• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
29lh121.jpg

The day Greater Germany was formed.

Shouldn't there be a plan to reclaim that small worthless island from the UK?

I'll never get used to Germany being able to eat Austria-Hungary and create Großdeutschland.
And I don't even bother paying attention to people recommending beating an AI controlled France anymore.
I'm really no fan of Großdeutschland in Vic2 and the HRE in EU3.
It feels like it's the Paradox version of kids dressing up like Son Goku or Naruto and pretending to smash everyone with their effortless cheat powers. The historical German Empire (+colonies) looked cool, the rest (starting with the annexation of Austria) not so much.

I'll never get used to Germany being able to eat Austria-Hungary and create Großdeutschland.
And I don't even bother paying attention to people recommending beating an AI controlled France anymore.
It feels like it's the Paradox version of kids dressing up like Son Goku or Naruto and pretending to smash everyone with their effortless cheat powers. The historical German Empire (+colonies) looked cool, the rest (starting with the annexation of Austria) not so much.

Aye. German Empire + Austria/Sudetenland, but no further if you ask me. Otherwise it just looks so stupid and so ridiculous that there isn't even a point. Whatever the practical gains are, they just aren't worth looking that blobby.

I don't see the problem. Austria could've easily been part of germany. You do realise that a. they speak german and b. hitler was from austria and actually did the whole germany + austria thing in ww2? The only reason they didn't join was that they had their own thing going on and they had no interest in joining Prussian Germany under Prussian rule. They could've easily formed Germany themselves really, it just didn't happen.

I don't see the problem. Austria could've easily been part of germany. You do realise that a. they speak german and b. hitler was from austria and actually did the whole germany + austria thing in ww2? The only reason they didn't join was that they had their own thing going on and they had no interest in joining Prussian Germany under Prussian rule. They could've easily formed Germany themselves really, it just didn't happen.
Yes, and as for the Non-German lands in the Austrian Empire being part of the German Empire, it is no more strange than the Non-Russian parts being part of the Russian Empire or Non-Turkish parts being part of the Ottoman Empire. The people already lived in a German state, so the difference would be small. It would also be strange for the Habsburgs to give up their non-german lands just because they managed to form Germany.

Yes, and as for the Non-German lands in the Austrian Empire being part of the German Empire, it is no more strange than the Non-Russian parts being part of the Russian Empire or Non-Turkish parts being part of the Ottoman Empire. The people already lived in a German state, so the difference would be small. It would also be strange for the Habsburgs to give up their non-german lands just because they managed to form Germany.

This is wrong for so many reasons. First of all, the organization of the German Empire was so different from the Russian Empire and the Ottoman Empire that they can't be compared in this way. Especially the Ottoman Empire, which NEVER was a national empire like the Germans, but instead was a Muslim empire. The uniting factor for the people(if there ever was one in an essentially feudal state) was not whether or not they were Turkish, but entirely their religion.

The Austrian Empire already had enough trouble from its sidelined minorities, adding more Germans to the mix wouldn't have helped that. Not that it even matters, because the deciding factor in the Austrians not joining Germany was that the Austrians already had an empire. An empire that they fully controlled. Why would they ever give that up? There is literally no situation where they would have been ABLE to form a German Empire with the lands of the Austrian Empire included and as long as they have a powerful Austrian Empire, there is no reason they would ever give that up for a German Empire where they would be far less dominant. Even the King of Prussia had to give some concessions to Saxony and Bavaria to get them to join. Look at it from the Hapsburg OR Hohenzollern point of view. From either of them this is a complete impossibility. The way it happened historically wasn't a random chance as much as what was bound to happen by the 1860's.

So, when Germany forms, the austrians go 'HEY LETS LET THEM BE FREE' and voila, the non-german states are gone? If Austria joins, then the whole damn thing joins. Let's be reasonable, they would *not* under any circumstances give up these lands. Saying 'oh no Austria wouldn't join' is silly too. Have you actually played the game as either Prussia or Austria (or as any german state really)? Austria will NOT join Germany unless they've been obliterated. They won't join willingly, but they will, if forced to. It's not like it's a matter of choice. Do try to understand the real nature of the situation. Assuming that, as Prussia, you've destroyed Austria in order to sphere and annex them, to become Greater Germany, then: a. Austria is no longer a Greater Power and joining is not up to her and b. if you get Austria to join, the whole damn thing should join. I don't see how you could ever argue against this. I do understand this whole weird 'oh my gosh, oh no, but bohemia and hungary aren't a part of germany, oh my!' but the thing is that, German or not, these states were under Austrian control; once Austria comes under German control, so will all her dominions.

Oh and... you're sort of killing your own argument by saying that the Ottoman empire was based on Islam, seeing as most of its Balkan possessions weren't Muslim. What keeps an empire together is the strength of its leadership and its ability to protect and/or expand it. Saying that 'a Muslim Empire' like the Ottoman one was (according to you) can have Christians under its control, but the German Empire can't have non-german possessions is inconsistent.

This is wrong for so many reasons. First of all, the organization of the German Empire was so different from the Russian Empire and the Ottoman Empire that they can't be compared in this way.
As there has never been any Great Germany, we don't know how it would be organised. How would it be different with a multicultural Empire with a German king than a multicultural Empire under the Russian Tsar?

The Austrian Empire already had enough trouble from its sidelined minorities, adding more Germans to the mix wouldn't have helped that. Not that it even matters, because the deciding factor in the Austrians not joining Germany was that the Austrians already had an empire. An empire that they fully controlled. Why would they ever give that up? There is literally no situation where they would have been ABLE to form a German Empire with the lands of the Austrian Empire included and as long as they have a powerful Austrian Empire, there is no reason they would ever give that up for a German Empire where they would be far less dominant. Even the King of Prussia had to give some concessions to Saxony and Bavaria to get them to join. Look at it from the Hapsburg OR Hohenzollern point of view. From either of them this is a complete impossibility. The way it happened historically wasn't a random chance as much as what was bound to happen by the 1860's.
Sorry if this was not clear enough, but I ment a German Empire that Austria fromed, not Austria joining the German Empire. In this case they would have full controll over it.
I agree that the minorities in the Austrian Empire would not like being part of a German Empire, but i don't think they would object more to it than being under Austrian rule. For most minorities in the Austrian Empire, life would go on the same as before. The King would still be German, the goverment would still be German etc.
Some might not like it and rebell like what happend in the Austrian Empire, but this would be much later like what happend in real history.
Also: If Hungary or any Non-Austrian lands would claim independece from the Austrian Empire after the Austrian Empire forms the Greater German Empire, the newly formed German Empire would declear war on them and probably win like what happened to Hungary in real history, thus making all the lands of the Austrian Empire part of the newly formed Greater German Empire.
But this could only be if the Austrian Empire forms the German Empire, not if Prussia forms it.

Some of my old V2 games (All non-AHD, and I don't want to gravedig)

3fx.png

Austria-Hungary, August 1861 (modded to have a red colour, game was abandoned due to V2 being disrupted)

Finally someone who played Austro-Hungarian Empire without forming the @%#¤&! German Empire, It's just so boring to play big super powers nowdays, more fun to play small nations and struggle to survive.
I also which they add a tech into the game that allowed me to make a damn Steam tanks in 1860

Yeah, I left Prussia to it's own devices and declared the Austria-Hungary empire.

Some of my old V2 games (All non-AHD, and I don't want to gravedig)

3fx.png

Austria-Hungary, August 1861 (modded to have a red colour, game was abandoned due to V2 being disrupted)

Am I the only one that noticed England in Normandy? This is one of the most awesome (if not the most awesome) things I've ever seen... hundred years war 2.0!

Am I the only one that noticed England in Normandy? This is one of the most awesome (if not the most awesome) things I've ever seen... hundred years war 2.0!
Just when the French thought that the English were their friends... But not that strange after all, the British King/Queen did after all use the title King of France untill 1801.
Would be nice with a restoration CB on France in the game if you manage to get a Absolute Monarchy back in the UK.

So, when Germany forms, the austrians go 'HEY LETS LET THEM BE FREE' and voila, the non-german states are gone? If Austria joins, then the whole damn thing joins. Let's be reasonable, they would *not* under any circumstances give up these lands. Saying 'oh no Austria wouldn't join' is silly too. Have you actually played the game as either Prussia or Austria (or as any german state really)? Austria will NOT join Germany unless they've been obliterated. They won't join willingly, but they will, if forced to.

Unless, of course, they were beaten in a massive war. VIP modelled Grossdeutschland by releasing the Kingdom of Hungary (And Galicia?) as puppets. More to the point, the German nationalists within Germany would have rejected the inclusion of Hungary within a German Empire because, well, the Hungarians ain't Germans.

I personally like to make a distinction between Grossdeutschland (Germany+Austria+Bohemia), Grosserdeustchland (Grossdeutschland+Puppet Hungary) and Hyperdeutschland (stupidly antihistorical Grossdeutschland). Grossdeustchland should probably cause infamy to increase to a massive level, and the others should cause it to blast straight through the threshold.

Yeah, and at one point, Germany was actually basically dissolved by Me, Russia and France, until they came back and threw us all out. I lost control of the Saxony province sadly, but I did manage to keep control of parts of Poland and Silesia.

France got the shit beat out of them by England in the 1850's, and they lost Alsace-Lorraine to Preussen, who got the shit beat out of them from about 1854 to 1861.

K.u.K. Austria would have never joined Germany under Prussian rule, only if the capital was in Vienna and even then it would have madness transforming that into the very complicated political field that was the Austrian Monarchy with all it's dukedoms.
More likely would have been if they tried to annex Bavaria, as they did once, when they tried to trade it with it's ruler for Belgium. Prussia intervened obviously and it ended in a stalemate.
All I'm saying is that there would be nothing more complicated than trying to annex the former ruler of the HRE into a prussian controlled Germany... very very unlikely, I'd even say impossible, in EU3 terms...

K.u.K. Austria would have never joined Germany under Prussian rule, only if the capital was in Vienna and even then it would have madness transforming that into the very complicated political field that was the Austrian Monarchy with all it's dukedoms.
More likely would have been if they tried to annex Bavaria, as they did once, when they tried to trade it with it's ruler for Belgium. Prussia intervened obviously and it ended in a stalemate.
All I'm saying is that there would be nothing more complicated than trying to annex the former ruler of the HRE into a prussian controlled Germany... very very unlikely, I'd even say impossible, in EU3 terms...

What would stop Germany from annexing Austria if they overwhelmed the Austrian military? Not like they have much bargaining power after losing a war.

Who in their right mind would say that Austria would ever join Germany willingly, even though it's got its own empire thing going on? The point is, YOU FORCE THEM TO. Whether they like it or hate it is irrelevant; you force them to accept it. How did the Manchu conquer China? They did they go 'Oh hey you guys? You wanna join our state or what?'. Probably not the best example, but the point is that they're not joining willingly. When you've occupied the whole country, you get to make the rules. This is also how robberies work; when you're faced with a gun, you simply do not have a choice. It's not like you want to give some dude your money, but the alternative is... well, there's no alternative, that's the point.