• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hardcore_gamer

General
47 Badges
Aug 1, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
In vanilla V2 I remember the capitalist AI being so bad that using a free market economy where only capitalists can build factories wasn't worth it. Has this changed in AHD? Is it actually possible to leave the economy to the capitalists now and have an economy that is good or even great?

L-F was/is not that bad in vanilla V2, particularly in the recent patches. Capitalists are a lot smarter about what they do.

In AHD it's probably even more competitive due to costs apparently being much steeper for increasing state control over factories.

Indeed. In relative terms, LF is much better in AHD. Capitalists still make some mistakes of course, but nowhere near as many and an LF goverment can often have the highest industrial score.

The downside is, you can't invenst in other countries to get more influence?!

Yup, that is a downside. also, you (obviously) can't decide which factories you have, but the NF to encourage industry types will work better now. It really depends exactly what you wish to do at a given point in the game. I wouldn't recommend LF until you have some industry already built.

I try to get an L/F government in power when I play... Its just worth so much the benefits you get from the capitalists.

I try to get an L/F government in power when I play... Its just worth so much the benefits you get from the capitalists.

For my style of gameplay, the major drawback is not economical, in fact if I want to focus on economic development I go LF. But liberal parties tend to be anti-military, so I have less soldiers. NF usually compensates, but of course this means you can't use them elsewhere. It's all about strategising...

The big change is that you can now finance their projects, so the early problem about "kickstarting" the economy are gone.

Considering factory construction, it is still better to cherrypick the ones you want in the state and switch to L-F afterwards.
But at least you can now cancel factories that are being constructed, so if your capis build a bad factory, you can srap it instantly.

That said, L-F is definately a valuable thing now and much, much better than in vanilla.

What are the actual benefits in AHD? Can you elaborate a bit?

What are the actual benefits in AHD? Can you elaborate a bit?

Factories running under L/F are a tad bit more profitable..

+25% output efficiency is HUGE! especially when most techs affect throughput instead.

I think interventionists and liberals are fairly balanced now. As interventionist you can close crappy factories, invest in better ones, redirect workforce, subsidize cool factories through a crisis, set hiring priorities, that kind of control gives you enough advantage to make up for smaller output of liberal economies.

If intervention party has jingo, I'd rather not go for liberals too early.

Factories running under L/F are a tad bit more profitable..

+25% output efficiency is HUGE! especially when most techs affect throughput instead.
Okay, that IS massive. :)

edit: One big downside is lack of foreign investment, though.

State capitalism is still awesome, but to build up an industrial base imho it's wise to invest in pop projects. And then sometimes switch to State capitalism to build up a liquor industry, a electric-parts economy, a synthetic-oil/fuel economy and radios. After LF hardly can do anything wrong - And I really like it to upgrade all industries with shift click ( note : is extremely expensive and need lots of machine parts and cement )

I prefer state cap to start my economy and switch to L-F or interventionism once it is running.
:)