• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd like Persia or somesuch, or ANZAC/New Maori Nation. At my parents, with shoddy internet, so no long intro and such. The GM is free to choose between my to states.

The Sikhs, as much as any other martial race, have always proven faithful to the Raj. It is rather not suggested that they desert us in the midst of this Second Mutiny... :eek:

Also, having devoured the novel, I can confirm that not even Britain was able to afford a naval expedition back to the Home Islands before 1900. No nation should start with naval projection abilities, though they could have one by Turn 2 if they focus every IP to that effect; furthermore, it certainly sounds like they are not automatically left behind like in the previous Imperium. First turn expansion sounds like a bloody massive gamble.

Yes, but there is a difference between sailing between India and Britain and sailing between Indonesia and Siam.

OOC: so do we have a way to capture neutral lands? How about 'spending' an army, to simulate founders and running out locals? Otherwise we can just walk across them. This way the map isn't full on turn 5, and expansion is a thoughtful decision which must be balanced with war.

Also: I asked before where the borders of regions/territories are, but perhaps it would be better if there was a (larger?) map with more clear borders. I can see the regions/territories on the colored sections, such as in Europe, where regions/territories seem to be rather small. So is my nation comprised of one? Two? Four? I can't see, especially with that paint over it.

Last edited:
OOC: so do we have a way to capture neutral lands? How about 'spending' an army, to simulate founders and running out locals? Otherwise we can just walk across them. This way the map isn't full on turn 5, and expansion is a thoughtful decision which must be balanced with war.

Also: I asked before where the borders of regions/territories are, but perhaps it would be better if there was a (larger?) map with more clear borders. I can see the regions/territories on the colored sections, such as in Europe, where regions/territories seem to be rather small. So is my nation comprised of one? Two? Four? I can't see, especially with that paint over it.

OOC: I think we can conquer netural lands with our armies, though like I said I'd like to be able to do it other ways too.

Don't know what you mean about the map, the borders seem perfectly distinct to me. Perhaps if you zoom in on the image you'll see them better?

All nations start as one territory AFAIK.

I can't see borders, and zooming in doesn't help, it only makes it grainier. Don't know why that would be however. Perhaps make a bigger one in a spoiler, with thicker darker borders?

Le Temps Nouveau

Emperor Meets With Muslim Leaders
HIM received a delegation of prominent Muslim chieftains, scholars and religious figures today in an effort to ease tensions between them and the recent emigres. Though the meeting was private and confidential, the Emperor addressed questions from the public and press afterward.
"My Imperial father spoke often and fondly of the native peoples of this land" His Imperial Majesty said. "My experience has proven him mistaken; they are even more noble and virtuous than he ever let on."

Emperor Napoleon III took several major steps to attempt to help the native people and protect them from exploitation by the colons. Most notable were the strict limits he placed on the expansion of French settlements and the offer of full and equal citizenship to Muslims who accept French law. But many conservative Muslims feel that gaining French citizenship requires them to abandon too many Islamic customs, and the late Emperor's policy of breaking up tribal lands into individual parcels had the effect of speeding, not stopping, their appropriation by settlers.

Emperor Napoleon IV has sought to balance his father's promises of equality for natives with the needs of the nearly two million emigres. He has resisted calls for the military to take direct control of tribal lands, causing many grand colons to feel that he is placing the burden of feeding the populace entirely on their estates. For their part, many muslims have balked at the demands for food and other resources the regime has placed upon them.

The Emperor repeated his statement that like his father, he aspires to create a rouyaume arabe, an Arab kingdom within the French Empire. For his part, Abd Al-Kedir, a former rebel leader pardoned by Napoleon III, expressed a sentiment held by many natives. "If all Frenchmen were like the Emperor, we would have naught to fear but God."

Rationing Board: Situation Improving, Shortages Still Likely
The Imperial Rationing Board revealed its forecasts regarding the Empire's supply of food and other essentials today. While the overall tone was optimistic, the board warned against complacency and confirmed that rationing will likely remain necessary for several years to come.

Improved agricultural methods and stabilizing weather are credited with a dramatic increase in wheat yields this year. Combined with an improved railway system and more efficient distribution system, authorities are confident that there will be enough bread to go around.

But due to limited local production, and the long process of establishing new vineyards, wine will likely remain rationed for as long as ten years. Even after the quantity of wine is adequate, vinophiles expect that it will take generations for quality to reach pre-Fall levels.

Baron Haussmann to Head Urban Improvement Board

Imperial authorities confirmed the long-expected appointment of Georges-Eugène Haussmann, 1ere Baron d'Oran, as head of the Urban Improvement Board. Baron Haussmann is most widely remembered for his dramatic, often controversial, reconstruction of Paris, though he also served as a Bonapartist Senator from Ajaccio.

Haussmann has spoken publicly on the urgent need for new sanitation and water systems for the Empire's cities. Places like Algiers and Oran had only a very basic infrastructure before the Fall, which has proved largely inadequate to support the influx of new residents. Crowded living conditions and unclean water are largely blamed for an outbreak of cholera in Constantine last year. An investigation by physicians led to a series of recommendations, which in turn spurred the Emperor to creat the Urban Improvement Board.

"It is my sincere belief that the cities of Africa can be made every bit as sanitary, safe and comfortable as Paris was." Baron Haussmann told Le Temps. "It will be neither easy, nor cheap, nor swift work, but I am confident that it is well within our power to achieve, even in these times of hardship."

While Baron Haussmann would not discuss any specific projects, he confirmed that water and sanitation would be the first priority. Following that will be new housing blocks in suburbs linked to the chief cities by passenger rail lines, and replacing narrow, twisting byways with straight, broad, tree-lined boulevards.

I'd like Persia or somesuch, or ANZAC/New Maori Nation. At my parents, with shoddy internet, so no long intro and such. The GM is free to choose between my to states.
Persia would be most helpful to the game right now.

OOC: Well, if Deaghaidh gets to, I get to. Another thing: A.W. is a journalist, VB is Visible Best, HH is Hold Holder- pretty much a mayor; an elected Better, if not a Visible Best.

TRAGEDY STRIKES CARSONHOLD
The revered Joseph Pulitzer died last week after a long bout with yellow fever. His family mourns his death, and HH Larson declared the day a Hold-wide holiday. This calamity is compounded due to his being prepared to release his all-encompassing study on the origins and meaning of life. More details are expected as more pigeons arrive.

DECISION REACHED ON BUDGET
In our very own Franciscohold less than two hours ago VB O'Neill finalized this year's budget, displaying an intense recognition for the needs of each Hold. From his statement, it may be surmised that attention shall be paid to developing the defensive and economic conditions of us Californios. A brand-new district is planned for Franciscohold, splitting the Lakeshore district in two and turning what was previously parkland into the Lake Factory Company as well as a new barracks and wall. LFC is expected to be one of the first operational factories after the Fall, and is expected to double the production of what was previously believed possible in Franciscohold. The barracks are space for extra troops in case of a siege, and shall be used to house engineers working on the Amazon Wall, named such for the gatehouse planned to be built in the Crocker-Amazon district. Although there is no completion date with any accuracy for the Amazon Wall, it is expected to rival those of our cousins in Constantinople. It is expected that LFC will create over a thousand jobs in Franciscohold, and branches should assist the development of the rest of the holds within the decade.

SUCCESS
Samuel Morse IV has announced that his Alta Telegraph Company has successfully reconstructed a telegraph wire over one mile long, and plans on reconnecting the rest of the holds by the end of the decade. This shall diminish our use of unreliable and scarce pigeons. Morse has requested a grant from the VB council to continue his efforts, and is reportedly in the process of opening a patent office as well as negotiating deals with several other start-ups, including one by a certain John D. Rockefeller, who had gained some notoriety for his Standard Wire company, which is expected to be, unusually, traded to Morse for a ranch and one hundred heads of cattle.

NATION CONFIRMED
It has come to the attention of the VB council that a vast swathe of our previous United States has become united under the control of the Church of Latter-day Saints, and is believed to be led by either a John Taylor or a Wilford Woodruff. This nation of Utah is believed to be nearly twice the size of all our holds combined, although our population sizes are fairly similar after the diaspora of the Confederates south. The VB council is expected to send an official envoy led by the great Miguel Francisco himself to meet these old brothers of ours.

EXPEDITION?
Shawn Marian is currently debating whether or not to travel south and explore for the lost Confederates. Rumor has it that a new Confederacy has been raised somewhere in Central America, and although contact would be a welcome miracle it is unknown whether the required troops can be transferred from the northern border, where roaming cannibal tribes continue to strike at Nortehold and Modochold.

-A.W.

OOC: I hope you all understand the jokes. Also: I'm not claiming that I start with double production at 4 IP. That article is about the sudden change in game mechanics from one to two IP in a capital territory.

Last edited:
OOC: I'm sorry for all these questions, but I'm really new to this.
1. Are Munitions considered part of armies, as in the tiers are added to armies, or must they be built seperately?
2. Are battles all-or-nothing, with the winner taking the land and destroying the other army? Or is it simply a victory with the losing army being sent back whence it came?

This seems a little complicated for me, but I heartily approve of the endeavor :) Good luck to y'allz!

I may change my mind though ;)

-L

No, I have a fair if definately not complete grasp of what's going on. I'm sure you can pick it up, especially since youve been here a lot longer. If you feel like you would have to watch a bit before playing, just take over the Hawaii campaign, you'll be doing nothing in no time.

I'm considering joining, but I don't know what in Oblivion one of these 'game' things is. How does it work? Does the game master own a modded computer game or something? Is it all played by PM?

All of the turn results are calculated by me, according to the rules I've formulated in the first post, but 99% of your interaction will be with the other players. This game looks set for a wonderful diplomatic arena.

A question: is it possible to use Culture Points to bring neutral territories into our state? For example, as I understood it in the books France-Outre-Mer absorbed what was left of Spain and its African colonies. Could I maybe do so via politics and a dynastic marriage? Could I rally the other surviving French colonies to the new Emperor's banner? Or do I have no choice but to do so with the bayonet?

You definitely could use Culture Points to peacefully win over neutral territories, but I'm going to try and keep it balanced vs. regular conquest. Spending to make the attempt doesn't guarantee success, but, as a general rule, the longer and better you lay the RP groundwork for something, the more likely you are to be successful. Spending more or less points than I consider the 'appropriate cost' will influence this, to a certain degree.

OOC: So, Armies cost 2 IP, Navies cost 4 IP. If we loose our opening battles, what then? Better yet there are multiple Island nations. Without a navy, expansion is completely impossible, and even if they started with one navy, any land invasion would be hard fought because they would likely start with one less army to comphensate for their navy.

I've tried to stress that first turn expansion IS going to be exactly this kind of wager. Perhaps it works and you gain a competitive edge, but if it fails you will be forced to slowly regroup. At any rate, I've taken measures to ensure that this game is not prone to steamrolling like the last Imperium. Plan your expansion carefully, or pay the price. ;)

I think The Caliphate, with its capital in Baghdad or Damascus, would be the most interesting nation to play. The Hand of Allah has struck down your Ottoman and Colonial oppressors...rise up and reassert your power!

Those neutral territories are still populated by other societies, in greater or lesser states of disarray. They will put up a fight if you try to conquer them - not as stiff as the cannibals in frozen Wastelands, but enough to make you consider your plans before charging in.

The map in the second post of this thread, which I'll keep updated, is automatically resized by this forum down to 800x350. If you copy or download it into an image editing program, it is actually 1400x600.

The territories are marked out from each other by the gray lines - they're the only borders on the map except black coastline. Every nation starts with just one, and even if different sizes they're all worth the same economically.

OOC: I'm sorry for all these questions, but I'm really new to this.
1. Are Munitions considered part of armies, as in the tiers are added to armies, or must they be built seperately?
2. Are battles all-or-nothing, with the winner taking the land and destroying the other army? Or is it simply a victory with the losing army being sent back whence it came?

Always feel free to ask questions - often times, they help me flesh out my ideas or consider scenarios I hadn't originally anticipated! And you're off to a fine start with your RPing; I'm looking forward to seeing more of your society.

1) Munitions bonuses affect the lethality of land battles. They do not need any action on your part to apply them; I do that myself when calculating battles. That leads into question 2.

2) Each defeated individual Army 'unit' has a 20% chance of being destroyed - this is what your Munitions research modifies. As the game progresses, battles will become much bloodier. I hope to represent the change in casualty rates from the early 19th century, when disease is the greatest cause of death, to the era of killing fields.

2j150ys.jpg

New Emperor crowned!

Constantinople - Yesterday, at 18:00 the crowning ceremony of Emperor Julian I commenced under great attention from international and national dignitaries from the church and state. Soon after, then crowned Emperor Julian I went to his first public speech giving it in front of the imperial palace to thousands of spectators from all over the nation, having come to witness this historic event.

Julian I was crowned after the great houses finally agreed on a new emperor following the signing of the first treaty of byzantium 2 months ago and even though there were some disgruntled voices in parliament raised, commentators speak of great upheaval following MoP Chaudrescus speech about the question of legimitacy of a new emperor, no one can disagree about the necessity of a strong leader in these times.

Among his first decrees the Emperor has ordered the raising of a new third imperial legion, which shall become active in the course of the coming year.

Emperor Julian I Coronation Speech speaks of War

Among his declaration speech on his coronation day, Emperor Julian also declared all of the balkans as his herital lands and as such the importance of war to regain the lands of the crown. We here at the Byzantine can barely contain our patriotic fervour at the thought of all the balkans finally back under the guiding hand of the glorious hegemony!

All hail Emperor Julian I of House Komnenus!

Last edited:
rel-lds.gif

A special scouting report directed to the Governor of Utah and the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles:

Report on the Current Status of the Western United States
March 12th, 1880

Most of the Utah Territory proper has been stabilized and is fully controlled by the territorial government.

The teetering remnants of the State of Colorado lie to the immediate east. Their silver boom-based economy has been wrecked by the Fall, which destroyed their trade routes, and they stand in the path of many desperate groups of refugees moving west. It might be wise for Utah to improve security along the entirety of the Rocky Mountains. And we could certainly use the silver there; the massive Leadville lode, discovered just before the Fall, has hardly been touched.

The Mormon colonies in Arizona and New Mexico report that their communities and surrounding areas have stabilized economically. Non-Mormon populations have been devastated by the loss of the cattle export industry; there are reports of a cowboy exodus from the region, heading towards California, Texas and Mexico. The Arizona and New Mexico Territorial governments are in a highly weakened but remain intact for now; talks are underway to improve cooperation with the Utah government. Zion’s Board of Trade is pushing an ambitious, unlikley plan to reroute the half-constructed Sante Fe Railway to connect Sante Fe to Salt Lake City.

Texas totters under martial law, led by Governor Edmund Jackson Davis. Davis is a civil war veteran, a Unionist Southerner who served as a general against his own motherland. He also served as a Republican governor of Texas for a term during Reconstruction. In the wake of the Fall, Davis marshaled a large group of federal troops, took control of the faltering Texas government, and instituted a strict marshal law. By 1880, he had set up a strict quarantine across the Mississippi River, preventing further refugees (or what are by now dangerous, desperate bands exhibiting cannibalistic behavior). For Utah’s security, it is likely in our best interests to support Governor Davis and the stability he represents. Texas must become the breadbasket of the region if we are to survive and remain prosperous.

California is a strange case: the people and cities seem entirely intact, but the State government has vanished, and seems to have been replaced with a weaker, more decentralized system. With the destruction of the telegraph and rail lines, communication has been sparse. We should contact them and attempt to reestablish trade and communication. The Zion’s Board of Trade would even like to get the railroads running again.

Further afield, Mormon colonies in Chihuahua, Mexico and Nevada should be contacted. If necessary, we may need to take steps to secure them. Also of strategic interest will be the Colorado River Valley, for both the much needed water supplies it represents and the fastest possible route from Salt Lake City to the ocean.

Special report signed,
W. F. Cody, Special Scoutmaster
Utah Territory Army

This letter is publicized in Salt Lake City, and circulated alongside a map:

utah1880report.png

Key:
Orange: Utah Proper
Light Orange: De Facto administered by Utah
Red: US Gov’t Remnants friendly and cooperating with Utah
Dark Red: Californios (borders not exact)
Grey: Areas of particular interest to the Utah Government

OOC: While mechanics-wise I control the entire territory, it makes no sense for the Mormons to have taken control of such a wide territory in just 2 years. So I'm going to play it out slowly, as plausibly as possible. :) This isn't quite what I originally planned, so I've edited my original post accordingly.

Last edited:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

John Percy looked out onto the harbour of the fledgling city of Euthenia from the Tannermann-Bigby building perched high on the hill-top. The building served both as a centre of government and costal defences. It was one of the only proper stone building in the city, many of the other buildings were built from scuttled ships, which could no longer be repaired. John Percy admired these building, covered with a thin layer of snow. It never snowed here before, but since the fall, in the coldest times in winter they had to deal with the snows. People scurried through the streets, underdressed for these early snows A damned thing, he thought to himself, you'd think that someone would be after two years prepared for the snow. The houses were simply not properly insulated against the cold-- neither the makeshift maritime shacks, nor the natives or Dutch colonists further up the shore. The snow didn't stop commerce though, and ships could be seen unloading cargo at the dock, even in this frightful cold. Back home this wouldn't be considered cold at all. The irony of the thought didn't occur to him, after all, the British Isles as they were now were certainly not the England of his youth. To him, these stories of a barbaric land were not of Albion. That land was now like mythic Avalon was lost forever in the mysts. No, not entirely lost, he thought, watching the smoke rise from the gathering halls, which were used to celebrate festivals. It was getting dark, but the sounds of merriment and smell of wild bird reached Percy in his lofty perch. The green hills of England may be lost to the snows, but there will always be an England, so long as names remained familiar in the mouths of the English like house-hold words: Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter, Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Glouster, be in their flowing cups freshly remembered. So long as they held fast to such things, was the long nights ne'er so long, and the cold winters ne'er so cold as to not be overcome by hearty British maritime spirit. Percy decided there was no sense in staying any longer, all the other clerks had gone home. But Percy had remained because he believed in his heart, never too cynical, in his work. He saw from these humble beginnings, a great state from a meagre city.

Invest 2 IP into construction of a Navy

200px-Coat_Arms_Empire_of_Brazil.svg.png

Establishment of the Imperial Academy of Engineering and Sciences

With the fall of the civilisation across the shattered globe, it is ever important to restore our knowledge of the engineering and sciences that shall become the vital element of our civilisation. Therefore, the Imperial Academy of Engineering and Science shall be established with many research societies to explore all avenues of the Engineering and Sciences. Many funding shall be available to these esteemed engineers and scientists. One of these societies that established is named "Imperial Aeronautical Society"

Establishment of the Imperial University of Brazil

Due to lost contacts with European civilisation, the Imperial University of Brazil shall be established in Rio de Janeiro to educate the future students and to encourage scientific simulation. It shall worked with co-ordination with the newly established the Imperial Academy.

" My men Now is the Winter of Korean Discontent. Factional divisions which had resulted in limited conflict in the years before have erupted into full scale total war across the entire Peninsula Invasion now would be a blessing to the Koreans. The Ice is strong and solid all the way to Korea. Victory will be ours. The armies of Me Yoshinobu and Kuroda will advance acroos the ice to face the Disorganised Koreans"Then his Navy Minister Enomoto Spoke up " What do you want me to do." I want you to invest all our industrial might in building a navy to prepare for an invasion of China If we don't strike hard for the main land then we have no hope of becoming strong enough to take over East Asia as Japan Should Being it's natural leader." Replied Yoshinobu. Then He joined the troops advancing across the thick Pack ice before him.