• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Who in their right mind would say that Austria would ever join Germany willingly, even though it's got its own empire thing going on? The point is, YOU FORCE THEM TO. Whether they like it or hate it is irrelevant; you force them to accept it. How did the Manchu conquer China? They did they go 'Oh hey you guys? You wanna join our state or what?'. Probably not the best example, but the point is that they're not joining willingly. When you've occupied the whole country, you get to make the rules. This is also how robberies work; when you're faced with a gun, you simply do not have a choice. It's not like you want to give some dude your money, but the alternative is... well, there's no alternative, that's the point.

And this would be conquering or at least some kind of war. Not diplo-annexing like it is now.

And this would be conquering or at least some kind of war. Not diplo-annexing like it is now.

Right, diplo-annexing. You do know that the only way to do this is to occupy every single one of their provinces until they get so destroyed that their military and industrial scores drop to 0 and they drop out of GP status. That's not what I would call diplo-annexing, nope. You *cannot* diplo-annex them, unless someone else has annihilated them and made them drop out of GP status (highly unlikely, since they're extremely durable and quite strong), but that's a different situation altogether.

Last edited:
Right, diplo-annexing. You do know that the only way to do this is to occupy every single one of their provinces until they get so destroyed that their military and industrial scores drops to 0 and they drop out of GP status. That's not what I would call diplo-annexing, nope. You *cannot* diplo-annex them, unless someone else has annihilated them and made them drop out of GP status (highly unlikely, since they're extremely durable and quite strong), but that's a different situation altogether.

It is, anything short of a war to add them to Germany is diplo-annexing. Its not like after a war, which destroyed all their factories, they will just go along with it. Also, why would Germany want the rest of the Austrian Empire?
They also should be much easier to make drop out of gp.

There should be a CB that forcibly destroys all factories... I want to do that.

The assumption is that if Austria loses GP status, then something has gone horribly wrong with the Habsburg monarchy (if it even is a monarchy anymore). Furthermore, if Austria loses GP status and then ends up in the sphere of Prussia, then it's being dominated like the German minors. Again, something has gone horribly wrong. It's not like the decision is set up so that Emperor Franz Joseph and his advisors wake up one morning and say, "You know, we're one of the most powerful countries in the world. Let's join with Prussia for no reason at all. I mean, I like giving up my powers as monarch, and the other Great Powers will no doubt think that a German super-state is a great idea. What could possibly go wrong."

The catch is that there are gamey ways of pulling Austria out of GP status (Prussia too) that last just long enough to fire the decision. And since the decision is set up so that no infamy happens, it's kind of an exploit when a human does it.

The logic of the decision isn't a problem. It's the gamey way you can kick Austria out of GP status AND not raise the eyebrows of the AI GPs.

I release I have created a semi-shitstorm here, sorry.

I formed my Germany by declaring war on Austria on day one for asserting hegemony. I then fought a defensive war for a while until taking the advantage and captured Vienna, which was enough. I have read several posts which have said you should occupy Austria for at least a year to smash them, but my army was too disorganised and the Austrians were about to counter attack.

Next (pure luck) I was amazed to receive an alliance request from UK, and they helped me with my French war. After forming a largest possible NGF, I had a massive army reform and thus, when Austria fell into rebellion I invaded and didn't make peace until they fell from GP status. As soon as making peace I formed Germany.

I'm not sure if this could ever have happened. I had very good relations with the UK, France had been defeated twice and was rather tied down, Russia seemed strangely uninterested (I made really easy peace) and the same for the Turks. I don't actually know what the Austrians felt at this time in history, but I guess in the event there would be at least some civil unrest from "pro-Germans" and "pro-Austrians" in the former Austria. Perhaps Austria could be given privileges like Bavaria was, which would be something.

The Russian Empire 1861-1936

Finished my Russia game, goal was to maintain my absolutist monarchy and establish greater control over regions of the world. Sweden, Romania, Holland , Ottoman Empire, Persia, Egypt, Xinjiang, Mongolia, Manchuria, Japan, Afghanistan were my spherelings more or less throughout the game (some of the empires became great powers, while some returned to my sphere after they fell out). Lucca was my puppet state, and Tibet was my foreign territorial holding.

Skjermbilde2012-06-10kl042841.png

V2_MAP_RUS_193611_1.jpg

V2_MAP_RUS_193611_2.jpg

The game went swimmingly with a few fascist and and communist revolutions that were easily put down that is, until the last two years of the game. I actually didn't think a great war would break out due to the solid lock in diplomatic relations europe had, but when I declared war on China to free the Xinjiang state (thus giving me entry to Tibet and to suppress the imminent threat of China becoming a great power) - France and Germany (China's allies) came to her aid, I called in UK, Holland, Ottoman Empire, and Persia (Austria being my ally as well couldn't join due to a truce they had with France). The standoff wast pretty cut and dry despite my awesome military power - Most of my troops were already at the borders of China so German and French troops pushed through the Polish principality and into the heartland taking my capital and other major cities pretty unopposed (the few armies that were stationed out west were annihilated by German death stacks). Ultimately I lost the war having exhausted all my troops both professional and mobilized to the Chinese comeback and the French/German advance. Several nationalist rebellions began to spring up all over along with a massive Fascist uprising. My guess is that had this happened earlier I would have witnessed a fractured Russian state with a possible revolution toppling my monarchy in favor of a fascist one.

Great War -
Skjermbilde2012-06-09kl233718.png

Interestingly the Brits sent troops to my northern shore to make landings and assist in slowing (if not stopping) the German onslaught.

Boxer Rebellion -
Skjermbilde2012-06-06kl225611.png

This happened shortly before China civilized (it was considered to me the second great Chinese war (as we had a previous war to cut them down to size), most of the major powers rallied behind me on this one - Japan (also a great power) had its own seperate war with China and gained a state on its mainland.

The "Losers" -
Skjermbilde2012-06-06kl203929.png

Skjermbilde2012-06-06kl203912.png

Skjermbilde2012-06-06kl203848.png

The nations that were beaten down pretty badly. Bolivia faced constant threats from Brazil and Argentina until it was reduced down to a one state nation. Thailand was completely pulverized in a war the UK led against it with Holland, and Spain midway through the game.

Italy was the most interesting I think, considering that it unified by 1861 and then fell apart again as a 'failed project'. It started with them allying with me initially and then declaring war on Austria shortly thereafter (a war I refused to participate in) - after losing that war it simply went downhill. Lucca was freed and obtained territories for the state it resided in, part of southern Italy was handed over to (then) Northern German Federation, the other south regions rebelled and went back to the Two Sicilies, France ate the middle part while freeing Papal States again as its buffer state, and the Sardinia region was split in half between Sardinian nationalists and France. At one point Italy was a single province state (Turin) so it got pretty bad for them.

One nation not posted here was Denmark, they were completely removed from the map, the NGF annexed all of Denmark and even gained cores on it - resulting in later wars between Sweden and Germany for ownership.

Other developments in game:
  • Denmark and Italy were the only revolutionized communist states.
  • Germany didn't complete its unification until 1904.
  • The Great War started in 1934 and ended midway through 1936.
  • My Russia built the Suez.
  • France built the Panama Canal.
  • The UK did not colonize any part of Africa (aside from the remote islands to its east.)

Good game.

this is my first full greek game with the PDM mod.

i69xtl.jpg

it was tough,I was confused.I ended it soon cause of all the lag.I was so pissed that didnt want to waste time taking screenshots.i finished 12th though i was 9th once.I never managed to grab anything out of the O.E from war cause they were always allied with the U.K and the Netherlands at the same time and my sphere leader Italy would either sphere them when they are weak or be in a war with Germany when I need their help.oh well.This has to be my biggest africa ever (though this my 5th full victoria II game)

Finished my first game as Denmark in AHD just now.
I had a lot of trouble with the Prussians and Austria because of Schleswig-Holstein. In the end I had to cede it to the Austrians to be able to survive.
Sweden tried to backstab me a few times together with the Netherlands, so I took the first opportunity I got to make my revenge upon them, more precisely when Russia declared war on Sweden and after the Netherlands went bankrupt.
I built up my industry and eventually got to become a Great Power. I colonized parts of Africa, built the Panama Canal and sphered some countries (The Netherlands, Colombia, Krakow, Portugal among others).
Even though I never managed to beat the Russians or the Austrians to form Scandinavia, the game went fairly well I think and I had some great fun trying to survive the initial onslaught.

s3g84m.jpg

iftxrl.jpg

8z1xsw.jpg

ZWxRf.jpg

This is my first full game of any grand strategy ever. I played as Sweden -> Scandinavia and it was a blast. This picture was at 1926 which was the last save I had. I played til '36 but nothing really interesting happened in that decade.

When I started the game as Sweden I thought getting Finland from Russia was going to be the hardest part since Russia starts really strong and scary right next door. It took two out of the three Great Wars in this world to get Finland back (one to liberate the north, one to liberate the south) but by the end of the 2nd Great War Russia was so weakened that I was able to get south Finland then some from the Ruskies. Denmark was the hard part of unification though. Early on in the 1840's Denmark got totally dived between me, Prussia, and Belgium. I got Jylland, Belgium got Sjælland, and Prussia got Schleswig-Holstein and Iceland & Greenland. After wrecking Russia in two Great Wars me and France had to occupy all of the NGF to liberate Schleswig-Holstein and Iceland and I had to wait for Danish nationalists to create Denmark out of Belgian Copenhagen so I could sphere them. I didnt unify Scandinavia until the 1910's. After that it was smooth sailing as my industry and literacy scores went through the roof. For some reason I could never fully industrialize as Sweden, my industry stayed around 12th place for most of the game. Especially after getting Schleswig-Holstein and South Finland though I switched to laissez faire and was able to climb up the industry ladder.

COUaA.jpg

I colonized a good portion on Africa, that started with me capturing Egyptian Dumyat specifically to spite the English and the Americans who were playing sphere games with each other to build the Suez. This ended up as a huge asset as my African holdings gave me almost as many soldier POPs as my low population homeland. I also ended up building the Panama canal but released Panama as a one-province state to burn some infamy.

In world news Austria became Austria-Hungary while the British had a huge hard-on for the central region of Austria (No idea why) and occupied it for most of the game. Belarus and the Ukraine broke from Russia in the 1910's after Russia's militaries were neutered following my Great Wars against them. Russia was able to re-annex the Ukraine to re-gain its GP status though.

China westernized late in 1920 and was #2 for all of six months until a UK/Japan coalition screwed them over and dropped them down to #12. **

3BhRL.jpg

Peru ate Bolivia and became rather big.

xnVau.jpg

Mexico was able to hold California against the US and for some reason got only half of Idaho that was always occupied by rebels.

gbR30.jpg

6wEnv.jpg

8Px9a.jpg

Looks like a very intresting campaign. There are some things I never see in my campaign; Like Portugal connecting it's african colonies, Ottoman Caucasus and Great Britain eating a big part of China ( and with actually nice borders!). Also looks like France was quite strong in that game too. Very nice empire also! Perhaps you can get the baltic states from Russia before the game ends for them perfect borders :D

AHD 2.31 no mods, Serbia FTW!

I start the game focusing on culture and literacy (I reach 90% avg literacy at one point), in the late 1870s I start to industrialize and research military techs, in 1880s I take my cores from Austria-Hungary (AH was almost occupied by rebels and Italy declare war on him, I send my only stack directly to Vienna, captured it, and get my peace offer. The acquisition of new provinces significantly increased my power (both soldier pop and mobilization pool).

In mid 1900s, after teching up to 25 mil tech, allied France, and take south Serbia from the sick man of Europe. Battles aren't that hard due to my tech superiority and good generals (+6 defence +3 attack!) In 1912 the Ottomans think they can win and try to retake Southern Serbia from me, the result is this...

I think I have finished my game goal, that is, to make Serbia a secondary power and grab all cores back. I don't think I can form yugoslavia without some sort of luck...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I only have 3 naval techs, but who cares :p In 1914 Serbia fields the most advanced army of Europe and is culturally, economically and industrially advanced.

Last edited: