• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This thread inspired me to try a Kongo game, thanks a lot for wasting half an hour of my life staring on my laptop wating for any random events to come by :angry: In fact it was so boring, I even was happy when a comet showed up...

It will probably take a century before I can even advance a tech, and that is with awesome advisors . And I need 2 techs for an idea.

Without national ideas, the only way for me to get colonists is to pray tothe Great Tortoise for the CoT to appear in my only costal province. I was actually this lucky once and then it reverted to some interior country. Hell, even Loango would have better chances, as it would occupy precisely this province.

Without colonists, I cannot do anything. Sure, I could kill off the naties in discovered provinces, but it only prevents me from using the only way to clear off future colonists (via spy missions) and it's totaly useless without your own colonists.

Summing it up, it's nearly impossible to conquer one province, never mind the whole world!

You should be able to advance in tech , as I had govt 4 in my cherokee game when I was discovered by Burgundy and Hansa ...

What in a kongo WC game then?

Still played them for some years, but decided not to continue it. Anyway here is my opinion about what you should do :
Release loango. This province is poor, and you got core on them.
Use Goverment advisor, and possibly trade advisor. You may also use Military advisor. If you do - you can get gov tech 2 in about 20 years, and it is same with tech and military i think.
Don't make army. Disband any units you got. You need cash for advisors, and anyway, you won't defeat the rebels. If you got particularist rebels - R&R - resign & reload. You need to be centralized.
When you got gov tech 4 - take +1 colonist NI, and annex loango. Do an army and disband advisors, take +colonist chance advisor, and take +colonial growth. And remember that you should have some cash, if you need mint. You need lot of money now, as colonization is hard process. Anyway - you should make colonies as fast as you can. If you meet europeans, and ur ready for westernization - westernize. And stop colonization for the moment, as you need to regain stab and try to get western. Remember also that you can take resist western influences, as you don't need to NOT have it to next westernization step, and it helps to get it, because it give revolt risk reduction, helping you to live long enough to westernize. Anyway if you can build forts before westernization, better do it.

Actually in my game as Kongo I was almost sucesfull in making it to the next tribe. Disbanding the army is not good, much better tactic is to send them to an uncolonised province, so they fall to 0 men (ghost army) and if you set funding to 0 they won't grow back. Then it is easy to quickly and cheaply build the army back again.

My tactic did not work out too well, as I have summarised it in the raaaaage thread yesterday, but later it actually allowd me to gain a province, and that was after an extreamly unlucky game.

The key is to have a CoT in Loango. If you are not extreamly lucky for it to shift on it's own, ammass 500 ducats, kill off the CoT in your other province and build it there. Now for a decade or so you will get colonists, allowing you to have a try in colonisation.Pick the province to the north, after all you want to colonise your way up. Important: If colonisation fails, reload, or you will lose about 30 years! When the colony grows, you won't recieve any $, but it's all right, do not cut on the colony costs. Each time you have 500 ducats and the CoT is not on the coast repeat the process, untill you border other tribes - then it's just conquest and waiting for Europeans, like any other sub saharan game with an easier country :)

Now, what could go wrong? Only 2 things. The first one is anninhilation by Euros before time. Basically nothing can be done about that. The other, even more frustrating thing, is if your CoT dissolves, your merchants get redirected to Alexandria AND Alexandria does not have 400 ducat value. In this way your only choice is wating for it to increase in value, and having a cursor on a procince in the trade mode with the fastest game speed is like looking on the stock exchange :p

One more thing: IF succesfullyt using this tactic, the only time you should have any expences is when your colony is growing or when you rebuild your army to clear off natives from the province you will be colonising next. So no advisors or any maitenance.

Last edited:
you said wc is almost Guaranteed as Ryukuyu, and how is that even possible without the mod? :)

Not me i did not said it, i sad WC is possible.

One question: All of you have the "no end date" mod when you are talking about wc, right? I mean, you can´t claim a wc is "guaranteed" without the mod, or can you? :S (I am an expirienced player, but I never have played with mods)

You said it. Anyway there are ways for every country for WC. There are only just thing that some are much harder than others.

Actually in my game as Kongo I was almost sucesfull in making it to the next tribe. Disbanding the army is not good, much better tactic is to send them to an uncolonised province, so they fall to 0 men (ghost army) and if you set funding to 0 they won't grow back. Then it is easy to quickly and cheaply build the army back again.

I agree on this point, it may save you a lot of money. Anyway it may mean fighting big groups of natives which is not easy.

My tactic did not work out too well, as I have summarised it in the raaaaage thread yesterday, but later it actually allowd me to gain a province, and that was after an extreamly unlucky game.

The key is to have a CoT in Loango. If you are not extreamly lucky for it to shift on it's own, ammass 500 ducats, kill off the CoT in your other province and build it there. Now for a decade or so you will get colonists, allowing you to have a try in colonisation.Pick the province to the north, after all you want to colonise your way up. Important: If colonisation fails, reload, or you will lose about 30 years! When the colony grows, you won't recieve any $, but it's all right, do not cut on the colony costs. Each time you have 500 ducats and the CoT is not on the coast repeat the process, untill you border other tribes - then it's just conquest and waiting for Europeans, like any other sub saharan game with an easier country :)

Now, what could go wrong? Only 2 things. The first one is anninhilation by Euros before time. Basically nothing can be done about that. The other, even more frustrating thing, is if your CoT dissolves, your merchants get redirected to Alexandria AND Alexandria does not have 400 ducat value. In this way your only choice is wating for it to increase in value, and having a cursor on a procince in the trade mode with the fastest game speed is like looking on the stock exchange :p

One more thing: IF succesfullyt using this tactic, the only time you should have any expences is when your colony is growing or when you rebuild your army to clear off natives from the province you will be colonising next. So no advisors or any maitenance.

I think my strategy is more reliable - you just tech up to gov tech 4, and get 1 colonist per year. In 10 years you double or triple your territory. Also it cost less money. If you release Loango, you gain from it more than you loose. I would even advice to sell 1 or 2 provinces to them. As they will be your vassal, they bring you income and force limit, and you have lower tech cost, which saves you much time. Also you can dissmiss any advisors when you want. Add to this that loango can make some ducats yearly and monthly. Also you should produce as much advisors as possible to gain free money from them. Your strategy is to gain 1 province per 30 years, my is to gain 1 tech level per 20-30 years, or maybe faster if you manage to sell province to loango.

Perhaps the different spproaches come from a different game version - in IN, you cannot chose the advisors you hire (and hoping for a few lucky gov tech ones is unrealiable). It said that I will have gov tech 2 in about a century when I placed my whole treasury in this area, so that's why I took this strange strategy :p

OF course with the advisor on demand system, things get entirely different...

Re: Ryukyu

It's certainly possible to get a Ryukyu WC without mods; thats what The Three Mountains achievement is for, and I know some people have obtained it.

I agree, game version make difference, but still, if you got gov advisor you should go the way i showed you.

Here a screenshot why:

kongol.jpg

you said wc is almost Guaranteed as Ryukuyu, and how is that even possible without the mod? :)
I think that's what I said. What I mean by "almost guaranteed" is that there is a strategy (actually more than one) that will lead Ryukyu to WC unless something extremely unlucky happens. The only "extremely unlucky" scenario I can think is having no ruler to westernize for something like 100 years. Even then it's probably possible to do WC (without westernizing), but it's likely to be hard, so I'm not sure about that. Another possibility is that your early army (in the first armies) gets clobbered by some rebels in Khmer lands. With the latest patch you could also sit quiet for a while - it doesn't look like AI will attack you anymore (as long as you are in Ming's SoI)

Also, I'm not convinced at all that WC is possible with _every_ country.
Are you thinking about any particular country? Here by "possible" I understand in the case of somewhat favorable developments (not getting annexed outright and in the case of primitives not getting a massive European invasion (like Europeans landing 40-50K troops on you in 1470)).