• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was watching "The Pillars of the Earth" a while back, and it made me realize not only, that there seems to be very little in a way of even the most basic economical management and administrative gameplay in CK, but that we're also lacking is a system of events, decision, or some other mechanic that would connect the ruler of the lowest tier to his land. Something to give us a little influence over how are the people in our own, little patch of the Land doing.

Initially I thought, if possible, that it would only be natural to give those options to a Count. After all, it is he(or a she), who presides over the area as the embodiment, and representative of the King's law. It's for him to make the decisions regarding any given issue on this smallest, of administrative tiers. If, for instance, a local city, and a rich castle town, would compete for the right to hold an annual fleece fair, and were unable to resolve the issue themselves, they would come to seek wisdom in your court, sooner or later, giving you an option to give the rights to either party, for a given amount of modifiers, let's say +10% tax income, (if there are any trade modifiers... I'm sure that the actual moders will handle themselves just fine - I, didn't even play the game yet) some small cons, and temporary +/- 20 relations with the mayor and the baron you've helped/screwed over, naturally.

Little things like that, could make the experience even more engaging, and certainly help you feel like as their immediate ruler, you have a degree of control, over your subject's well-being. You could also, let's say, pay a small sum to organize a grand festival, or sponsor the renovation of the local abbey, for a small bit of piety (Count's should be able to get it in their own, unique way somehow too) and relations buff with the abbot. Now that you mention courtiers, why not add barons (given that someone would like to make a mod enabling us to play as them, and if it's even possible) to this Brady Bunch, giving them even closer impact into their people's lives.

What do you think? ( And does any veteran of the preview version knows anything about the actual possibilities for counts as they stand now? How do I summon Secret Master again? )

-Morgan

2 year necro. Is that a record?

Happy Anniversary!

And I would like to be able to start the game landless and forge my own dynasty as well.
And being able to start an invasion to take back your land would also be interesting.

As old as this thread is, I think it's indicative that this is a feature that many players have wanted for a long time.

They did kind of do this with the whole adventure host wars. The problem is people want things added into the game and as soon as it happens people bitch about why they added something into the game.

What I would love to see is for the 'no lands = game over' mechanic to be removed, and a whole bunch of events / plots / decisions / ambitions being added to give enough gameplay to non-landed roles that it's possible to play as a courtier and try and become a landed dynasty. Or a baron/mayor for that matter.

This came from a conversation with my mate that feels you should be able to start as a custom dynasty, and I said I felt that giving lands to a non-historic dynasty would fly in the face of the historically accurate start dates.

How much UI modding is possible in Paradox games? Would be cool, though I'm not sure / doubtful if it's possible, to be able to start as an unlanded courtier in any county, and type your own dynasty name in. You'd have a whole bunch of events associated with the various jobs, chancellor, spymaster and such to keep the player busy (having to make decisions in events relating to your assassination missions as spy master, or trying to fabricate claims as chancellor), and other events / decisions relating to every day courtier life, effectively being Blackadder in Blackadder the Second, trying to curry favour with the ruler and engineer the situation where they could rise in status, in the meantime they would still be getting married, raising children and keeping their dynasty alive all the while trying to get a count, duke or king to give them a landed title.

Obviously this could only go so far as a mod, I guess beyond making events / plots / characters and other things I've spied in the data files I don't have much knowledge as to the moddability of the engine. I know the game uses lua but how much, if any, is exposed to modders? I've not seen any game mechanic code anywhere and it seems to mainly be data.

I've already discussed this to an extent:

It's not dreaming too much if we talk of members of formerly Great Houses going into exile, as already happens in the game (they're just unplayable). It's fully logical and realizable, and would make the game quite a bit more interesting.

While I cannot imagine implementation of either landless characters or even landed lowborn lords, 'cause that's precisely what CK2 is not (it is a highborn feudal simulation), but one interesting thing comes to mind. HoI3 features a Government-in-Exile system.

Just like that, for sheer gameplay reasons, the game should not end if all major lands are lost. It means that the player should be able to continue playing as a landless character, or a barony-tier (small) lord - normally a temporary provision (just like everyone predicted it would be).

It would make the game slightly more interesting and introduce the aspect of being able to survive invasions or some nasty adventurers. You have been deposed and your crown is held now by a Norse adventurer? You have fallen to an Islamic invasion? No problem, with someone pressing your claim you can get back right on feet.
Things simply cost money so this should naturally make sense only with someone who has a stash of cash bringing with themselves. There could e.g. be a special event after the war score crosses -75% to steal the Gold from the treasury i.e. start evacuation?

Yes, but if I understand well HoI3 offers a unique gameplay even with those basically impossible to survive, by allowing countries such as Poland or Yugoslavia to have governments-in-exile thus continuing even beyond the occupation.

That's why I think that a game in CK2 should not end if the player loses all counties. Let's imagine he is a King of Jerusalem; he is extremely pious (meaning he has support of the Roman Catholic Church) and a character of very high prestige (meaning everyone would want him on his side). AND, let's say he has some 400 gold pieces remaining. It only serves logic (and historicity) to go in exile in a foreign court, and attempt to get back the player's claims. If there are the means to do so, they should be possible. It'd also remove some of the very annoying early-endings and make it not game over if your tiny realm is holy-warred or Mongol-invaded.

It works jut fine within the game mechanics (The Republic, or as I've noticed some mod solutions e.g. Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen in the GoT), it is about great lords (and not lowborn) who can with their treasury (in exile?) do quite a lot.

Anything else doesn't seem very feasible (theocracies, baronies and landless characters)...though when it comes for the last, it might be interesting to start as a rich claimant (with perhaps a sizable retinue, that he can expand through technology/events/decision?) from a Great House in a court, rather then just not making that an option to just evade a game over after all counties are lost...I guess that it does open up some natural possibilities that are along the line of what was asked (i.e. having just a barony or smth similar).

Playing as a courtier would be pretty dull, IMHO. Usually just sitting around hoping the monarch takes an interest in you.
*facepalm* He's exactly pointing out that that is the case, but he wants to make it more interesting by modding it in.

I have thought a lot about this, and I think the only way to currently make it work is have a patrician-like mansion as your starting title. Even though CK2 allows a lot of more modding than other games, the exact things I want most aren't possible at all, and that's mostly due to hardcoded stuff.