+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Courtier Mod idea

Courtier Mod idea

What I would love to see is for the 'no lands = game over' mechanic to be removed, and a whole bunch of events / plots / decisions / ambitions being added to give enough gameplay to non-landed roles that it's possible to play as a courtier and try and become a landed dynasty. Or a baron/mayor for that matter.

This came from a conversation with my mate that feels you should be able to start as a custom dynasty, and I said I felt that giving lands to a non-historic dynasty would fly in the face of the historically accurate start dates.

How much UI modding is possible in Paradox games? Would be cool, though I'm not sure / doubtful if it's possible, to be able to start as an unlanded courtier in any county, and type your own dynasty name in. You'd have a whole bunch of events associated with the various jobs, chancellor, spymaster and such to keep the player busy (having to make decisions in events relating to your assassination missions as spy master, or trying to fabricate claims as chancellor), and other events / decisions relating to every day courtier life, effectively being Blackadder in Blackadder the Second, trying to curry favour with the ruler and engineer the situation where they could rise in status, in the meantime they would still be getting married, raising children and keeping their dynasty alive all the while trying to get a count, duke or king to give them a landed title.

Obviously this could only go so far as a mod, I guess beyond making events / plots / characters and other things I've spied in the data files I don't have much knowledge as to the moddability of the engine. I know the game uses lua but how much, if any, is exposed to modders? I've not seen any game mechanic code anywhere and it seems to mainly be data.
    Last edited by lemmy101; 02-02-2012 at 16:58.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Lemmy, how on Earth did you get the new CKII icons????????????

I wish it meant I had the release version of the game. ;D

I did a preview for CKII and I preordered CKII, so I had a forum code on GG to type in here. Tbh I assumed anyone who'd preordered CKII would have it, if not then must be because of that. Means nothing though. I'm watching LPs of the beta on CKII and seeing all the changes from the version I played and getting jealous. Roll on 14th

Man, I want those icons too!~

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hopefully Steam would put the game on pre-order tomorrow so I can buy the damn thing.

He probably got a preview copy.

Anyway, a nice idea. However, I'm not sure it will be possible to implement.
    Is there any moment in history where a country attacks another country because their allied with a country that is at war with a country that is the first countries ally?

Nationality: Ashkenazi
    Religion: Agnostic
    Ideology: Social-liberal
    Issues: Secularism, anti-militarism, Interventionism, full citizenship.
    Cash Reserves: N/A
    Revolt Risk: 50%
    Militancy: 3
    Consciousness: 10

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Could be excellent if you could implement it. A game within a game until you reach level of count.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

"There is no joy without Clan Donald. There is no strength to be without them!"

Quote Originally Posted by lemmy101 View Post
    I wish it meant I had the release version of the game. ;D

I did a preview for CKII and I preordered CKII, so I had a forum code on GG to type in here. Tbh I assumed anyone who'd preordered CKII would have it, if not then must be because of that. Means nothing though. I'm watching LPs of the beta on CKII and seeing all the changes from the version I played and getting jealous. Roll on 14th
    GG doesn't have codes up for me and others, thought it looks like they are setting it up to release them as it says "Unused serial keys" next to the game name. Still, it's cool being able to see them on your posts

Quote Originally Posted by lemmy101 View Post
    What I would love to see is for the 'no lands = game over' mechanic to be removed, and a whole bunch of events / plots / decisions / ambitions being added to give enough gameplay to non-landed roles that it's possible to play as a courtier and try and become a landed dynasty. Or a baron/mayor for that matter.

This came from a conversation with my mate that feels you should be able to start as a custom dynasty, and I said I felt that giving lands to a non-historic dynasty would fly in the face of the historically accurate start dates.

How much UI modding is possible in Paradox games? Would be cool, though I'm not sure / doubtful if it's possible, to be able to start as an unlanded courtier in any county, and type your own dynasty name in. You'd have a whole bunch of events associated with the various jobs, chancellor, spymaster and such to keep the player busy (having to make decisions in events relating to your assassination missions as spy master, or trying to fabricate claims as chancellor), and other events / decisions relating to every day courtier life, effectively being Blackadder in Blackadder the Second, trying to curry favour with the ruler and engineer the situation where they could rise in status, in the meantime they would still be getting married, raising children and keeping their dynasty alive all the while trying to get a count, duke or king to give them a landed title.

Obviously this could only go so far as a mod, I guess beyond making events / plots / characters and other things I've spied in the data files I don't have much knowledge as to the moddability of the engine. I know the game uses lua but how much, if any, is exposed to modders? I've not seen any game mechanic code anywhere and it seems to mainly be data.
    If could pull off you can play as Norman knight fight for Sicily or Eastern Roman Empire, hell knighthood could mean somthing are character could be come grandmaster to order

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Love this ideea! Suport it to 110%

Paradox hear me! We whant a dlc/expansion that adds events and things to do while playing a courtier or Baron etc. and obviusly make it so you can play without atlest a count title.

Also we whant to be able to create custom dynasties for ourselfes.

Now make it so! in a few months or tops a year lol

This is a great idea.

In crusader Kings i totally plan to never reload and take my family through the whole time period in good times and bad.

It would be great to have a story of losing your duchy, but instead of dieing you go to another court and allow them to use your claim to but you back in your rightful place. From there you plot the demise of the usurpers. I hope they will fully consider this for and expansion.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

i think you can play as a baron, just like you can be a muslim or pagan, but only if you end up that way through normal gameplay. i might be wrong but a barony is still a landed title and some can be very powerful

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight

Quote Originally Posted by takedown47 View Post
    i think you can play as a baron, just like you can be a muslim or pagan, but only if you end up that way through normal gameplay. i might be wrong but a barony is still a landed title and some can be very powerful
    I think I heard the contrary "that you gett end game" if you dont control a county or higher(cant remember where tho). But I hope that you are right!

Bleeding for Harder Styles Arko's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the Throne
    MagickaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

baronies where created to add some gameplay to counts that lacked some in ck1.
    so i doubt playing those in ck2 should be very enjoyful.
    membre du Réseau Gamers et Stratégie, tout sur CK2&EU4 en français

Les 3 Tours / The 3 Towers : an economical and medieval flavour mod -NEW-
    ARKOpack Armoiries & Interface : a CoA and Interface mod
    La Pléiade : Europa universalis IV (vraiment) en français !
    Member of H.I.P : Historical Immersion Project

Mini MODs is the answer !

Crusader Kings IICK2: Holy Knight500k club

Playing as a courtier would be pretty dull, IMHO. Usually just sitting around hoping the monarch takes an interest in you.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Barons aren't playable. It has been stated several times by the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogia View Post
    It would be great to have a story of losing your duchy, but instead of dieing you go to another court and allow them to use your claim to but you back in your rightful place. From there you plot the demise of the usurpers. I hope they will fully consider this for and expansion.
    *cough* A game of thrones *cough*
    Is there any moment in history where a country attacks another country because their allied with a country that is at war with a country that is the first countries ally?

Nationality: Ashkenazi
    Religion: Agnostic
    Ideology: Social-liberal
    Issues: Secularism, anti-militarism, Interventionism, full citizenship.
    Cash Reserves: N/A
    Revolt Risk: 50%
    Militancy: 3
    Consciousness: 10

What would courtiers do all their lives if they have low stats?

Wait a second, hear me out on this one.

What about playing as a mercenary leeder? (acording to "Darrigan" the guy who is writing the Napoli AAR) the mercenaries will declare war on you if you cant pay them and they will steal your land, this wold be fun to do(if actualy AI can go bankrupt from mercenaries). So if the limit to having to own a pice of land is removed then this wold probably be some fun gameplay :P

I was watching "The Pillars of the Earth" a while back, and it made me realize not only, that there seems to be very little in a way of even the most basic economical management and administrative gameplay in CK, but that we're also lacking is a system of events, decision, or some other mechanic that would connect the ruler of the lowest tier to his land. Something to give us a little influence over how are the people in our own, little patch of the Land doing.

Initially I thought, if possible, that it would only be natural to give those options to a Count. After all, it is he(or a she), who presides over the area as the embodiment, and representative of the King's law. It's for him to make the decisions regarding any given issue on this smallest, of administrative tiers. If, for instance, a local city, and a rich castle town, would compete for the right to hold an annual fleece fair, and were unable to resolve the issue themselves, they would come to seek wisdom in your court, sooner or later, giving you an option to give the rights to either party, for a given amount of modifiers, let's say +10% tax income, (if there are any trade modifiers... I'm sure that the actual moders will handle themselves just fine - I, didn't even play the game yet) some small cons, and temporary +/- 20 relations with the mayor and the baron you've helped/screwed over, naturally.

Little things like that, could make the experience even more engaging, and certainly help you feel like as their immediate ruler, you have a degree of control, over your subject's well-being. You could also, let's say, pay a small sum to organize a grand festival, or sponsor the renovation of the local abbey, for a small bit of piety (Count's should be able to get it in their own, unique way somehow too) and relations buff with the abbot. Now that you mention courtiers, why not add barons (given that someone would like to make a mod enabling us to play as them, and if it's even possible) to this Brady Bunch, giving them even closer impact into their people's lives.

What do you think? ( And does any veteran of the preview version knows anything about the actual possibilities for counts as they stand now? How do I summon Secret Master again? )

-Morgan
    'Ello there Gov', my love and dove.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast