• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It depends on how blobby Burgundy is and whether or not it has a core on you (the Burgundy in my game is HRE, ate half of France, and raped every single blob in Europe except for Poland, which is busy snaking). From my experience, even royal marriage and military access doesn't prevent invasion. Also, if you have a vassal, the A.I. would declare on the vassal to wiggle out of the stab hit from a direct DoW (which is retarded).

Well, if you are Holland you got a responsability to help France crush Burgundy (or to help anyone crushing Burgundy). You are in his hitlist after all.

Although if you are their first mission, you are screwed.

Well, if you are Holland you got a responsability to help France crush Burgundy (or to help anyone crushing Burgundy). You are in his hitlist after all.

If you mean your overlord, HAI? Not at all, that's the best case scenario. Just remember to cancel the alliance before you unpause. BUR doesn't usually go after you, until it's done it's missions. By then, hopefully you've got a good ally or two. And, hopefully, your helping FRA (or ENG) take out BUR has been fruitful (can be a bit risky, though).

If you mean your overlord, HAI? Not at all, that's the best case scenario. Just remember to cancel the alliance before you unpause. BUR doesn't usually go after you, until it's done it's missions. By then, hopefully you've got a good ally or two. And, hopefully, your helping FRA (or ENG) take out BUR has been fruitful (can be a bit risky, though).
France was royally screwed at the start, so it wasn't really in a good position to beat Burgundy anyway. Even if it was, I was stuck in the PU for several decades until Hainaut was annexed. I consider it quite suicidal to intervene in any wars against Burgundy at the early stages of my game. And.. when it did eventually knock on my doors despite good relations, I already jumped off the continent.

I don't get why everyone says this. I've never seen a Holland mission for Burgundy (Have for Great Britain though)

And there is no mission in mission list on wiki. And I've never seen Burgundy take Holland.

They're referring to the "Annex (or subjugate, forget which it is) Hainaut" mission, which, if you didn't cancel the alliance, should cause you to get dragged into the war (never played a junior partner in PU so I don't know whether you can decline CtA as a Junior, though I'd say that's mighty gamey if it let you).

Burgundy should be a feudal kingdom with a gathering of the "Staten - Generaal", or whatever it's in french, it received much oppression from it's non-burgundian lands who all wanted to protect their independance and feudal rights.
If at all, the best way to present burgundy would be to have all the non-burgundian states republics in personal union ( not possible ingame ), and normal PU is too underpowered, maybe they should be vassals as well, french were in a better position of power at the time than burgundians, it wasn't until the Habsburgs came there that they went spaceballs on everyone's ass.

They're referring to the "Annex (or subjugate, forget which it is) Hainaut" mission, which, if you didn't cancel the alliance, should cause you to get dragged into the war (never played a junior partner in PU so I don't know whether you can decline CtA as a Junior, though I'd say that's mighty gamey if it let you).

Yeah, but who wouldn't cancel that =p.

Ottomans could REALLY use an A.I only buff. I gave them one that gives them more taxes, manpower, and much better combat stats that really helps them out. As a player I find the usually gang never bugs me.

Any mod, plz ban this spambot and delete his post?

France was royally screwed at the start, so it wasn't really in a good position to beat Burgundy anyway. Even if it was, I was stuck in the PU for several decades until Hainaut was annexed. I consider it quite suicidal to intervene in any wars against Burgundy at the early stages of my game. And.. when it did eventually knock on my doors despite good relations, I already jumped off the continent.

That is why you warn burgundy and do everything to stop them from doing anything.

Noone mentioned Poland yet as underpowered? In 10/10 games I've played they get eaten by Bohemia. They have too few provences, and the AI just will never found the Commonwealth. They tend to drag out the first war with the Golden Horde, untill Lithuania collapes and then the union will end due to negative prestige.

Noone mentioned Poland yet as underpowered? In 10/10 games I've played they get eaten by Bohemia. They have too few provences, and the AI just will never found the Commonwealth. They tend to drag out the first war with the Golden Horde, untill Lithuania collapes and then the union will end due to negative prestige.

It's still about human players. I mean Poland has Lithuania as it's bitch. And can easily get 2 more bitches start of game.

It also has core missions on 3 provs.

Poland is one of the strongest countries in 1399, not overpowered but not underpowered either.

I don't think this makes sense. A notable set of events in countries history is the effect of unexpected changes: revolts, great leaders coming and going, bad harvests. Starting conditions are quite important, and geography and demography probably critical, but by no mean all that there is. Let us live with the randomness of (simulated) human nature.

Imagine the Ottomans without those 5 good rulers? Or the Hapsburg without the love power?

I would say these seeming "luck" factors are actually not really luck, but the strength of underlying institutions, geopolitical situations, economy, etc....On the other hand, seemingly strong nation that disintegrated shortly after few failures, however massive they were, -- such as Burgandy or Hungary-- were probably not strong at all. Ottoman in its heyday could bounce back from many failures she had.

Anyway, I second that Burgundy is way overpowered, at least if it manages to take Bar. I would say it needs to be more decentralized (and loose some of its cores/missions), or make Flanders the lesser partner in PU in 1399. Although Burgundy did control the most wealthy part of the world back in time, its degree of control over its domain was very low. Prussia around 1750, on the other hand, was not the most populous or prosperous state. However, its administrative apparatus and military was unmatched in its capability and efficiency, allowing it to fight 7 years wars (BTW, Frederick the great is way too overrated, IMO -- but then, people tend to see heroes instead of underlying forces). Currently, EU3 does not simulate this very well.

About OP, I would say Castile, GH, Timurid, England, Algeria, Austria, and Hansa are overpowered. Actually, I don't think Ottoman is underpowered -- rather, the problem is with other game mechanics. Most notably, AI nations have way too high capacity for operating overseas, allowing England to send its stacks into Asia Minor (and vice versa). Given the abundance of crusader droppings in her area (and the web of alliances, guarantees, spheres, and DoF), it tends to drag OE into problems with more far European majors than they should. Adding hordes and opportunistic Turkish minors, it is a recipe for disaster. In fact, OE was perfectly fine back when there was no guarantees.

I forgot to mention, but being HRE emperor is way overpowered. Fortunately, it is easy to tone it down via mods...

Oh, and France was overpowered historically -- at least, after it managed to consolidate its control over modern-day France and began its quest for becoming the centralized, absolute monarchy.

In fact, govt types should be far more influential (and restrictive) than it is now. Time to make a mod, I guess.

Last edited:
OPed nations: Castile/Spain. if the latter forms youre pretty much looking at conquering the NW instead of colonizing. Novgorod/Muscovy: either of these bad boys get the proper cores for Russia Asia is doomed. Sooner or latter the green blob will eat them. France: See term: Chainsaw on legs. Seriously France is that oped. Especially as the game drags on. Burgundy: See term: Rape. Burgundy is HRE. If It becomes the emperor, France is dead. of course it becomes France then you're just simply doomed.

Underpowered: Any Horde minus the Golden Horde. They die quick and are good for fast land grabs. The Golden horde just needs.....maneuvering that only the Russian winter can bring to beat it. Any north African power. The Turks in general. Muslim nations once half of Europe gets qftnw or if you're anywhere near Castile. See North African power. Ming. India's laughable excuse for nations in vanilla DW. Poland-Lithuania in general. 4000+ hours of game-play have taught me that Poland-Lithuania Dies far more often then people are willing to put up on the forums. Either by the Golden Horde or by the HRE. It. Will. Die.

From my recent playthroughs (all from player perspective, ai has known performance problems)-haven't played Burgundy in DW but based on ai results would lean towards extremely OP.

Overpowered:

1) England-Highlanders event nontwithstanding, it is waaaaaaay too easy to beat down the Auld alliance, eat the northern half of France, and laugh your way to victory plus one of the 2 strongest colonial nations in the game. Not hugely OP based on the historical results though, after all they did end up as the dominant world power at the end of the game's time frame

2) Castille-Current mechanics make it laughably easy to unite Iberia, also one of 2 strongest colonial nations, easily defended border against your only significant land threat. If the ai could deal with rebelliousness at all they would be the dominant power in nearly all playthroughs.

3) Holland-No two province nation should be this easy to dominate with. Stupidly rich provinces, great sliders, protected from all but 1 significant nation near it by the emperor, no one has missions/cores on you, pretty easy to colonise with. What's not to like?

honorable mention:

TO-thought the game was gonna be challenging but it really wasn't. As long as you deal properly with your imperial holdings (either join HRE fully or get out fully but don't stay half/half) you should be able to handle any but the worst case alliance of your neighbors. Easy expansion into Russian minors, then later Poland and Lithuania (due to tech advantage) plus nearby horde lands to keep you occupied while waiting for opportunities to gobble your targets for eventually forming Germany.

Ottomans-Would be on the overpowered list if they could better project power into central/western Europe. Can easily dominate their neighborhood and with smart tactics can hold off indefinitely the indiscriminate ai DoWs they receive from the west while expanding to the east and south with laughably little opposition. If they get good rulers and can westernise early enough to not fall significantly behind the HRE powers in land tech (although it is more about shoring up other areas than the land tech since you pretty much have to dump all in to land to keep up) the player can curb stomp everything in sight. The ai OTOH cannot play them worth a damn for a number of reasons. Key note: before unpausing change the NI to military drill, you can't really afford to raise the extra armies plus MD gives a lot more bang in the early game anyway.

Underpowered:

France-too fractured at the start, too many opportunistic neighbors of significant power-most of whom have cores and/or missions against you. The player can handle the situation although it promotes somewhat cheesy tactics (release vassal/dow) to outright cheating (multiple diploannex on same day). Lately I've seen a marked tendency for the ai BBB to go nowhere but down. In my last 2 games (Sweden, Muscowy) they got reduced to OPM or eliminated by 1500. They also got hammered badly in my Cherokee game (were a 2pm when I discovered Europe in 1600 or so. It's been 7 or 8 playthroughs since I saw an ai BBB really go anywhere and that was my Milan/Italy game and in that game they came to a screeching halt as soon as I didn't need them to counter Austria any more and broke the alliance.