• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I recently finished off a game playing as Japan. They're a really easy country to play as, but I always enjoy it. I decided to try and have a more pacifistic game this time around, and rather than conquer china, then the world, just do some light colonizing and build up a major industrial base and strong economy.

It worked out pretty well. By the end of the game I had the #2 Industry, #2 military, and #1 prestige. Some fun things going on in the map:
Almost zero major government overhauls. Everyone save Austria-Hungary are Constitutional Monarchies. Austria-Hungary decided to shake things up and go communist. Germany formed exceedingly early in this game. Right off the first unpause, Prussia went to war with Austria and seriously smacked them down. NGF was formed, Austria was decimated and collapsed, and Germany basically just cleaned up. They went to war with France several times, eventually slicing off a chunk of Normandy, and blowing Belgium apart in the process. With everyone else occupied, the Ottomans were free to colonize the hell out of Africa with little interference. Ethiopia was a little firecracker this game, taking on and beating Egypt twice. They were much larger prior to this map being made, but lost ground to the Ottoman Empire.

Around 1880 Russia invaded the Ottomans. In a nice turn of events England and Germany backed the Ottomans, France backed Russia, leading to the games one and only "real" great war. Italy joined in and was completely leveled by the Ottomans... It was the first and only game I've ever seen the Turks annex territory from the Italian peninsula. Germany beat up France one more time, and Great Britain swallowed up Alaska.

In the America's, pretty much business as usual, except for the USA actually declaring one (and only one) war against Mexico and grabbing some territory, right before the civil war started. The US horrifically lost the civil war, and the Confederate states are still clinging on to a little slice of the east coast. I've never played the US or the Confederates so I don't know the mechanics, but I found it odd that not all of Florida went to the confederates.

UPCA Stuck around as per usual, Bolivia lost the war for the pacific, and Chile disappeared under an odd wave of Argentine aggression.

All in all, it was a pretty good game!

Last but not least, a more zoomed in and stylized view of 1936 Europe, from the British perspective.

WOW. You put a ton of effort into that, those maps and graphics are amazing.

I just finished a really weird The Netherlands game:
1936-1939 France gets spanked by almost everyone around, I allied myself with Britain, to have a chance against them (they try to take Dutch Guyana almost everytime), they brought in turn Spain and the Ottomans in, while Prussia, Austria and Russia decided it was time to liberate Prussian Alsace-Lorraine.
The British invaded some colonies, while the others completely defeated French armies on the continent and made separate peace treaties, which left me with the UK alone but also with a three military strength France, so I swiftly occupied almost all of continental France and made an Humilate&Algiers&CutDown separate peace, while the UK later decided to eat french madras.
The next one to get spanked was NGF, France recovered, changed alliances, and declared war right in the middle of an Austrian-NGF war, in which Russia was involved, that ended with Ostpreussen&Danzig to Russia, Schlesien and Niederbayern to Austria and Rheinland and Alsace-Lorraine to France. NGF never recovered and later lost a minor war against me, while I tried to free Prussia (really odd, you can free Prussia from NGF :wacko:).
A relatively quite time followed till 1880, with only a few colonial wars going on and the ACW (won by the Union).
By 1880 a period of 35 (!) years of constant world war followed, we had a total of 23 Great Wars, in which The Netherlands was on the winning side everytime, and in the 4th of them I decided to break the infamy limit, taking some stuff in the USA, while freeing California and New England. Since then the Yanks kept to have continuing problems with a mixture of Fascists, Communists and Anarcho-Liberals. Somewhere around 1895 a Confederate Rebellion was successful, and the CSA once again arose. As part of these wars, I dismantled both UK and France, and balkanized Europe.
After 1915, I was the only real great power on the world, so out of boredom, I did nothing to prevent a Communist uprising, so I've gotten commie by 1936.
commonwealth_of_the_netherlands-map.jpg

commonwealth_of_the_netherlands-end.jpg

Now that looks like an exciting game! Was the UK devoured by yourself and Spain, from the looks of it? Also, is that a partially united India I see?

I recently finished off a game playing as Japan. They're a really easy country to play as, but I always enjoy it. I decided to try and have a more pacifistic game this time around, and rather than conquer china, then the world, just do some light colonizing and build up a major industrial base and strong economy.

It worked out pretty well. By the end of the game I had the #2 Industry, #2 military, and #1 prestige. Some fun things going on in the map:
Almost zero major government overhauls. Everyone save Austria-Hungary are Constitutional Monarchies. Austria-Hungary decided to shake things up and go communist. Germany formed exceedingly early in this game. Right off the first unpause, Prussia went to war with Austria and seriously smacked them down. NGF was formed, Austria was decimated and collapsed, and Germany basically just cleaned up. They went to war with France several times, eventually slicing off a chunk of Normandy, and blowing Belgium apart in the process. With everyone else occupied, the Ottomans were free to colonize the hell out of Africa with little interference. Ethiopia was a little firecracker this game, taking on and beating Egypt twice. They were much larger prior to this map being made, but lost ground to the Ottoman Empire.

Around 1880 Russia invaded the Ottomans. In a nice turn of events England and Germany backed the Ottomans, France backed Russia, leading to the games one and only "real" great war. Italy joined in and was completely leveled by the Ottomans... It was the first and only game I've ever seen the Turks annex territory from the Italian peninsula. Germany beat up France one more time, and Great Britain swallowed up Alaska.

In the America's, pretty much business as usual, except for the USA actually declaring one (and only one) war against Mexico and grabbing some territory, right before the civil war started. The US horrifically lost the civil war, and the Confederate states are still clinging on to a little slice of the east coast. I've never played the US or the Confederates so I don't know the mechanics, but I found it odd that not all of Florida went to the confederates.

UPCA Stuck around as per usual, Bolivia lost the war for the pacific, and Chile disappeared under an odd wave of Argentine aggression.

Last but not least, a more zoomed in and stylized view of 1936 Europe, from the British perspective.

Beautiful maps Mondo.

I swear MondoPotato, I need to be mentored by you or something. I want to make maps like these for some of my games.

Mondo, those are some sweet maps. Shierholzer, it's nice to see a fellow world spanning Dutch Empire. Although mine typically ends with the libs in power of an HMS Gov and all of the East Indies being Dutch States. :D

WOW. You put a ton of effort into that, those maps and graphics are amazing.
Awesome graphics, I'm a fan!
Beautiful maps Mondo.
Mondo, those are some sweet maps.

Thanks guys!

It does my heart good to see a successful (read: not Balkanized) Ottoman Empire. They usually collapse spectacularly in my games.

No kidding. Usually the Ottomans just wither and die. I was pleasantly surprised to see them not only hold on, but maintain their great power status and grow. I think being chummy with Germany, plus the collapse of some other European powers let the Ottomans slide nicely into the power vacuum.

I swear MondoPotato, I need to be mentored by you or something. I want to make maps like these for some of my games.

If you ever need any tips, let me know!

Last edited:
Nejd annexing Abu Dubai and OE annexing Hedjaz? Interesting; I wonder how the Turks got Hedjaz out of their sphere...

Nejd annexing Abu Dubai and OE annexing Hedjaz? Interesting; I wonder how the Turks got Hedjaz out of their sphere...

Nejd actually annexed the African possessions from Oman as well, but they didn't hold them for long. I'm not sure what the deal was with the Ottomans and Hedjaz. They were eaten by the Ottos in 1897, but I wasn't paying a lot of attention to Europe.

Ergh, I'm going to try so hard to make something like that eventually.

Seriously, how do you even do that?

I think someone already said that, but : Wow, nice maps!

You used which software?

The first map was done in gimp. It's just the base map screenshot with an extra splash of detail. The second map is actually the crusader kings 2 map. I used Wilber to to touch up the ck2 height map, then gimp to draw the borders, etc.