody risking containment wars (unless your playing mods like NNM/APD, where the world is basically forced to fight you.

Well, the higher your military score is, the fewer Containment Wars you'll fight - with your military score being almost as big as the UK's combined score, there's probably nobody risking containment wars (unless your playing mods like NNM/APD, where the world is basically forced to fight you.

I tried to leave my military score low by not building capital ships (my entire navy was only 30 transports until I got dreadnoughts and cruisers) so that GB and Russia would DOW me, since its hard work justifying all of those CBs. Even when I was #2 in military (with BB only approaching 100 at the time) they still wouldn't launch a containment war against me.

I tried to leave my military score low by not building capital ships (my entire navy was only 30 transports until I got dreadnoughts and cruisers) so that GB and Russia would DOW me, since its hard work justifying all of those CBs. Even when I was #2 in military (with BB only approaching 100 at the time) they still wouldn't launch a containment war against me.
There are many reasons around why the AI doesn't start wars. The most important aspect on GP wars is money (btw, the AI learned to realize, that a awesome fleet only protects you from getting conquered, if there's no common land border - also AI learned, that you'll need a strong enough ground army, time and money to win major wars) - mostly because there's lots of territory involved, you need awfully long till you're able to force peace, and if you get bankrupt on the way, a war can turn heavily against you - you can have 100k of good modern day Yankee infantry - without ammunition they probably would get beaten by 75k medival soldiers.

(日本帝国大東阿共栄圏, Nippon Teikoku Daitoua Kyoueiken)

You conquered Manchuria but not Korea, interesting.

I tried Nippon the other day and I got incredibly frustrated, I was able to westernize before 1860 however I tried to invade Johore, and then releasing Korea but was cockblocked by the UK and Russia, leaving me with two wars, ships lost, soldiers death, and nothing to show for it...

This has probably been posted a million times but this was my first attempt at Greater Germany:

HFB6Xa2.jpg

After forming Greater Germany, you basically are self-sufficient on RGOs alone...

I went a little HoI on Europe... This is with forming Greater Germany in 1840. My infamy was over 300, but somehow I only fought one war of containment. France is annoyingly difficult to eradicate.

2013-03-31_00001_zps92ad68bd.jpg

Wasn't in HoI Germany is supposed to
a.) be fascist
b.) annexes Austria and Czhechoslovakia
c.) puppets Netherlands, Belgium, France and Poland?

I was referring more to the infamy aspect of it and not really caring who tried to stop me. I tried to keep the empire alive as long as possible but I caved from getting nation-wide Communist/Jacobin revolutions literally every 6 months. I never see fascists mount any kind of serious revolt in this game, which I guess is fairly historical but I would like to see countries falling to them a little more often.

You conquered Manchuria but not Korea, interesting.

I tried Nippon the other day and I got incredibly frustrated, I was able to westernize before 1860 however I tried to invade Johore, and then releasing Korea but was cockblocked by the UK and Russia, leaving me with two wars, ships lost, soldiers death, and nothing to show for it...

You have to attack Johore early, preferably the first thing you do in the game, as they start Cordial with GB. Similarly, the reason why I never attacked Korea was that they were too well protected - a puppet of China, then sphered by Russia, and I couldn't be bothered to try to unsphere them. Your best hope of taking out Korea is either to unsphere them first, or wait for them to collapse to Reactionary rebels, which also breaks their puppet status. But I ought to try to destroy Korea sometime - in the two games I've played they've always westernised and become a SP, pretty impressive for such a small country.

I took Primorye for the simple reason that I received the free Place in the Sun CB, it was near the end of the game, and I wanted to see if I could fight UK and Russia at the same time =) If the AI had held out for another year after I blitzed UK's African colonies, I would probably have lost to the overwhelming numbers flooding into my territory from Russia and India.