• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chlodio

Field Marshal
On Probation
56 Badges
Aug 26, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • March of the Eagles
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Hi... Few months ago I bought Europa Universalis III Chronicles and after that I have played many campaigns and mods. I have had many vassals close and far away, strong and weak, long-time and short-time, but still none of them didn't turn against me. Here is one example; one time in MPM I was Italy and I had Burgundy as vassal and no land connection. They had their own CoT and they were rich, they also had nice size armies still they didn't turn against me.... Why? Why is AI so stupid? I also tested some stuff and it seems like vassals only declare their independence only when they are stronger than mother country I'm right?

I had a few times in which Vassals insulted me and 1 eventually breaking away.
That country was, however, still weaker than me. In terms of Size, military and such. No idea why it broke away in the long run.

But yeah, Mostly they are loyal like they should be!

Not necessarily Castile was originally vassal of León and duke of Castile turned against León and earned their independence.

I had a few times in which Vassals insulted me and 1 eventually breaking away.
That country was, however, still weaker than me. In terms of Size, military and such. No idea why it broke away in the long run.

But yeah, Mostly they are loyal like they should be!
'

Sure it wasn't as personal union? no vassal has ever broken from me I think, maybe because of religious changes.

Not necessarily Castile was originally vassal of León and duke of Castile turned against León and earned their independence.

I know :p But I doubt the AI will sent itself to its death.

'
Sure it wasn't as personal union? no vassal has ever broken from me I think, maybe because of religious changes.

The only PU I ever managed to get was inherited in one month.
It was one of my first games though, so I might be wrong.I know it declared war at me when I got attacked by several other nations. :(

Vassals should be -imo- a lot more rebellious and break away when they see their chance clear.

They could use the PU treatment (Meaning a tendency to insult you if you're weaker than them) but that would make keeping several vassals a bit problematic after long wars.

Vassals should be -imo- a lot more rebellious and break away when they see their chance clear.

I think the problem is that they would see their chance when you're engaged in a sufficiently large war, but if they're large and strong enough to think they can break away, you're probably calling them in to participate in those wars.

The one time I had a vassal break away, I was playing as Morocco and had recently released a fairly sizable Guyenne as a vassal. I started a massive war with Emperor Austria and half the HRE and had left Guyenne out to let them burn WE and recover legitimacy, but when the fighting got brutal they thought they could make a break. They got steamrolled by vassals Castille, Aragon, and Portugal instead.

I think their rebelliousness should also be determined by how you vassalized them. Force vassals should have a big malus to yearly relations plus a maximum amount it can be (say 0), which would also prevent them from being annexed later. Diplomatic vassals should be friendly and not really inclined to break away (after all, they agreed to it). Other factors can/should also be used, such as size/economy/power/religion/culture/etc. Other possibilities would include the option to install a puppet government which can maintain high relations but gets hit with stab problems for a long while (a big vassal continuously at -3 stab and/or lo legitimacy if monarchy will generally be too busy quashing rebels to be of much use to you unless you proactively intervene).
EDIT: Mainly this is b/c I have never once had a vassal turn, no matter how big/small. I always drag my vassals into my wars since for me its fun to watch the vassal swarm siege while I do real fighting.

I think their rebelliousness should also be determined by how you vassalized them. Force vassals should have a big malus to yearly relations plus a maximum amount it can be (say 0), which would also prevent them from being annexed later. Diplomatic vassals should be friendly and not really inclined to break away (after all, they agreed to it). Other factors can/should also be used, such as size/economy/power/religion/culture/etc. Other possibilities would include the option to install a puppet government which can maintain high relations but gets hit with stab problems for a long while (a big vassal continuously at -3 stab and/or lo legitimacy if monarchy will generally be too busy quashing rebels to be of much use to you unless you proactively intervene).
EDIT: Mainly this is b/c I have never once had a vassal turn, no matter how big/small. I always drag my vassals into my wars since for me its fun to watch the vassal swarm siege while I do real fighting.

Vassals are good for lazy people.

They could use the PU treatment (Meaning a tendency to insult you if you're weaker than them) but that would make keeping several vassals a bit problematic after long wars.

Which is a good idea. In the boardgame there are random diplomatic upheavals which can even de-annex minors which have been conquered but not explicitly removed from the game.

The reason vassals almost never break free from players who know what they are doing is that aligned vassals never break free, and vassals won't voluntarily break an alliance.

-Pat