• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Backup OT is a separate forum, not connected to Paradox Off Topic but populated by a number of the same people (and some who no longer frequent the original OT for whatever reason).

OOC: Thanks! is it the oh-so-obvious backupot dot com?

Also, you may have had the five hundredth post, but I have the five hundredth response!

thedailytelegraph.jpg

Conflict with Brazil!

stereoview010.jpg

The gallant defence of redoubts in Grand Chaku against Brazilian irregulars

Conflict with Brazil has escalated with Brazil today after their Emperor launched numerous assaults into Grand Chaku, the Dominion's newest province, earned after the Later Argentine War. Redoubts in the region came under severe and unending bombardment and assault as the Falklander and Argentine regiments stationed in the region duelled with the Brazilians. Thankfully, the Brazilians made no progress - the stalwart discipline of our officers and general staff ensured the line was held, with significant casualties for our Portuguese foe.

This new war began only three weeks ago, with the surprise declaration of war from the Brazilian Emperor. The government suspected new wars in the Americas would not continue - this illusion has been shattered with the Confederate invasion of Columbia. This has disrupted the careful balance of power in the region. Thus Brazil, knowing the Columbians would be distracted, enacted his evil scheme to annex our proud nation. He citied as his reasoning for this aggressive invasion as his 'rightful' claims to former Paraguay and Uruguay, aswell as the restoration of the Pre-Fall governments of the Outer Falklands and the Grand Chaku. His first assault has focused on the latter, hoping that our soliders there would be ill-prepared for such an invasion. Despite the continued need to preserve and establish proper civilization and government in the province, formerly known as Gran Chaco (until being restored to the name the natives give it) our brave soldiers have clearly established their superiority will the successful defence of the region.

It is the subject of debate among the upper circles in society as to the reasoning of the Emperor. Some deem him mad, insane, and under the thumb of his ambitious military generals. Other cite influence from exiled Junta supporters, those who have surrived both portions of the Argentine war, or have been radicalised by our recent gains. Whatever his excuses and motivations, this war is now a reality, and from the opening moves, we have a clear advantage, one which Governor Goldsworthy is keen to exploit. Already he has stated his commitment to pursuing the war and taking our revenge, in whatever form he deems appropriate.

Orders:
Invade Brazil with Five Armies

OOC: As promised...kinda...almost there...perhaps not my longest, but it works.

A letter from Emperor Mikhail II Rurik to King Constantine V Mukhrani

Mukhrani you fool. For five years you have refused my offers to integration, my offers to rejoin what is rightfully Russian, rightfully Roman, and rightfully mine. I have called upon my people, the poor men you oppress, to come to my aid. You are no more.

Mikhail II Rurik, Emperor of Nova Roma and King of the Rus

Spend 10 CP to diploannex the province to my starting position's left (yes, this is technically for Russia)

Izvestia Russkie Ljudi

They have done it again. The Imperial Russians have reconquered yet more of their pre-Fall territory, and look to extend their land all the way to the Pacific within 5 years. At that point, they will be nearly as large as their pre-Fall territory land-wise. However, the good news is, the vast majority of this land is unpopulated, as not much was there even before that most disastrous event. The amount of resources needed to maintain this land is only outdone by how many the Imperials have gained; yet, this exchange distracts from the Nova Romans, and as such is certainly helpful- at least for now, until the Romans can once and for all overthrow the yoke of tyranny of the Chernomen. Invest 1 IP in completing 3 armies, spend 2 IP to build an army, invade the region north of Japan with 8 armies.

Empress Anastasia has finally given birth to a male heir, securing the throne of Rurik. Mikhail Walter Rurik is joining his older sisters Katrina and Analena in the imperial household, bringing great joy to his father Emperor Mikhail. M-Walter is a rather robust babe, and appears to be a perfectly healthy child. Astrakhan has had parades in celebration of the event, in the knowledge that he is the first Roman emperor to be born in Roman soil in nearly five hundred years. Out of respect for the Emperor, already called the Great, a vast statue is being planned for the square facing the Royal Palace. It is to be debuted the same day the city is christened Nova Roma not only in name, with a date being selected as this is read.

As always, I personally implore you, the reader, to not bring to light the existence of this paper. If the Okhrana were to find us...think of your children. What would happen if you were found with this paper? Obviously, you are a true man to even dare read this. So you must understand the risks, and the rewards, of this publication's continuing existence. I hope you found this news enlightening, and shall find the next installments' just as much so.

Roosevelt Out; Turns Eye Towards Frontier

eavmX.jpg

Roosevelt after giving his resignation address

The following was published by The Mormon Tribune in Salt Lake City:

Roosevelt Resigns!

Theodore Roosevelt has resigned his post as Premier after Congress’s composition failed to change for the new session.

The Premier has been campaigning personally, travelling the nation by train, giving speeches, in an attempt to rally support and influence the Territorial Governments to nominate Congressmen willing to repeal the Silver Standard. Though personally popular, Roosevelt failed to produce support for his policies. Most Territorial leaders were hesitant to follow Roosevelt into a return to partisan politics, and free silver is simply too popular among the farmers, homesteaders and transient workers.

Though Roosevelt’s re-election as Premier was assured, he resigned the post, citing his inability to influence the policy of the body he supposedly led. The Premiership has always been a constitutionally weak office; most of the power usurped by Roosevelt during the Western Civil War has been restored to the Presidency.

Roosevelt has turned his attention to personal challenges, though he says he still views the interests of the nation as his own. He says he is preparing an expedition into the Central Plains, beyond the homestead line. He claims he is eager to return to the life of the frontier that he left after the Fall.

Roosevelt is expected to be succeeded by Charles Wilson Nibley, a prominent LDS church member who has managed several important companies under the Zion's Board of Trade in the past few decades.

Last edited:
rel-lds.gif

Territorial Reorganization
&
Homestead Policy

The Congress and Quorum have passed into law two important laws that take into account the shifting circumstances of the nation pertaining to Territorial Reorganization and the homestead frontier.

Territorial Reorganization Act

The old borders of the States and Territories of the United States have outlived the era in which they were created; there has been widespread agreement that the old borders no longer matched the state of the nation. To that end, the Congress and Quorum have passed the Territorial Reorganization Act, which redraws the borders of the Territories and establishes the a new system of their administration.

The Colorado, Arizona and Nevada territories are annexed by the Utah territory, as well as half of New Mexico. Their governments have long been either non-existent or de facto arms of the Utahn local administration; this arrangement is now reflected by law.

The other half of New Mexico, as well as the Indian Territory and Louisiana, have been allocated to the government of the old State of Texas, which is now reclassified as the Texas Territory.

California’s borders have been slightly modified; it now consists of the area from around San Francisco Bay southward, to the northern half of Baja California.

Northern Mexico has been admitted as a Territory of equal standing with Utah, Texas, and California, and is titled Sonora-Chihuahua after the largest cities. This Territory has been fully Americanized by the past decades of refugee settlement and homesteading.

Mexico proper has been reorganized into a single territory; it is currently classed as a “probationary territory” until it reaches certain criteria, such as a percentage of the population being competent in English and being non-Catholic. The “Isthmus Territory” which includes the southernmost portion of Mexico, and the Yucatan, has been accorded similar status, though the government there is still being organized and its southern border is awaiting negotiation with the CSA.

The rest of the old United States has been classified as “frontier territory.” Citizens are discouraged from settling this land unless officially sanctioned by the government.

Homestead Act of 1911

The Homestead Act of 1911 supercedes the old Utahn Homestead Policy. Sonora-Chihuahua is no longer considered a homestead zone, with most of its land having been distributed.

The reaches of the northern Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio Rivers has been designated as the “Old Northwest” frontier territory, and opened to more aggressive homestead settlement. Similarly, a region containing Northern California and Oregon has been organized around the Californio-era fortified “Nortehold.” This new territory, renamed North Hold, has swelled in population from refugees from the San Francisco earthquake; they are encouraged to settle north, into Oregon, using homesteads.

In order to get the economy moving and encourage settlement in these areas, the government is offering not only free land, but free silver, to anyone who moves to the frontier and improves the land. Cash payments will be made on an annual basis to anyone owning property and living on homestead-qualified frontier territory. As usual, potential benefits per family depends on the number of family members.

Homesteading is barred on other frontier territories, which have been currently deemed too dangerous or too far-flung for the government to support resettlement.

The following is the official map of the central Territories and the frontier:

iVDTq.png

Key:`
Tan: Full territories
Orange: Homestead Frontier Territories
Brown: Out-of-Bounds Territory

6E7SS.jpg

An abandoned prairie homestead, ready to be claimed by pioneers

OOC: Hyzenhok, it looks like you forgot abut Hawaii!!

OOC: Bloody hell I've no time to myself as of late. :confused:

Here are my orders as insurance, but I do indeed expect to make an RP post later today.

Orders:

Spend 8IP to build Four Armies.
Invest 1IP in construction of a Fleet. (2/4)
Invade Congo with Seven Armies.
Use fleet to invade New Guinea with 5 Armies.

Orders:

Build 3 armies with 6Ic
Invade the Tibetan Plateau Region with 7 armies.

I'll Write an IC post later still annoyed after losing half of my armies in one attack what are the odds of that.

OOC: Bloody hell I've no time to myself as of late. :confused:

Here are my orders as insurance, but I do indeed expect to make an RP post later today.

Orders:

Spend 8IP to build Four Armies.
Invest 1IP in construction of a Fleet. (2/4)
Invade Congo with Seven Armies.
Use fleet to invade New Guinea with 5 Armies.

OOC: Really? I wouldn't go anywhere near Congo with all the armies in the world.

OOC: Really? I wouldn't go anywhere near Congo with all the armies in the world.

sssssshhhhhh....

hopefully, he'll be knocked down a few notches....

Invest 5CP and 2IP into Army Tech Level II (25 / 25).
Spend 2IP on one army.
Spend 1IP on second army.
Transport three armies with one fleet and invade West Germany.

OOC: Definitely getting a little bit disheartened here. These rolls are killing me.

OOC: I may be afraid of you, but a friendly warning: you may not want to invade an area which has a 75% chance of having at least 4 armies with only 3.

And don't worry, you're not the only one. This sort of thing is why games cheat their randomness in favor of the player- we don't feel fair unless things are in our favor :happy:

OOC: I may be afraid of you, but a friendly warning: you may not want to invade an area which has a 75% chance of having at least 4 armies with only 3.

And don't worry, you're not the only one. This sort of thing is why games cheat their randomness in favor of the player- we don't feel fair unless things are in our favor :happy:

OOC: If this is directed at me, note that it's three armies AND an air wing

masthead1906.png

ADMIRAL FISCHER: "ARAB CORSAIRS THOROUGHLY DESTROYED!"

The pirate lords of the Arabian Sea, who for so long plagued passages between Africa and India, have been sent reeling by Admiral Lord Fischer in a blow which is certain to hurry progress in the Canal's reconstruction. Captain Robert Falcon Scott, barbarously taken captive while on a diplomatic mission to a raider enclave in Sanaa, has been restored to freedom and good health by the squadron dispatched to his aid; Royal Marines fought several onerous engagements as they scoured the coastline of brigand ports. Local inhabitants, by tradition farmers of the most antique persuasion, have lived under the tyranny of bandit rule for decades and reportedly welcomed shore parties. Some enclaves, willingly or by coercion, refused to cooperate with demands that corsairs be surrendered, and were shelled to ruinous effect. Rudimentary semblances of civilised administration have already appeared, and Imperial authority will most certainly be extended to the southern ports of Arabia - at the very least, as a condition for the stability of commerce and travel across the Indian Ocean.

shackletonexpedition.png

Various scenes, as captured by our engaged correspondent, of Lord Fischer's flagship HMS Endeavour, HMS Aurora, and HMS Ajax. The Foreign Office confirmed that campaign honours will be awarded.

Captain Falcon Scott, recuperating in Bombay, is rumoured to be among the candidates for command of a forthcoming expedition to ascertain in greater detail the fate of the Cape Colony.

Orders: Invest 10CP in the Suez Canal.

Last edited:
Le Temps Nouveau

Imperial Wedding Special Edition

147px-Victoria_Luise_Herzogin_von_Braunschwieg-L%C3%BCneburg.jpg
165px-Prince_Louis_Napol%C3%A9on.jpg

The bride and groom

Prince Imperial Louis Alfonse Napoleon and German Princess Victoria Louise were married yesterday in a lavish ceremony in Rome's Sistine Chapel. For full details on the ceremony see our special double-sized society section.

The wedding marks a major milestone in Franco-Prussian relations. The German delegation for the wedding also finalized negotiations to open French ports to German shipping.

OOC:OOC: Don't know if I ever officially said it, but Germany has resupply rights in my ports for their return to europe

Not feeling inspired to write a lavish wedding. Just imagine a steampunky version of the whole William and Kate thing, at the sistine chapel

OOC: I'm going to try and make an RP post later tonight. Been swamped with things these last few days. Seems I'm not the only one.